It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

again issues in the crate idk what to do =/

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2014-10-10

crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ Empty
PostSubject: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 1:46 am

Bandit is acting out in the crate again straight length of videos. CRYING!!!! pulling on the crate to try to escape. CRYING!!! FREAKING OUT... idk what to do anymore... wtf do I do!?

im making a video now. have it up soon
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 3:01 am

I read your other posts on the issue and I am wondering why he is crated at all when you are home aside from overnight? (maybe that has changed, I was just catching up on older posts) and as others have said from the older posts, it is clear he longs to be with you since you are his pack. But, if this is how you want his schedule to be then perhaps finding time to exercise him harder or more before crating him will help. I think even a slightly tired dog will be less inclined to freak out as much. Or you can give him something to stimulate his mind while in there like some kind of toy with food inside he needs to work to get to.
Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 9:06 am

toys in the crate do not work unless it has food in them. I always come here first before thinking( yeha I know prob should just think a little) she sleeps in the bedroom with me now since the crate is in the basement. Maybe it is that she just wants to be with me. I wonder if I can make her a little more independent on wanting to be around me.
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 11:26 am

Huskies share many similarities with wolves and one of the biggest is their pack drive. They are social dogs that require time with the pack and he does just want to be with you. I don't think you can shape his personality to be more independent lol with enough time in this schedule he may learn to tolerate it though. Huskies are a very demanding breed of dog.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 12:27 pm

I agree with Freya - Bandit just wants to be where you are. Period. When you have a dog or a child, it is a committment to being with them, responsive to them. You are away long periods of the day working - when you are not working, you need to have your dog near you. She will be much happier, more settled and less neurotic.
Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 1:07 pm

When I'm home she is glued to,me. I get up she follows. I try to take her with me When into places as long as dog's are allowed.
Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 10:09 pm

everyday so far crying CRYING CRYING idk what to do she never used to do this. she used to sleep that's all. she sound pathetic. what changed? what should I do....
Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 10:25 pm

I'm gonna try putting her in the crate while home. Tire her out and let her hang in the crate(crates in the basement) all alone and I'll be upstairs doing whatever. See if she is calm or not crying. I was speaking with my aunt and she believes that bandit is now associating the crate to me not being home. Seems legit. Couple breaks in the crate for her a day when I'm home. Should I start making her sleep there or maybe just not yet?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 10:53 pm

Tony, I'm going to be blunt and you're not going to like it - too bad.

If you don't change your mind about what Bandit means to you, it's not going to be too many months before you give her up to someone.  I have one dog who is seldom more than a foot away from me - unless he gets out to have a run - I have to step over him when I get up in the morning, I have to step around him when I'm in the kitchen, I have to step over him when I get up from the computer, there are few times that I can't just reach out and touch him - and you know something, it doesn't bother me a bit.

If she were your girlfriend (or boy friend, your choice) and you treated her the way you treat Bandit, she'd be justifiably pissed and probably pretty outspoken about it.  Bandit's being as outspoken as she can be but you and she just don't speak the same language.

You want 'your space' - I'm sure your wife (when / if you ever have one) will be just a pleased when you want your space, for some reason wives just don't understand that.

Sure, put her (the wife or Bandit) in the basement while you're home, it'll just give you more reason to want to get rid of her.  You took this pup in and in so doing, you made a life long commitment to her; but then that's okay, people get divorced all the time, parents throw their kids out for all sorts of reasons - but the chances of an ex-spouse of a kid being killed when they get tossed out are slim.  It's a real slippery slope when you start passing a dog around, eventually someone's going to get tired of it and turn it in to the pound and then it's dead.

If you seriously don't have the time for Bandit, then take the time to find her a good home with someone who has the time and the love to give her.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 11:00 pm

Ummm no I think you are wrong I do have time. I'm trying to find a way to get her to not cry and howl in the crate. From the videos it is stressing her out. Panting, trying to escape. I feel like all she associates the crate with is me not being home and her being left alone. She is glued to me and that's fine. Again I just want to help her be calm in the crate.
Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 11:02 pm

I never meant keep her in the crate all day. I meant for about 30mins to an hour. Then let her out. So far she has only made a few peeps and it's been about an hour. I have my go pro set up and she was sleeping for a while and now she is just laying there
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 12:22 am

Tony, what are you trying to accomplish with the crate? When do you want her in the crate? Can she be trusted loose in the house when you're not home?

There is no way Ami or archer would tolerate being crated in the basement while we were walking around upstairs... especially if we had been away all day.

What might help is for you to keep her routine consistent so she knows what to expect.
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 3:11 am

I still feel you haven't really answered why the dog is being crated at all when you are home... We understand you want her to be silent in the crate (who wouldn't) but if you are home why is she in the crate? The dog is acting that way because from the little information you have given us, is that Bandit is confined to a crate for the majority of it's day. I assume you work or go to school, which means you crate her when you leave for work/school. Then you come home and take her out of the crate to do some exercise but then she goes back to the crate? If that's the case I don't see how that is fair for Bandit. I have to agree with Al on this. A husky is a working dog bred to run, work and pull sleds. In fact they are one of the only domestic dogs on par with the wolf in distance they can travel in a day. That means tons of energy. Putting that energy in a crate with not much of an outlet will lead to results you are experiencing. Also as stated before they are pack animals and need people or other animals around them. If this is not what you signed up for in getting this breed of dog then take Al's advice.
Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 8:25 am

She is in the crate when I'm not home. I never have her in there if I am. I started to to think she associates being in the crate with me not there and that's when she acts out and cries. She used to never do this. She would sleep the entire time. While time in the crate... Now she handle, crying and from the,looks Of the videobfreaking the hell out. It can't be good for her. She's gets plenty of walks and excersize. Play with her and give her attention. Last night when she was about to,fall asleep I decided to put her in the crate so she can sleep in there. Try to bring back that the crate is okay. She was sleeping for about 30mins and the other 30 mins she was is It laying there but awake. She knew in was home but couldn't see me so she has no problem with the crate if I'm home. Its once I leave she freaks out. She doesn't sleep at all or relax in there.

The routine has always been the same. Wake up, outside for potty and some play, food, crate for work, come home for lunch, walk and some running, back to work Then home again. Hasn't changed since day 3 with her.

Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 8:26 am

The real issue here I think is her being alone. Not so much the crate. She whines and cries of I'm outside talking to a neighbor and she can even see me.
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 11:36 am

Oh okay that clears things up a bit. Separation anxiety is pretty common and just takes some effort to fix that behavior. I know there are other posts on here that explain how they handled a dog like that but here is a link you can read to get an idea on what needs to be done to help. http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/separation-anxiety
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 1:37 pm

cosmothunder wrote:
<< snipped >>
The routine has always been the same. Wake up, outside for potty and some play, food, crate for work, come home for lunch, walk and some running, back to work Then home again. Hasn't changed since day 3 with her.

While your routine may always have been the same, by your own comments the situation in which Bandit lives aren't.  For a simple example, her crate has been in the basement, your bedroom and one other place but I'm not sure where that was.

cosmothunder wrote:
(May Cool I may just be over reacting and probably know the answer to this but right now bandit is freaking out. Crying and howling bloody murder. Is it cause she knows I'm home? I've been using my go pro to record what she does when I leave for work and not a peep. She plays with a few toys then basically sleep. Am I right? Do you think I'm right? I can post videos when she is done her fit. I am putting her in the crate partially to get her used to being in there when I'm home and also to get to the bottom of her issues of sometimes in the crate.

Almost two months ago you comment about having her in the crate while you're home.  The general feedback you got was "Why is she crated when you're home?" Your response two months ago was and still is that you "... want to get her used to being in the while I'm home ..." which is seriously not an answer and is not a realistic expectation.  

One other place, and I can't find it at the moment, you comment about her being unhappy about being in time out in the crate. That's about the worst possible use for a crate since it delivers the wrong message.  Her crate should be *her* safe place, her place to be able to relax but you're using it for punishment, you're using it to separate her from you while you're in the house .... and then you wonder why she has anxiety when she's crated.

You chose a breed that in many peoples opinions is one of the absolute worst breeds for a first time dog owner.  Huskies are intelligent, they *had* to "think" when they were in harness; they have a strong desire to "understand" what's happening to them and why.  They were raised, en familia, they were often the babysitters and warmers for the Chukchi and that holds through to them today ... only a few steps removed from their ancestral home and none at all genetically.

They have an intentional, inbred desire to be with their people!  Intentional separation while you remain close is cruelty.  You said that she was upset when you stepped outside to talk to a mate, I understand that - you put a wall between you and her and disallowed her the opportunity to socialize (which seemingly is almost as important to canines as it is to humans)

You have said almost from the first "I want to control ...", get over it!  You can show a Husky that you would like this action or response ... but, in the sense of controlling her, it ain't gonna happen.  She will willingly do what you want *if* she "understands" why you want it and if it "makes sense" to her.  It's your responsibility to help her make sense of it.

You have continuously expressed a desire to be "in control" in the worst possible ways.  I'm honestly surprised that you didn't get bit when you were "getting in her face" while she was eating; ditto when you wanted to take her food bowl while she was eating, ditto when you tried to take a chew toy ... you're interfering with a basic drive (food) without the requisite training (on her or your part) to back it up.

At almost a year old she's still quite trainable (my 6 year old is still quite trainable!) but you're seriously going to have to learn how to get the realistic results you want and forget about trying to get those that aren't realistic.

I am not being mean or facetious or sarcastic - if you plan to keep Bandit, you have a very steep learning curve ahead of you, one that involves respecting her innate desires to be the dog she was bred to be.  What you've been doing is not working and I don't think that trying to garner second hand knowledge here is going to give you a decent solution, it hasn't so far.

You come here when you're frustrated and when you're frustrated is the worst possible time to try to work with any dog. They sense that frustration, don't understand it and don't know what to do.

I quit, I'm frustrated and I don't know how to help you ... worse, I don't know how to help Bandit.

Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 5:36 pm

Al I don't want to control her. She listens well, she attached at my hip. She loves spending time with me and i,love spending time with her. Walks, playing ball in the yard. Going to the dog park. I love giving her attention. The whole thing here is just the crate trouble. I do realized I have moved it around a bit and that can be upsetting to her. It's most likely separation anxiety. Last night, as I said. She started to fall asleep so told her go to her home. She went in and slept. I was upstairs and not one peep. She knew in was home. Let her out after about 45mins. I think that pretty much sums up she doesn't like it when I'm not home. That's what I need to work on with her.

As for food, toys and the other stuff. I believe that was good teaching. Showing her if I took something from her, have her a treat and then give it back that taking things from her was okay and a good thing. She is great with food now. No aggresion. No showing teeth if I approach. I hand fed her for a month. She is now to a point where inset her food bowl down with food she sits and waits for me to snap my fingers before she eats. Any issues I've had before are no longer present.

I try my best to be the best parent to my dog. I have a demanding job with long hours that make things rough but i always find a way to make it home to take care of her in the middle of the day. I have the best intentions for her, please don't ever think I don't.
Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 11:17 pm

Here was just one video.

https://youtu.be/C8JnIR4DWr4
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 1:36 am

Tony, I think you are creating the anxiety, just like the food problem you had. That is not to diminish you, but that is not the greatest of places to put a husky in a crate. She has nothing to entertain her, no windows, no light, nothing. She sees it as a punishment, not crate time. Just like what everyone else said, the crate is not to be used as a time out. If I recall correctly you moved the crate to the basement because it was cooler than the main floor, then for heaven's sake get the main floor cooler, and put her crate back up to the main floor and your issues will be over.

To many of us, a husky is so much like a child, you must treat them as such. would you do that to a 4 year old child? I understand the demanding job, but Bandit should be your stress reliever, if she is not, you must consider changes. You have one of the prettiest huskies I have ever seen, she is a doll, and only wants to make you happy by spending her time with you. Make her the companion that you need, she will fulfill a lot of the things you are missing, such as a companion who adores you, and wants to be your friend. Life is better with a husky, and you seem to play odds with that statement.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 2:16 am

I'm sorry on my pissy tablet and hit a 'bad advice' by mistake, would someone please reverse that.

Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 2:27 am

aljones wrote:
I'm sorry on my pissy tablet and hit a 'bad advice' by mistake, would someone please reverse that.

Done Smile

I've had it happen too many times with me and my "pissy tablet" Wink
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 2:33 am

Thanks Jimmy.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 8:56 am

Glad to see I am not the only one with pissy tablet lol!

I almost routinely have to tell the damn thing its "husky" not "whiskey" Mad
Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 11:29 am

So you believe if I moved it back to either bedroom or first floor things would be better? My thoughts were if she was more a customed to the crate again. She would be okay with it.
Maybe it's cause she doesn't sleep in the crate anymore. Maybe it's cause it's in the basement like you said.

Bandit is my stress relief. Going on walks and playing inn the backyard is how I unwind from day to day. All the compliments I get through the neighborhood and dog park are the greatest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: again issues in the crate idk what to do =/   crate - again issues in the crate idk what to do =/ Empty

Back to top Go down

again issues in the crate idk what to do =/

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next