It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How much does your vet charge?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

How much does your vet charge? Empty
PostSubject: How much does your vet charge?   How much does your vet charge? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 4:11 pm

I'm just curious how much your vets charge for basic veterinary care. I know it varies by location and from vet to vet but I'd like to know what your vets are charging for their services just for the sake of comparison.

So what does your vet charge for...
Wellness exam?
Fecal exam?
Heartworm test?
Blood test?

I've moved and have a new vet and priced them out on general care since I'm taking my dogs in this week.
The prices at my new vet in SC are as follows:
Wellness exam - $42
Fecal exam - $22
Heartworm test - $35
Blood test - $103.50

How much does yours charge?

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: How much does your vet charge?   How much does your vet charge? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 5:23 pm

"Walk in the door fee" $42.00
Heartworm test- $30.00
Fecal $25.00
Blood test was between $100-125.

I don't take them to the vet for vaccines as we use the clinics.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: How much does your vet charge?   How much does your vet charge? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 5:42 pm

arooroomom wrote:
"Walk in the door fee" $42.00

Well put. Laughing

arooroomom wrote:
I don't take them to the vet for vaccines as we use the clinics.

I don't get vaccines at all, except the 3 year rabies only because it's required by law.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: How much does your vet charge?   How much does your vet charge? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 5:57 pm

I've found the average in Denver is about $49 for the office visit.

Then there's Banfield where you can pay a membership (at different increments) and your office visits, 6 month check-up/wellness exams and vaccinations are included. But, I can certainly tell some of the vets here are just starting out after graduation.

When we first adopted Ginger, we didn't have a vet, and we needed to get her teeth cleaned because it was bad with plaque and build up. Someone said to check out Banfield so we did and saw that they had a membership level that included dental cleanings, so we signed up for the year. But when it came to her diarreha issue, I went to the holistic vet.

So for minor stuff and vaccinations and wellness checks, we go to Banfield until we ride out the membership. Any other stuff, we go to the holistic vet which is $49/office visit.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: How much does your vet charge?   How much does your vet charge? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 8:17 pm

Huskyluv wrote:

I don't get vaccines at all, except the 3 year rabies only because it's required by law.

Unfortunately in order to take them to work Distemper/Parvo as well as Bordettella are required. I wouldn't vaccinate otherwise Sad

Also, I don't know about where you are but Banfield is such a rip off here. I mean their prices (as well as the 10 thousand combos of the same vaccine they vaccinate your dog with) are ludicrous. The vets don't seem to know much. And they are always PACKED! It's crazy.

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: How much does your vet charge?   How much does your vet charge? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 9:05 pm

New vet:

Well exam (they call it a "brief exam")- $37
Fecal- $16
Heartworm- $26 (but they don't require it if they've been on consistent meds, only once every 3 years which I thought was nice!)
Blood Screening- $83

My old vet was amazing Sad Same if not cheaper prices but we were never charged for a well exam if we were getting vaccines or boosters! I miss him Sad Not driving an hour though!

How much does your vet charge? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: How much does your vet charge?   How much does your vet charge? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 10:13 pm

I Recently Found a New Vet & I Love Them !~ Mira 1st appt @ her Vet was 119.00 Icons for The same Thing Was 67.00 I Love mY new vet i Gotta drive 45 Min but Its worth It ..
Back to top Go down
NeroHusky
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How much does your vet charge?   How much does your vet charge? EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 11:52 am

Erm, I thought all dogs must be vaccined at least every 12 months for Distemper, Rabies, Parvo, etc.?
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: How much does your vet charge?   How much does your vet charge? EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 11:58 am

The only vaccine required by law is Rabies. You can either get a yearly rabies vaccine, 3-year rabies vaccine, or you can have your vet preform a titer which is a blood test to see if the vaccine(s) is/are still active in your dog. FYI 3-year rabies has been known to last 10 years in a dog.

Distemper/Parvo, Corona, Lepto and Bordettella are not required by law, only recommended by most vets as well as required for a lot of boarding/daycare facilities.

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: How much does your vet charge?   How much does your vet charge? EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 12:06 pm

arooroomom wrote:
The only vaccine required by law is Rabies. You can either get a yearly rabies vaccine, 3-year rabies vaccine, or you can have your vet preform a titer which is a blood test to see if the vaccine(s) is/are still active in your dog. FYI 3-year rabies has been known to last 10 years in a dog.

Distemper/Parvo, Corona, Lepto and Bordettella are not required by law, only recommended by most vets as well as required for a lot of boarding/daycare facilities.

This applies to the United States. NeroHusky, I don't know what your vaccination laws are in Indonesia, they may or may not be different from ours. You should however complete the puppy series and then the 12 month boosters. Beyond that you'd have to see what your laws require, but really after the 12 month booster vaccines your dogs should not need to be vaccinated again for life, although you can titer test on a regular basis just to be sure.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How much does your vet charge?   How much does your vet charge? EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 12:27 pm

We actually do not have any law of some sort in Indonesia. You can have dogs and never vaccine them for life.

I have completed Nero's vaccine up until Eurican-7 (I hope the same terminology is used in the States).

However what annoys me is that my vet said I need to vaccine Nero every year. The same vaccines every year. Anyone can clarify this?

Oh for not being oftopic:

Eurican 7 Vaccine - $16
Health Check - 3$
Visiting doctor -$3

I know it's cheap right? But I dont think we have the same vet quality as the one you have in the States
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: How much does your vet charge?   How much does your vet charge? EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 12:47 pm

NeroHusky wrote:
I have completed Nero's vaccine up until Eurican-7 (I hope the same terminology is used in the States).

However what annoys me is that my vet said I need to vaccine Nero every year. The same vaccines every year. Anyone can clarify this?

Oh for not being oftopic:

Eurican 7 Vaccine - $16
Health Check - 3$
Visiting doctor -$3

I know it's cheap right? But I dont think we have the same vet quality as the one you have in the States

Since Nero is about 4 months or so I am assuming he's completed his puppy series so you are good until he hits 12 months. When he is 12 months you will want to go back and have his 12 month booster vaccines done which will probably be the Eurican 7 that you had done before, bordetella and rabies.

Now just from some real quick searches on Eurican, I'm guessing it's a standard 7 way vaccine. I believe most 7 way vaccines cover distemper, adenovirus, hepatitis, parainfluenza, parvovirus, and leptospirosis. Most vaccines have proven via testing to last upwards of 7 years, some for life. With that said, you do not need to vaccinate every year.

After your 12 month boosters your dog should be set for life. Some people might worry about protection so if you're one of those then you should be fine on a schedule of puppy series, 12 month boosters, and then boosters at 7 yrs of age and that should safely cover your dog for life.

Now bordetalla is one of those that will depend as vaccines don't cover all strains so even if you do regularly get the bordetella vaccine you dog could still get kennel cough. I don't get the bordetella vaccine for my dogs at all, however if they were around a lot of other dogs all the time then I would be more likely to get it for them on a more regular basis. In fact, my dogs were exposed to kennel cough in February and none of them contracted it.

Edit to add: Btw, that price for the Eurican sounds about right. We can buy 7 way single dose vaccines to vaccinate at home for about $5.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How much does your vet charge?   How much does your vet charge? EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 12:52 pm

Thanks Huskyluv.

You are very helpful.

bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much does your vet charge?   How much does your vet charge? Empty

Back to top Go down

How much does your vet charge?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1