It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Separation anxiety?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

separation - Separation anxiety? Empty
PostSubject: Separation anxiety?   separation - Separation anxiety? EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 9:58 pm

I have had a few coworkers tell me they though Simon had seperation anxiety. This kind of floored me because I had never thought that he did. Sure he would rather be with people or other dogs than alone but what dog wouldn't. Yes he will pace if left in the large run outside and will sometimes run the fence. He does some times cry or make husky unhappy noises when alone but at what point is it Separation anxiety?

He can be left at home out of his crate with Sadie and nothing is distroyed or anything. It has just got me worried what if I missed it.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety?   separation - Separation anxiety? EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 5:59 am

Elise, according to my current vet, who has 4 huskies under his care, pacing is a common form of separation anxiety. I personally think it's a pretty mild form, and imho, SA can manifest in different forms. For example with Miya as a puppy, it was total destruction. As a 2 year old, it's not eating. I have a thread from a week or two ago, and have pin pointed Miya's lack of appetite to only 2 things, hormones or separation anxiety. Is it cause for concern, maybe. If he's harming himself or things, then yes. If it's simply pacing, then I would monitor him, check on him, let him know you're around. At home he may not be this way, because he is comfortable and has Sadie.

I find it frustrating at times. Since they are so independent in nature, yet do not want to be with out their family. Tonight I worked, first time in four days, and Miya only ate half her food while I was here, and left the rest. Missing it, don't be mad at yourself, like I said, I believe it is a mild form of it. If it helps any, try keeping a journal, doesn't have to be elaborate, but it may be easier for you to see his triggers (as in does he pace every day, or only days you are not around him that much). Also, for me, like today, I did not play with Miya as much as I normally do(cold and rainy today), so I think for her and I, it's about our quality time as much as me feeding her alone vs feeding her when we eat as a family. Keeping a journal, is giving me insight, as well as how I can adjust things to make her happier, and less feeling separated from me.

I hope that helps a little, a lot of this, again for me, has been trial and error.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety?   separation - Separation anxiety? EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 12:17 pm

This pacing and crying is while you are at work? ANd you work at a doggie daycare or something like that? So then, his being alone would be with other dogs and you rather close by but just not in the same room?

If all the above are true, I sincerely doubt this is separation anxiety. If Ami is in the kitchen with us and wants outside or wants to play with Archer in another room, he will pace big time. Ami has otherwise shown no signs of separtaion anxiety. He actually prefers to be in another room or have a little distance from us.
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety?   separation - Separation anxiety? EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 11:25 pm

The pacing is when he is in a pen alone but he also likes to run the fence. I think it's kind of a board and something to do thing. And we rotate who is out playing and he throws a bit of a tantrum when he is in a kennel alone but he is much better if Sadie is with him.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety?   separation - Separation anxiety? Empty

Back to top Go down

Separation anxiety?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1