It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Food agression in 13 week old puppy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

Male Join date : 2015-04-06

Food agression in 13 week old puppy Empty
PostSubject: Food agression in 13 week old puppy   Food agression in 13 week old puppy EmptyTue May 26, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi there everyone!
So Koda has had 2 isolated instances now where she has growled and snapped at other people who try to touch her while she is eating. These two times it was something tasty. The first time it was a pup pop with peanutbutter and yogurt and stuff. A kid started to pet her and she tucked her tail and started growling and snapped at him, so I held her to the ground until she submit and I let her up. The second time she found a pickle and a little girl started to pet her and she snapped at her and bit me when i pulled her away, so I held her down again until she submit and took the pickle away. Other than these two times she fine with me touching her while shes eating. She will wag her tail and keep on eating. Both times its been with kids so I don't know if she thinks they are like puppies who will take her food or if its only with stuff she thinks is tasty. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Back to top Go down
http://tylerjenkinsmusic.com/
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Food agression in 13 week old puppy   Food agression in 13 week old puppy EmptyTue May 26, 2015 3:08 pm

First of all, stop with the "hold her down until she submits" stuff. Temporarily - no kids near her while she is eating.

Now - to change this, start hand feeding her. Sit on the floor, hold her bowl or a cup with her kibble or whatever and hand feed it piece by piece. Or hold the pup pops while she licks/eats it. (We take Ami and Archer for ice cream now and then - husband gets a bowl for them and a spoon and he feeds them by spoon - one for you Ami, one for you Archer. They have to sit, too, before they get their turn.)

If the kids she is snarling at are yours - are they old enough, they could sit in your lap and you can guide them in hand feeding? I wouldn't do this the very first time you are hand feeding, but once you see that she is accepting, you could introduce the kids to handfeeding her.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Food agression in 13 week old puppy   Food agression in 13 week old puppy EmptyTue May 26, 2015 8:04 pm

I agree with Amy. The submission thing won't really work. The best thing to do is hand feed her and I would keep the kids away completely until they understand not to pet her while eating, or until she no longer has food aggression. And like Amy said, you can also teach them to hand feed her and hopefully she can get comfortable with everyone around her while she is eating.

Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

PostSubject: Re: Food agression in 13 week old puppy   Food agression in 13 week old puppy EmptyWed May 27, 2015 10:28 am

Thank you all very much for the help! I heard the submission thing from other people, but I guess they are just as misinformed as I am. I will start doing that, but if she does get snappy, what do I do? I don't want her to get away with it, She is VERY dominant of everyone and everything so I don't want her thinking she's the boss. This is my first Husky so any advice is greatly appreciated!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Food agression in 13 week old puppy   Food agression in 13 week old puppy EmptyWed May 27, 2015 10:47 am

The key is...you hold the food in your hand.  She doesn't get it if she's snappy - like this:

You are sitting on the floor, kibble in hand. You call her to you/she comes to you.  tell her sit.  If she sits, you offer a few pieces of kibble.  If she doesn't sit or she snaps/snarls or lunges you withdraw your hand with a "uh uh" or "no-no". When she is again sitting and waiting, offer it again.She probably will be very eager and not lunging will have to be shaped over time by gradually raising the bar on how much (little) lunging is allowed.  She should get the hang of it quickly. Initially, you may have to tolerate more exuberance and give her the kibble as soon as she sits so she gets the idea that the food is attainable.
Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

PostSubject: Re: Food agression in 13 week old puppy   Food agression in 13 week old puppy EmptyWed May 27, 2015 11:21 am

Understood, I'll start doing this! Thank you very much for the help! Ami is very handsome. I've seen your posts on the rest of the site and think to myself every time how pretty he is!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Food agression in 13 week old puppy   Food agression in 13 week old puppy EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:42 pm

I seem to be late on most topics - Tyler, the only thing I'd add to the other advice is a standard "keep a leash on her". Snappy dogs and human hands (especially little human hands) are a bad mix. If you have her on a short leash (like around 3 feet long) you can grab that and remove her from the situation. What I've done from time to time is to step on it so the leash goes just in front of my heal - that way I can pull up (away from the dog) and the dog has to go down. Tends to temper a bad situation quickly.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

PostSubject: Re: Food agression in 13 week old puppy   Food agression in 13 week old puppy EmptyThu May 28, 2015 10:49 am

Thank you al! I do always keep her on a leash, but the stepping on a leash is a good idea! Its only happened twice, but normally she is the best dog! She's a fast learner so hopefully we can work through this while she is still little! Thank you all for the help!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Food agression in 13 week old puppy   Food agression in 13 week old puppy Empty

Back to top Go down

Food agression in 13 week old puppy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1