It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help!!! New Puppy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Johnyboy
Newborn
Newborn
Johnyboy

Help!!! New Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Help!!! New Puppy   Help!!! New Puppy EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 6:19 am

So I just got a brand new Husky puppy. he's 7 weeks old named John and cute and beautiful...
Only one problem... I can't handle him!!

I got him a puppy fence and set up a bed for him and a food and water bowl. and at the far end of the fence i put newspapers on the ground for litter.
Everytime we go to sleep we play with him and get him voluntarily into the fence. we close the fence afte us and give him a treat. 5 minuets later he starts whining and he doesnt stop! now even if he stops we wake up the next morning to see that he's eaten his own poo and pissed on the floor and wiped it all over his area... he never goes into his bed and he rips the newspapers.

That's one problem.

The second problem is that when we let him out of the fence he won't stop biting us! we've tried to make a noise box (a box with coins that we thrown on the ground) but he's grown immune to it. he just thinks we are playing with him and he keeps biting. He's only had one shot so we can't take him out to let out energy...

any helpful tips for how to survive him until we can start training him?

Here's a picture of the little bandit...

Help!!! New Puppy 11951911
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Help!!! New Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!!! New Puppy   Help!!! New Puppy EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 10:44 am

The search bar at the upper left corner of the page is your friend. You are not the first person to have these issues and they have been asked before. Because of that, I'll just give brief responses.

First of all, you are out of your mind if you think a puppy can hold it's bladder all night. Rule of thumb is that they can hold it one hour for every month old they are. Most people when they get a young puppy expect to be taking it outside every couple hours at night. It's like having a baby. Look into crate training.

The biting issue is probably twofold. One, he is a husky. They communicate with their mouths much more than other breeds. Second, he was taken from his mom and litter too early. 8 weeks is the absolute soonest they should leave their moms (and that is law in many states) and ideal is staying with them 10-12 weeks. What that means is they have not had enough opportunity for bit inhibition from their mom and siblings. Other people on this forum have dealt with that issue, but it takes consistent work. Quick answer is that any time he bites you, make a loud yelping noise and stop engaging in whatever behavior precipitated that action immediately and ignore him until he settles again.

I hate to sound rude, but how much research did you do on huskies before you got this puppy? If these things are too much to handle, you are in for a rude awakening as your pup grows and gets more mischievous and stubborn.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Help!!! New Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!!! New Puppy   Help!!! New Puppy EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 10:49 am

He is cute and looks very young. How old is he? Anything under 8 weeks missed out on a lot of bite work with their siblings and tend to be a lot more mouthy. Try yelping or crying out when he bites and then stop playing with him for a bit. The yelp is the same his siblings would have done to tell him to stop and the ignoring him when he is too rough will help him to know that if he crosses a line he won't get the attention that he wants.

do you get up to let him outside any at night? If not then this issue will continue until he is old enough to hold his bladder and even then probably won't stop as he will have established by then that it is acceptable to pee in the house. Young pups need to go out every couple hours or they will make a mess. They can't help it. Crate training will cut down on his space so he will be less likely to get wound up and destroy everything in sight during the night. It will also go a long ways to helping you with potty training. Most dogs don't like to sleep right where they go to the bathroom and are more likely to hold it rather than lay in it. But you have to let him out in the night and not expect him to deal with it. Training starts the instant you get home. No need to wait until he is X age to do so. They need mental stimulation such as learning to sit, stay, etc. In the younger months this is your best form of exercise and how you wear them out since they are too young for walks.

Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Help!!! New Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!!! New Puppy   Help!!! New Puppy EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 10:50 am

Oops, you beat me to it Sara. lol.

Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

Female Join date : 2015-07-13

Help!!! New Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!!! New Puppy   Help!!! New Puppy EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 11:34 am

Just an fyi completely unrelated to your topic.....we had the exact same chew toy that you have in ur pic. Red loved that toy to death but the green tube finally slide out of the clear rubber bone after just a few weeks of use. I threw out the green part and kept the clear part as she continued to play with it. But just keep an eye on the toy because Red eventually chewed up the clear part and it was cracking so that went into the trash shortly after.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Help!!! New Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!!! New Puppy   Help!!! New Puppy EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 2:24 pm

Firstly welcome to the forums!! Secondly, you are lucky for the moment, I have no idea how you are containing your pup with those gates. My girl figured out how to climb out of the bathtub the first day we brought her home, and at a young age, horrible to say but she was only 5.5 weeks old. I can just about guarantee that puppy fence will not contain him for long. Putting newspaper down, even if he uses it, it teaches them that it is ok to potty inside, you do not want a 55 pound full grown male husky going potty in your house. So some thing you definitely need to do, invest in a crate, start working on potty training. Everytime they wake up, after playing, after eating, pretty much all the time they will have to go potty. Jenn and Sara, mentioned many things that you need to change. But I will add, you can leash train and command train inside. It is never too early to start training. The earlier you start training with the leash the easier it will be on the the both of you. For huskies as well as most working breeds they are scary smart. Playtime, walking and mental exercise is a must to tire them. As far as the nipping, we have a wonderful 7 page sticky on this subject. I wish you luck, it is a difficult time on a new owner, but when done right your adult husky will be your best friend, so it's worth all the trouble they give you when they are puppies.
Back to top Go down
ShifuHuy
Newborn
Newborn
ShifuHuy

Male Join date : 2015-05-27

Help!!! New Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!!! New Puppy   Help!!! New Puppy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 1:42 pm

When I got my puppy, it was way too early, at about 4-5 weeks, we are currently working on biting. As for potty, we made the mistake of putting wee wee pads like everywhere, but atleast she pee on them. But then I just literally take her outside 10 minutes after every meal, and you have to watch her movement. You can tell if they are about to go. This sucks but you have to keep watch on them especially when they are young. I'm not going to lie, its tiring keeping watch but so far my pup does her business 90% of the time outside. She has a few accidents inside, that's when we are totally not watching her especially after she drank water or play. Every time she needs to go now she goes in front of the back door.

When my pup was young I wanted to crate train her, so I did. It was HARD, because she kept crying and whining for like 30 minutes. But the good news is this, they will stop. It took mine about a month or 2. They will stop whining. I have a trick and that is to use boiled chicken and lure her in, and now whenever i hold a chicken and say "kennel" she just runs straight in and sit.

Patience and consistency is the two words you'll hear a lot, but its true. I'd say having a husky is worst than a baby?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help!!! New Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!!! New Puppy   Help!!! New Puppy Empty

Back to top Go down

Help!!! New Puppy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1