It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Mt. Washington Hike?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 11:06 am

Although, it would be helpful if someone could post a supply list. It's been forever since I've camped!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 11:12 am

I'm working on getting one together for everyone, actually Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 2:32 pm

Ok, so here's what you guys need to start gathering together.

For general camping:
tent
tent footprint (tarp to keep water from seeping up)
sleeping bag
sleeping pad (don't NEED it, but it's nice)
cookware
food (we can sort of plan that one out as a group)
Water (I don't mind using a filter/iodine, but not everyone may feel that way...)
flashlight/headlamp
waterproof matches/fire starter kit
knife
toiletries (having spent a decent amount of time in the field, this one is HUGE. I HIGHLY recommend throwing some baby wipes in with your stuff, plan on not having a real shower for a couple days)
More socks/underwear than you think you'll need

For the hike:
Good, sturdy shoes.  Some trails are ok if you wear running/athletic shoes, this is not one of them. If you don't have hiking shoes/boots, give me a shout and I can recommend some good ones that are reasonably priced.  *Break them in properly* I can't stress that enough.

Trekking poles. Not required, but they do come in handy especially when you're being dragged down a rocky section of trail by crazed sled dogs. I'm bringing mine.

Daypack.  You can get decent packs from REI that won't break the bank, and they have some sales going on right now.  Their online store is awesome if you don't have one near you.  You need to be able to carry your own, and possibly your dog's crap up the mountain, and I won't let you go if you're not planning on carrying basic survival stuff.

Waterproof pants/jacket, at a bare minimum waterproof jacket.  It really sucks getting caught in the rain and being cold and soaked, and I really don't want to deal with hypothermia on this one.  It's possible there in July.

Wool/synthetic hiking socks.  You'll really regret wearing cotton, trust me.

Small first aid kit for you and your dog.  I carry one with me everywhere, finally needed to use it yesterday.

Layers.  The weather is unpredictable up there, plan for everything.  As with the socks, synthetic wicking material is far and away the best.

Hat and gloves. See above...

Water.  Get a bladder to put in your pack, most of the ones you can get now have a special bladder compartment and hose routing.  I have a 3L bladder, I fill it all the way before setting out.

Trail food.  Power bars, trail mix, energy stuff (not red bull, but the stuff that triathletes and distance runners use), anything high carb and high protein.

Booties for your dog.  This trail is super rocky.

I also tend to carry a thermal space blanket and signaling devices as well as a compass and at least one knife when I go.  Do you need those?  No not really.  Are they a good idea?  Absolutely.

I'm probably leaving some stuff out, I'll periodically update this as I remember stuff and anyone else is welcome to chime in.  I'm not trying to be an ass about the hike stuff, and I also don't want to scare anyone.  Washington is a very doable mountain (I did it with no training/experience at 17 with experienced friends), but absolutely needs to be respected.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Last edited by blueeyedghost on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding items to bring)
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 3:04 pm

For someone who has never gone on a real hike that is a very intimidating list.

blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 4:47 pm

It looks a bit intimidating to someone new, but it's actually not as daunting as it looks. Shoes and packs can be a bit pricey if you're not careful, but if you look for deals you can get them pretty cheaply. The rest can all be bought at like Walmart or something. I'm stressing certain things because every time I go out I come across people who are completely unprepared to be in the backcountry and they're the ones that get into a lot of trouble. It really isn't as daunting as it looks though, and I'm happy to work one on one with anyone who wants a better hiking setup.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 2:55 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
Well, I wouldn't be able to do the 31st, but I'm in if you do the prior weekend. Smile

So if its a choice between the 31st and no Jenny and the 24th WITH Jenny - I'll go with the 24th. Car show or no car show!

I'm keeping my options open - worst case, I start going back half way throught hike.

Meredith - my hiking shoes have always been low cut - stiff and sturdy, but low cut - but I've never climbed anything of this terrain before. Are ankle boots that much better in these conditions?

Also - Meredith, one of the lists I saw for hiking tuckerman's, even in summer, included a wool hat and gloves or mittens (if we pack all this, of course we will break the heat record for the area lol! )

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 3:34 pm

I shot Aidan a PM, he's trying to make the 24th work as well.

On the topic of shoes, if you know what works for you go for it. I personally need boots because of my ankle issues, but if low hikers work then go for it. What I don't want to see is someone in a pair of Teva sandals or running shoes Razz

I should expand the layers section to include hat and gloves, those are definitely a must. I need to add trekking poles in the "good idea" category as well, I'll likely bring mine because I need some extra support when the dogs are trying to drag me downhill. Really could have used them on Sunday up at Catoctin Mountain.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 8:28 pm

I am really laughing. You said no Tevas etc... right now my favorite trail shoes ARE a pair of Tevas. But not like anything I've ever seen before and not a sandal but a real, laced shoe.. Mostly I got them because they were marked way down and I loved the colors (pink gray and orange). And they were goretex. But very funny looking... sort of wings out of either side of the arch. And a somewhat lowered, rounded heel. I figured nothing else was working for my arthritic toe, I might as well at least like the color.

But, I suspect, still too flexible for rock scrambling.

My PT recommended walking poles for me. I liked the idea better than a cane. But, I don't know how to use them while Ami is on leash. Fortunate, he is really good to me on down hill, gnarly terrain...I just repeat "easy" and he slows way down, actually hovers next to me to sort of add a bit of stability.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 10:46 pm

Yeah I've hiked in Tevas before, but this is too rocky for them. With trekking poles, you may want to look into a musher's belt. I have one for my two idiots and love it. It frees up my hands while hiking and running and I feel a little safer with it.

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 2:40 pm

Alrighty, been talking with Aidan and making some phone calls since a lot of the info on the internet is conflicting. First off, I think we're settled on the weekend of the 24th-26th of July. I'm going to leave early on Friday the 24th and head up with the intention of camping near the trailhead on Friday night. It's about a 9 hour drive for me depending on traffic, which would put me in around dinnertime. Plan on camping Friday, hitting the trail early on Saturday, and then camping again on Saturday night unless you live reasonably close and want to head home after the hike.

So, who is in? If you want to do this, you should get out and start hiking some on weekends to get you and your dog(s) in shape. Pick trails with some elevation gain, the trail we're taking has 4300' of vertical which is no joke. Also if you can, pick rocky trails to get used to it. I'm headed down to Shenandoah this weekend, and I'm happy to help you find good training trails. My intention is to spend most weekends between now and then hiking, I want to be in decent shape for this. The last time I did it I did so with no conditioning whatsoever, but I was young and dumb Razz

I've been on the phone with the US Forest Service getting info, and here are their guidelines on backcountry camping:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5363715.pdf

We're going to do the Tuckerman's Ravine trail, and I'll get directions out to the trailhead a little closer in. I think that's all for now, but I definitely do want to start getting a decent head count.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 4:46 pm

So far, we are still hoping to go. Wayne says worse comes to worst, I can be the camp cook.

Camping at the trailhead - does that mean backpacking in and leaving cars behind?

Rocky hiking we have plenty. Steep terrain, too. Elevation? A drop in the bucket compared to Mt. Washington lol!

We shall see - Wayne had another bout of gout 2 days ago. Beginning to look like we may be going almost completely vegetarian if this doesn't stop...
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 6:56 pm

Camp cook? I'm totally cool with that Razz

One of my research bits I'm still working on is how close we can park to the Tuckerman trailhead. The rules are you have to be 200' away from treeline, trailheads, and water, and 1/4 mile from any recreation area. I'd prefer not to have to backpack in, myself.

Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 9:58 am

I am so jealous. But I just can not see handling Bourbon and 15 hours camping the hiking camping then 15 hours. Sad IT would have been fun to train for too. We love hiking but do day small 4 mile things no elevation like that. I got to get to some more places though.

wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 1:42 pm

Couple questions... Anyone have extra room in their tent? This city girl has nothing camping related and I can't see buying a ton of gear for one trip...

Other question, how busy can we expect the trail to be? And what's the policy for off-leash dogs? I'll most likely let Diz loose if possible, especially on the downhill.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 1:45 pm

I need to go digging through my camping bin and see if my extra tent is there. If it is, you're welcome to use it. They have the standard 6' leash rules that you find at pretty much any park, but I doubt you'll have any issues as long as Diz isn't a jerk (and I know he's not).

Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 1:47 pm

He would be so happy to see his mostly reformed bratty partner in crime, Little D...
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 1:50 pm

Little D will be thrilled to see him too Smile

Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 5:39 pm

I have a small tent I could ship or at least check to see how much it is to ship if Meredith does not have her extra.

capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 10:52 am

Well, it's unlikely we'll be able to make the trip, but if you guys want to stop by our house on the way up or on the way back for a little playdate in our pretty large back yard (fully fenced with six-foot vinyl), let me know!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 11:39 am

If I leave early enough on Sunday that might be fun. It's a 9 hour drive for me though.

On another note, for those of you who may need dog type supplies, Backcountry K9 is having their 4th of July sale. They carry a lot of good outdoorsy stuff like Ruffwear, and the sales are always pretty good.

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 1:15 pm

REI is going to be having a 4th of July sale as well, if anyone needs any human stuff.

Seriously though, who is in?

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 2:42 pm

Meredith - count us in, provided its not backpacking into a campsite - don't think I'm up to that. At the moment, not up to anything, but the pred should take care of that by then. Even if I don't complete the hike, I would love to camp with you guys, meet all of you...and the White Mountains are wonderful in the summer!

Jenny - if you haven't found a tent yet, I'll talk to Josh. He has a tent we gave him for his birthday a while back. I have to see what kind of condition it is in.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 2:47 pm

There shouldn't be backpacking to get into the campsite, I'm specifically trying to avoid that. I have a spare tent as well, I did find it the other day.

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 9:25 pm

So right now I have Amy, Aidan, Jenny and possibly 2 of my friends from Annapolis. Anyone else want in? Need to get a solid headcount so we can start planning the fine details.

Back to top Go down
massak
Puppy
Puppy
massak

Male Join date : 2012-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 3:36 pm

If you all (yinz) ever do a trip to the Dolly Sods wilderness area in WV I'll join in the fun Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mt. Washington Hike?   Mt. Washington Hike? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Mt. Washington Hike?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next