It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Litter preference etiquette?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
amozo
Puppy
Puppy
amozo

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

Litter preference etiquette? Empty
PostSubject: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 2:25 pm

Hey, I was wondering what the best puppy buyer etiquette is, specifically regarding preference of the litter. I have a deposit down with a great breeder in Northern California. I have second pick of the litter and there are four puppies, two boys and two girls. I currently own a male and female dog that are both close to 4 years old. The female is more alpha than the male, so for this reason I am leaning towards getting a male puppy. There is one male puppy that is grey that I am absolutely in love with. The other male puppy (red) is cute as well, but my heart is leaning towards the grey male. Both boys are mellow. I have to give the breeder my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice. What if I only have one choice? I know my deposit can be rolled over to the next litter, but I don't want to offend the breeder or come across as shallow or unfit as an owner. I was interested in the red girl of the litter, but after our meet and greet they told me she was the alpha of the four, so temperament wise I don't think that's the best option for me, but I do love her face. Anyways, my question is how can I politely express the fact that I want the gray boy as my first pick and my second pick will be from the next litter they have late this Fall. Or shall I be willing to take the other red boy?

The breeder has expressed that he believes I understand what it takes to own a Siberian husky and thinks I will make a good owner, but I don't want to say or do anything that will jeopardize that. I have done countless research and have husky proofed my house. I believe I will be a great owner willing to dedicate 1-3 hours daily, exercising my dog with a few more hours of added snuggles and backyard fun. I am only gone for 4-5 hours at a time maximum, but usually closer to 3-4 hours.

Last edited by amozo on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar)
Back to top Go down
vbear
Newborn
Newborn
vbear

Female Join date : 2015-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 2:46 pm

I haven't had a lot of experience with buying from breeders, but it seems to me he would respect your decision if you wanted to wait for a new litter. You've obviously put a lot of thought into this, I think that's very responsible if you want to wait for the right pup to come along.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 4:04 pm

If you only have one choice, then that is what you should give the breeder.

When I bought Kohdi, the litter was already born and had a long waiting list, however, most of the people on the list were wanting reds, those people rolled their deposit over to the next litter...those that didn't ,made their choices on the litter and then I got to get Kohdi. Kohdi was (and still is Smile ) such a beautiful puppy, I think I was really lucky, and even told the breeder that, she agreed...the greys that were chosen before me all had 2 eyes of the same color, and Kohdi has parti eyes, she said unfortunately that is more than likely the criteria used when they made their choices. I didn't care about parti eyes though, I just wanted Kohdi ...and the breeder was happy he went home with me Smile

I think the breeder will more than understand your position knowing you already have 2 dogs currently in your home, and would not even want to send one of her puppies home with you if you weren't *comfortable* with that puppy/ your choice.
Back to top Go down
amozo
Puppy
Puppy
amozo

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 5:57 pm

Thanks for your help! Smile I sent a nice e-mail going over my 1st choice and asking if my 2nd choice could be first pick or a pick from the next litter in the Fall. I also gave my 2nd and 3rd pick of this litter in case that is not an option. Honestly, the other pups are all adorable too. I do have my heart set on one for his personality, amazing structure and unique markings. I hope I can get him, but I won't be upset if I don't.
Back to top Go down
amozo
Puppy
Puppy
amozo

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 8:18 pm

Artic_Wind wrote:

When I bought Kohdi, the litter was already born and had a long waiting list, however, most of the people on the list were wanting reds, those people rolled their deposit over to the next litter...those that didn't ,made their choices on the litter and then I got to get Kohdi. Kohdi was (and still is Smile ) such a beautiful puppy, I think I was really lucky, and even told the breeder that, she agreed...the greys that were chosen before me all had 2 eyes of the same color, and Kohdi has parti eyes, she said unfortunately that is more than likely the criteria used when they made their choices. I didn't care about parti eyes though, I just wanted Kohdi ...and the breeder was happy he went home with me Smile

I am hoping that in general buyers don't want a dog with two different eye colors because that's the boy I want, the bi-eyed mellow cutie with ears that haven't popped up yet. Do you think people are more inclined to go for a dog that has two brown eyes, amber eyes, or blue eyes over a bi-eye or parti?

Last edited by amozo on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 8:44 pm

It shouldn't be, but I'm going to say yeah, I do think many people will choose 2 same color eyes over a parti or bi eyed. I was even one that practically insisted that my husky had to have 2 brown eyes, my last breeder explained to me that the eye color SHOULD be the least important thing to be considering but also kinda had to laugh a little because I was one of the very very few who didn't want the blue eyes. Anyways, the puppy I had a deposit down on (Malukhai) ended up being bi-eyed, and to be honest...everything about him was just TOO perfect to me, even his eyes. I didn't even blink when I found out my Kohdi had parti eyes, he too was perfect to me. So to get back to your question, a lot will of course depend on the person making his or her choices but in my opinion, you may just luck out and get this puppy you are wanting Smile
Back to top Go down
amozo
Puppy
Puppy
amozo

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 8:55 pm

Artic_Wind wrote:
It shouldn't be, but I'm going to say yeah, I do think many people will choose 2 same color eyes over a parti or bi eyed. I was even one that practically insisted that my husky had to have 2 brown eyes, my last breeder explained to me that the eye color SHOULD be the least important thing to be considering but also kinda had to laugh a little because I was one of the very very few who didn't want the blue eyes. Anyways, the puppy I had a deposit down on (Malukhai) ended up being bi-eyed, and to be honest...everything about him was just TOO perfect to me, even his eyes. I didn't even blink when I found out my Kohdi had parti eyes, he too was perfect to me. So to get back to your question, a lot will of course depend on the person making his or her choices but in my opinion, you may just luck out and get this puppy you are wanting Smile

I hope I get him too! Of course, each and every person is different. Friends that I have shown the litter of 4 to have all chosen my first pick too without me getting into the personality of each of the pups. Granted, the pictures of the pups are at 4 weeks old, so they have much more maturing to do. My first pick male is the only one in the litter with a blue eye, the others are brown and amber eyed and still very cute with beautiful masks/coats. Here is to hoping the first pick buyers want a pup with two eyes of the same color. Laughing

Last edited by amozo on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 9:08 pm

Of course, I'm the same way...now Smile Malukhai with his bi eyes was the game changer for me, I had already fallen in love with his looks and especially his personality. The breeder had given me the option of rolling my deposit, I told her "no way" haha, this puppy was MINE Wink even though he ended up living a very short life, I wouldn't have changed a thing. When people talk about soul mates, that was Malukhai to me .

I do wish you the best! Can't wait to see him!!!! When do you find out what choices the people on the list before you have made? I believe it's usually between the 4th and 6th week ( I could be wrong though)
Back to top Go down
amozo
Puppy
Puppy
amozo

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 10:58 pm

Artic_Wind wrote:
Of course, I'm the same way...now Smile Malukhai with his bi eyes was the game changer for me, I had already fallen in love with his looks and especially his personality. The breeder had given me the option of rolling my deposit, I told her "no way" haha, this puppy was MINE Wink even though he ended up living a very short life, I wouldn't have changed a thing. When people talk about soul mates, that was Malukhai to me .

I do wish you the best! Can't wait to see him!!!! When do you find out what choices the people on the list before you have made? I believe it's usually between the 4th and 6th week ( I could be wrong though)

Aw I am sorry for your loss. RIP Malukhai. Thank you for the well wishes. I have attached a picture of all four of the pups below.

I haven't asked the breeder what the first person's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices are. I want to know my chances of getting the pup I desire most, but I don't want to make it seem like I only care to make the 8 hour drive if he is available. The more I look at the other pups, the more I am imagining my life with one of them for the next 10-15 years.

Litter preference etiquette? Pups_s20

Last edited by amozo on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 11:23 pm

Thank you

Oh My Goodness, these are the cutest pups ever! Yours is no.2 I presume (cuz of the blue eye, haha) I really like no.1 as well!!! I'm not an expert by any means, but I *think* no.1 may be a silver and white...could just be the lighting of the pic though. They are all gorgeous! I'm really really really hoping you get your pick!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 12:07 am

The pince niz on number four is cute - not sure what got into the picture there but it's quite obvious this little guy wears his glasses well.

And I have to agree, they are all just too cute!!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 9:52 am

The breeder isn't first choice? The whole point of breeding should be to create better specimens for their breeding program.

Who is this breeder?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
amozo
Puppy
Puppy
amozo

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 11:26 am

mbarnard0429 wrote:
The breeder isn't first choice? The whole point of breeding should be to create better specimens for their breeding program.

Who is this breeder?

This sort of had me worried because it seems the breeder isn't holding back a pup for himself. Hidden treasure is the kennel name. Even so, I believe my breeder is a good one. I have OFA and CERF proof for the sire and dam of this litter and the sire and dam of their next planned breeding for the year of 2016. It's listed on the offa website. I also know they are a part of the NorCal Husky group and they are currently showing their dogs. I PMed you for breeder recommendations in Southern California or the surrounding area, but I'm not sure if it made it to your inbox since I am a new member. Any input is appreciated. Thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down
amozo
Puppy
Puppy
amozo

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 7:32 pm

I found out (through OFFA) that the next litter they plan to breed has a dam that will be 7 years old by this November. The breeding of that litter is set for the Fall of 2015. I have heard strong opinions that no dog should be bred past 5 years old. The dam of the current litter is 5.

Last edited by amozo on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:10 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added to comment)
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 7:35 pm

The age when a bitch should be bred is subjective. There are some who will breed late in life after they have accomplished their CH, old enough for health tests, waiting to see how pups develop from a younger produced litter, etc. If the dogs are healthy, there is no reason why a bitch cannot have puppies at an older age.

mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 10:20 pm

My male Teddy has a mom who was 8 - You would never know that she's almost 10 now. She's incredibly healthy - so that is case by case.

I personally wouldn't buy from them - but that is up to you. There are many great breeders by you.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 4:48 am

Hope it all works out for you! They are beautiful puppies. Which one is your second choice pick?
Back to top Go down
amozo
Puppy
Puppy
amozo

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 3:13 pm

mbarnard0429 wrote:
My male Teddy has a mom who was 8 - You would never know that she's almost 10 now. She's incredibly healthy - so that is case by case.

I personally wouldn't buy from them - but that is up to you. There are many great breeders by you.

Could you please recommend to me some of the breeders you are thinking of around SoCal?
Back to top Go down
amozo
Puppy
Puppy
amozo

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 3:19 pm

Artic_Wind wrote:
Hope it all works out for you!  They are beautiful puppies. Which one is your second choice pick?

My second pick is the 4th one in the bottom right, he is the other boy. He is apparently the most mellow so far at 5 weeks old, that is why he is my second choice. I feel slightly worried because I think I chose a very reputable breeder. I went through so many BYB's before finding this breeder that actually took the time to interview me and grill me regarding my lifestyle to see if the Siberian Husky would be a fit for me.

Last edited by amozo on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Repetitive post correction)
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 3:21 pm

Megan, I think it would be helpful to the OP if you shared why you wouldn't buy from them. Other than the fact they are not keeping a pup for themselves from this litter, what are your other concerns. Of all the red flags that could pop up, it seems to me that is less of one than not doing health testing etc...
Back to top Go down
amozo
Puppy
Puppy
amozo

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 3:43 pm

MGoBlue wrote:
Megan, I think it would be helpful to the OP if you shared why you wouldn't buy from them. Other than the fact they are not keeping a pup for themselves from this litter, what are your other concerns. Of all the red flags that could pop up, it seems to me that is less of one than not doing health testing etc...

Thank You. I was wondering that myself, but didn't bother to ask since she left it out of her comment initially.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 11:06 pm

This is off topic, but please remember that the Good Advice / Bad Advice rating is NOT to be used like the Facebook Like button.

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t4488-what-are-treats

Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 11:30 pm

I gave Sara a "good advice" treat Ashleigh because I too think mbernard should have gave an explanation with her statement. I read her post last night and thought to myself here is someone (the OP ) who is already worried that he's crossed all the T's and dotted all the I's in trying to get a puppy from what is considered a reputable breeder, and is very excited about his pick, and then gets a lil bomb dropped on him with absolutely no explanation. I'm sure it put a damper on his excitement and he's gotten no reason "why". I personally think that's unfair. Megan is very knowledgeable on breeders and it's very much appreciated in here, it would be nice to hear her reasons why she personally wouldn't do business with this breeder so the OP can make a better informed choice.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 11:47 pm

Jimmy, I have to agree with your comment.  Megan's comment was much like "Spinach is bad for you!" because I don't like spinach. I took a look at the Hidden Treasure web site and while it's fairly simplistic I saw nothing that would cue "bad breeder".

I'd much rather see a web site like theirs than to see one that is all hype and flash and doesn't say anything except "give us your money and we'll give you a pup".

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amozo
Puppy
Puppy
amozo

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 7:20 pm

I wanted to mention that I was referred to Hidden Treasure through Nanook Siberian Huskies of California and Snao Siberians. Nanook is listed on the SHCA referral page. My breeder is also a member of the SHCA and an AKC breeder of merit, not sure why they aren't listed under the referral page of SHCA.

After doing even more research into the pedigree of Hidden Treasure's huskies, it seems clear to me that they are a reputable breeder. Some huskies in their line of breeding have come from other breeders listed on the SHCA site, for example Poli Huskies of CA. It would be excellent for me to know what makes my breeder one that would not be bought from by someone well experienced in the breed.

I am still excited to get my puppy and would only be seriously worried if every one on this thread and forum were telling me to stay away from my breeder. Only one more month until he/she is home with me! I am excited and also very nervous.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Litter preference etiquette?   Litter preference etiquette? Empty

Back to top Go down

Litter preference etiquette?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next