It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hello from NYC!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nychusky1128
Newborn
Newborn

Hello from NYC! Empty
PostSubject: Hello from NYC!   Hello from NYC! EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 12:55 am

Hi everyone! Thrilled to have found this forum, been browsing anonymously for a bit, and realized I should probably say hi Smile

We are currently fostering a rescue husky who is 4 years old and super sweet. She was surrendered by an owner who had gotten her off Craigslist so not much is known about her history beyond that she lived successfully with kids and dogs. She's fairly overweight so I will be making exercise a priority, trying to get her to walk/jog with me and I want to find the best food for her diet.

We also have a cat who is acclimating to the new family member, but both of them have done so well, being very calm and just looking at each other then quickly each becoming disinterested. Both are very food-motivated so they cared more about treats than each other.

So at this point I'm looking for any tips and advice anyone might have for some first time owners/ideally, potential adopters if everything continues to go well!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Hello from NYC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from NYC!   Hello from NYC! EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 1:34 am

Welcome to the forum!! Thank you for fostering a husky, as you probably figured out they are demanding, funny, stubborn and sometimes quite snuggly, lol.......Lots of great people to answer questions. Huskies love routine, they love to play and have huge amount of energy, most do better on a grain free diet. Training will be an endless endeavor because they are stubborn, but, in the long run so worth it. They all have their own personality, and they will make you laugh until you cry.....Enjoy and any pics? we love pics here.....
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Hello from NYC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from NYC!   Hello from NYC! EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 9:35 am

Hi There! Welcome to the forum. Where are you located in the city? I'm on the upper west side, and Diz is always happy to make friends with a new husky girl. Smile
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

Hello from NYC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from NYC!   Hello from NYC! EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 10:10 am

Hello from Ohio!
Glad you rescued and hop it works to an adoption.
Lots a of resources here there is a lot of information on food under the food tab nutrition feed link
PLus there is one for training also that would be helpful! (if you did not find them already).

Glad you are here see ya around!

nychusky1128
Newborn
Newborn

Hello from NYC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from NYC!   Hello from NYC! EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 12:44 pm

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

MiyasMomma - we're working on pics, so far we just have some blurry dark ones! Victoria (the husky) is feeling a little sick still so she has only started to show her real energy and personality so we're excited to see what she's really like once she feels well and more comfortable.

wpskier - I'm on the upper east! Glad to hear from another city-living husky owner! Any NYC-specific tips are a plus, and it seems Victoria also likes to make friends (she was wanting to say hi every dog on our walk this morning!). Do you guys ever head to Central Park?

huskylear - thanks so much for the links! My first mission is to figure out the food. She's eating something that's not great so I want to smoothly transition her onto something more appropriate, and make sure to figure out portion control to help her get down to a healthy weight, so I'm excited to get down to work on the research bit of things. Training-wise, she knows the basics but I'm trying to incorporate a few things like "hold up" when we come to a crosswalk in the city, so she doesn't bound into traffic, and some directional cues for when we run paths in the park and need to make turns.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Hello from NYC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from NYC!   Hello from NYC! EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 2:34 pm

welcome, are you fostering through a rescue?
read all the sticky post at the start of each section for the most important info. and use the search button to look for things you may be wondering about and when you need to start a thread and ask a question.

also huskies for dummies is a good book. and hearing all our stories will help to!

Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Hello from NYC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from NYC!   Hello from NYC! EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 4:25 pm

She sounds pretty cute! We do love to go to Central Park! Mostly on weekends. We're between West End and Broadway, so Riverside is a frequent trip for us. There are a surprising amount of huskies in our hood! Smile

Huskies adapt to city life very well, so I can't say I have any city specific tips, other than, never walk out without poop bags, because you just never know. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hello from NYC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from NYC!   Hello from NYC! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from NYC!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: It's A Husky Thing :: The Welcome Mat-