It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Who's your doggy now?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jennibean
Newborn
Newborn
jennibean

Female Join date : 2015-09-03

Who's your doggy now?  Empty
PostSubject: Who's your doggy now?    Who's your doggy now?  EmptyWed Sep 09, 2015 11:13 pm

First things first! This is my husbands fault, all of it, period. This husky thing... his fault. There we were, enjoying ourselves at his nephew and wife's baby shower. Bryan and Katie (nephew and wife) were both talking about their upcoming newborn and their current resident one-year-old pup who had been constantly wandering for two hours, from guest to guest. Katie had barely expressed how both she and Bryan thought/knew they could not manage the pup and a new baby and that the pup had to go, when my husband exclaimed, "we'll take her!" 

That was in June and I can still feel the look of horror that enveloped my countenance. We had just lost both of our dear family dog friends all in three weeks. Bart, who was 14, arrived at the morning he could no longer stand by himself. In an earlier time, we both agreed when this day it would be the time to let him go. I took him to his vet, who came out to the back of my little car and helped Bart into his final sleep. I brought him back home and Bob and I laid him down under the shade of the Bay trees he knew so well.

Katie, (a girl dog, not the niece) who was then 9 had been with Bart her entire life. She was allowed and encouraged to be with him when we laid him down and indeed, saw him for a few minutes, sniffing and snuffling with a lick or two here and there, before we covered him over. After that, she gave no other notice or interest his way. Dog wisdom, yes?

Within a few days, she began acting differently. She walked more slowly, wouldn't jump up on the bed without coaxing, seemed listless, and followed me every single place I went. I thought she was grieving as she had adored Bart to the point good old Bart couldn't even poopoo peepee without Katie being right there by his side. But when she stopped eating... stopped jumping for joy, stopped laughing, stopped being Katie, I took her to the vet also. X-rays showed a rather massive abdominal mass that was pushing her other organs all over. She was suffering and I could not abide that. The vet and I took her out to my car and helped her go to her final sleep as well. I took her home after that and my husband and I laid her next to Bart under the shade of the trees where I could stop now and then just to notice...

I cried four days after that and swore off anything canine until I gave further notice. We have a small home and it took me only a little time to collect anything that even smacked of dogness. I put it all in a plastic container and put it in the shed. I thought that would be that, at least for awhile. We have always shared our lives with two, three, or four dogs and cats and all of them, having been homeless looking for a place of their own, had naturally fit right in with our rather ragged household. So imagine what went through my pretty head when I heard my husband claim this unruly, ill-mannered, unaltered, non-vaccinated, confused, dazed, unkempt with fleas, amazingly beautiful, purebred one-year-old Siberian Husky girl named, Maci! I was horrified!

That was then, this is now. Bob and I start our training next week. Maci says it's for the best if we are to be good Husky humans. Once we get that underway, who knows what wonders lay ahead? Only the Husky knows... and I am hopelessly in love once again.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Who's your doggy now?    Who's your doggy now?  EmptyThu Sep 10, 2015 12:33 am

Jenni (I hope you don't mind, we already have a Jen and a Jenn) That was such a sweet and sad way to honor your loved pets. It's warmly heartbreaking and for your losses you have my sympathy.

You tell Maci for me that she has a lot to live up to and that it's going to be hard for her to train you as well as Bart and Katie did, but I think she's going to be up to the job.

Welcome to the forum and I don't think I've ever seen a better introduction.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Who's your doggy now?    Who's your doggy now?  EmptyThu Sep 10, 2015 1:37 am

Welcome to the forum! Im very sorry for your losses. A lot of what you described, I can unfortunately totally relate to, like the doggy wisdom thing. Is that Maci in your avatar? She is beautiful !
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Who's your doggy now?    Who's your doggy now?  EmptyThu Sep 10, 2015 2:20 am

welcome to the forums, is she your avatar if so she is very lovely. very nice intro best iv read so far as well, and sorry for your loss.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Who's your doggy now?    Who's your doggy now?  EmptyThu Sep 10, 2015 3:45 am

welcome to the forum! My condolences to you on your loss. So glad you have a new, bouncy furbaby to love and that you gave Maci a home. Sounds like she found the right place.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Who's your doggy now?    Who's your doggy now?  EmptyThu Sep 10, 2015 4:36 am

Welcome to the forum, like the others have said I am sorry to hear of you losing both of your pups. That was such a sweet tribute, and a wonderful way to introduce yourself.....I can't wait to see pics of your new girl. Huskies sure do have a way of mashing into your heart, and are good for a laugh. I am glad to hear she found you and you two found her.....Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

Male Join date : 2015-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Who's your doggy now?    Who's your doggy now?  EmptyThu Sep 10, 2015 10:10 am

So here I am. It's barely 9 o'clock and I'm balling my eyes out at my desk... I can't even imagine the pain of losing them both so close together, but That tribute was a wonderful way to commemorate them. I'm sorry for your loss.

Maci is gorgeous! Ahh, Majestic is a better word.  lol!

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the good cry!
Back to top Go down
http://tylerjenkinsmusic.com/
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Who's your doggy now?    Who's your doggy now?  EmptyThu Sep 10, 2015 10:31 am

I'm sorry for your loss. That is such a sweet story. It seems like they always find us when we need them the most.

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to getting to know you and your lovely new friend.
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Who's your doggy now?    Who's your doggy now?  EmptyThu Sep 10, 2015 11:10 am

Glad to have you here! Sorry for your losses. If you ever need an understanding ear, I'll be here to listen. This is a great place for advice if you ever need it with your new pack member. I'm sure you'll be back around, huskies require a lot of question asking lol.
Back to top Go down
jennibean
Newborn
Newborn
jennibean

PostSubject: Re: Who's your doggy now?    Who's your doggy now?  EmptyThu Sep 10, 2015 11:42 pm

How cool is this? So many lovely welcomes and responses from all of you! Okay, so this is my first ever forum, really... and I thank you again and again. Who knew? I will post again from time to time, once I get the hang of it. Believe it or not I do not own a smartphone but once I pull out the old camera I can probably hang some more pictures as well. I welcome all of the advice anyone cares to share. I am finding out just how unusual a Siberian Husky can be. While I read some of the posts about this or that I can already say, 'Hey, I recognize that trait!'

Speaking of being new, where best to post questions about Husky running? I have queries for opinions regarding electronic fences, collars, hog tying... Oh yes, and GPS for dogs in all of its forms. Anything else?

Again, so lovely to be connected with so many Husky huggers.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Who's your doggy now?    Who's your doggy now?  EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 12:46 am

I was 62 when I joined the forum, too.  It was also my first forum and I love the people here.

As for info on invisible fence, you can use the search box...I use an invisible fence for my 1.5 huskies (Ami and my son's Archer who is here about half of the time.) there are several threads here, the one I've posted in is something like "training to an invisible fence" I think.  I love my fence.

Jen(wpskier) has written about ecollar training (stupid auto complete Mad ) and has been successful at training Dizzy for off leash walking... in NYC, no less!  I use an ecollar with Ami but nowhere near as diligent as Jen.

Hog tying works with Ami for grooming lol!

This forum prompted me to learn how to use our digital camera for both stills and short video, how to upload them, open a you tube account to host the videos... and a grand way of avoiding housework Rolling Eyes

So... have fun!

Edit: stupid, stupid auto complete...now the above should make sense Rolling Eyes

Last edited by amymeme on Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jennibean
Newborn
Newborn
jennibean

PostSubject: Re: Who's your doggy now?    Who's your doggy now?  EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 9:21 pm

so much to learn.... and only the Husky knows for sure... talk with you soon. Off to first class of me training. Maci stays home tonight with hubby Bob. Next class she brings me to meet the other people while she sniffs and greets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who's your doggy now?    Who's your doggy now?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Who's your doggy now?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1