It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado Empty
PostSubject: Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 5:44 pm

So this hike followed a night of not sleeping in a tent just down the road from the start of the trail.
We still had to drive to the Trail head which was the same location as a 14er Mt. Bierstadt, so the place was packed. There is no true trail to this mountain and i had 2 options i had read about, one going around the lake on the trail of Bierstadt or driving down the road some and hitting the forest. We opted for the lake, woods make me nervous as i cant see where we are going. That call right there would start the worst hike i have had in years... I will tell the story through pictures, and since my phone died i do not have our track, I only have it on the GPS that i have not figured out yet how to save them with out needing the unit. Im glad we had the GPS as my preloaded marks saved us in the end.
What was to be a 5-7mile trip took way longer and farther.
it took us 9 hrs to go 8.75miles and we gained 3,451ft of elevation.

lets start the tail with many pictures

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2392
the lake i was told to hang a left at

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2398
into the willows they said to go...

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2396
getting stuck in the willows and what i failed to take pictures of was the marshes we ended up in, and the alpine mini lakes we had to get around with the willows...
there was much cursing, Ken was air kicking in frustration, Sierra had to be carried some and we were soaked from head to toe.

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2399
then the random things you find in the willows

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2404
I did take this pic, sorry camera was wet, you can see the lake in the far back, that is where we started, you can see the water we had to cross to finally get above the willows, it was about 2 miles through that all.  

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2407
here is the parking mess

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2416
the left is Mt evans with the class 3 saw tooth crossing over to mt Bierstadt, i have done both peaks but not the crossing.

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2410
once out of the willows with our socks rung out and our feet drenched we headed up the mountain, it looked like the GPS said to....

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2409

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2414
we were camped just below that lake

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2413

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2417

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2419
once to the top of the 3 false summits we realized at  12,959ft we were on the wrong summit!!!!!! this is looking over to where we needed to be:(

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2420
Ken descending the wrong peak to get over to the 12,888ft peak

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2421
heading over to where we needed to be, over the bump in the center was the true summit

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2425

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2424

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2426
we reached the summit almost 6hrs later at 12:25pm

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2427

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2428

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2429

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2430

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2431

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2436

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2439
they were both wiped out i felt like a bad momma, we were also carrying all their weight at this point

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2432
my summit shot

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2440
clouds were building we could not stay as long as we need to to rest.

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2441
looking at our camping lake again from the summit

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2443
summit marker

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2444
time to head back and find a new route home not through the willows

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2445
looking at the 12,888ft summit, we were aiming for the mound in the middle to get around having to go up.

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2448
looking back at were we were

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2449
Indian paint brush

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2450
we found a path below all the ridges we hiked earlier

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2456
cold water for the pups

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2457
we found a few cairen markers

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2458
sawtooth again lit up

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2459
we stayed about the willows towards the woods

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2460

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2461
looking to the road we decided to take the woods to the road instead of the wet willows. we had to go down hill and back up to get to the road.
Photos stopped here as well, we had to go over, go under down trees, cross another stream only to get to the top of the forest across from the road to learn there was a ravine between us and the road! we hiked back down till we thought it was safe to descend and cross the water and go back up the hill. we found the road thanks to the GPS where i had marked a possible parking spot on it. I left ken and the pups at the road and hiked up the road to get our car. we were toast, it was an awful hike but we made it safely back and that's all that mattered  

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2462
from the car looking at the ridge on the left that we climbed that we did not need to climb! you can not see the summit here, it is behind that middle mound

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2463
back at camp the pups were out cold

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2465
we made dinner

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2467
pie iron tacos

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2468

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado DSCN2470
and the pups put themselves to bed at like 6pm.

I hope to not repeat a hike like that in a really long time.

Till our next adventure...

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 11:39 pm

Sorry you had such a sucky time. You get some of the most incredible pics of Jack! My favorite though is the pic of Jack and Sierra mixed in with all the boulders, you can just barely see their little white faces, that is an awesome pic! Scenery is really beautiful! That's something right Wink
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 12:26 pm

You have some of the best views on your adventures. Love it.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 1:18 pm

thank god for the views, its the only thing that kept us going, also the flowers were beautiful and with it being so late in the season to.
I think this hike i got the best pics of S&J Smile
they were so tired at the end though, it was rough on me knowing that. Sierra really should be under 5 miles and Jack under 7 miles these days, so it was a little much for them. At least there was not boulder hopping, that would have made it much harder.

Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 4:15 pm

so beautiful up there, like the one where they have their tongues hanging out lol, think its 22nd form the bottom. and the one with the died tree pile and the beautiful yellow flowers.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 5:04 pm

The hike was less than optimal, yet you got fantastic shots. Poor pups, great pics of S and J, even if it was a major haul for them. Love the beauty that Colorado offers.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 5:28 pm

How much water did you carry, for yourself and the dogs?

I hate slogging through a "green hell."
Willows are bad, because you can't feel the bottom and they trip you up.
But what's worse is devil's club and blackberries.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 6:22 pm

SO had a long response typed out, hit send and the site had "maintenance?!" and i lost it all.

so the short answer is Ken and i each carry 3L, we just about ran out this trip, first time in a long time. I had to give him some of my water and we barley drank on the way down. was dehydrated for about 3 days.

Jack carries 2L, one in each bag along with food, bowels, booties, extra leash, mushers wax and medical tape. We took his water in the boulders just before the summit and carried it the rest of the way

Sierra carries no water now, WE DO. about 16oz for each of us, or an extra 32oz when its just me out with them. she carries food and treats.

we let them drink from the streams on the way back to conserve water in-case we need their water. Knock on wood Sierra still feels fine, she likes to pick up bugs from water and cost us $$$ at the vet.

Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 6:37 pm

My dogs have never gotten sick from mt. streams.
But they have, multiple times, from streams at the beach.
I think that beavers are at work in the streams of the coast range, hence "beaver fever."
Yes, costs lots at the vet to get rid of giardia.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado   Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado Empty

Back to top Go down

Hiking with dogs~Gray Wolf Mt. 13,602ft~ Colorado

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: The Great Outdoors-