It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Weight Check for Woolies?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
clicklouj
Puppy
Puppy
clicklouj

Female Join date : 2015-09-22

Weight Check for Woolies? Empty
PostSubject: Weight Check for Woolies?   Weight Check for Woolies? EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 5:48 am

Hi, I wondered if any wooly sibe owners here have any tips on checking the weight of woolies. Most weight checkers have pet parents look for that tummy tuck, the slight "hourglass" figure from above, and the ribs. With woolies though, this gets hard to check because of all the fur. Depending on the angle you're looking at her, my Luna can look pretty chunky or skinny. I try to "feel" for her ribs but I'm not sure how reliable my own judgement is on that end since I don't really have a point of comparison. I don't want to rely so heavily on weight charts either because I understand there's a pretty broad range of weights/growth rates within the breed.

I'm concerned because my Luna seems to be rather small for her age but the last time I tried to increase the amount of food she was eating, she had diarrhea for a day. I'm now very careful about the amount Im feeding her, but I'm afraid it's getting too little (but then again, looking at her from the side, I think, maybe it's okay, but then again, looking at her from above, it could be too little, but then again...and so forth).

So, any tips on weight checking for woolies?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Weight Check for Woolies?   Weight Check for Woolies? EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 10:51 am

Ugh...assessing the weight of a wooly. The bane of my existance!

For a visual, wet her so she's soaked (but make sure she has not matting first, 'cause the drying will make the mats really tough to get out). Then look at her and assess according to the charts.

As for feeling the ribs, spine, hips and shoulders - I bury my fingers deep into the coat and then move my hands along his ribs - if I can feel individual ribs with a bit of fat covering, I'm assuming things are good. If the hips, spine and shoulder blades feel rather sharp, i'm guessing a bit underweight. If he's well padded, I'm assuming overweight.

Also, weigh and measure her regularly - compare height and weight to the husky standard. Also - I've found that when Ami is picky about food, particularly skipping breakfast, he's probably overweight.

At the moment, here, I am wondering if Ami is maybe a tad underweight (but keep in mind, research suggests that a slightly underweight dog will live longer...). Here in the north, with very cold winters (and he is outside, by choice, most of the daytime and evening hours) his calorie needs vary by season. In the winter, his coat becomes exceedingly thick and its almost impossible to judge body condition.

Back to top Go down
clicklouj
Puppy
Puppy
clicklouj

PostSubject: Re: Weight Check for Woolies?   Weight Check for Woolies? EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 6:50 am

Thank you for the tips, @amymeme! I can't imagine how it must be during the winter with Ami! I live in the Philippines so I don't expect Luna to really fluff up as much but, as it is, I'm already having trouble wondering if her weight is in the right place!

Luna is still pretty young. At 3 months, she's 5 1/2 kgs, so rather small for her age. The vets keep telling us to feed her more, but I am wary of keeping her lean. She doesn't self-regulate yet so I really control her diet. I don't want to orchestrate weight gain through overfeeding. I've read elsewhere in the forum that some puppies get growth spurts between 3-4 months? I'm just letting her grow at her own pace for now... I do get nervous because sometimes she feels rather bony through all the fur. I'm giving her a bath today and will get a closer look!

Tangential note: I must say, I'm a huge fan of Ami. He looks absolutely stunning and I really enjoy reading about him through the various threads in this forum where you reply (and I lurk, soaking up all the info I can about woolies and what I can expect with Luna growing up). Smile
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: Weight Check for Woolies?   Weight Check for Woolies? EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 7:08 pm

I have a Samoyed, which has the coat equivalent of a wooly husky Smile

I am often convinced she's fat, then when she's wet like Amy suggested, I realize she's a skinny little noodle. That's the only time I can really tell her weight. After a bath, I'll feel her to see where her ribs are, if I can feel her spine, if she has a good belly tuck, etc.

This time of year when it's cooling off, she has tons more energy and burns her food faster, so we increase it a little bit at a time. She eats 2 cups a day, and we'll add to that until she's eating about 2.5 cups a day by December.

I highly recommend avoiding weight charts--my Anya is on the small side (38 lbs), but some weight charts have her ideal weight as 10 lbs heavier....which would be crazy. She's lean, but certainly not underweight. I can just feel her ribs and muscle, with a thin layer of padding.

When you want to add food, do it by a little at a time to prevent stomach upset. Split up the extra amount between meals, so they don't have a huge meal at once.
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
clicklouj
Puppy
Puppy
clicklouj

PostSubject: Re: Weight Check for Woolies?   Weight Check for Woolies? EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 3:25 pm

I love sammies! You can tell how much by the fact that I got a wooly husky that's pure write with dark (rather than blue) eyes Smile)

Thanks for the tip on increasing intake slowly, @AnyaLuv. I think that was the step I overlooked when I first tried to increase her food intake. Also, I didn't consider the weather/temperature when it comes to food quantities. I should read up more on that.

I do look at weight charts but try not to freak out about her weight (she's on the small side too! at least so far...) by looking for stories and testimonies in the forum about slow-growing huskies, growth spurts, medium-built sibes.

Gahd, there really is nothing we can do but give them the best we have and then watch and see how they turn out, huh... Smile)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weight Check for Woolies?   Weight Check for Woolies? Empty

Back to top Go down

Weight Check for Woolies?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1