It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help with color

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
joey5622
Newborn
Newborn
joey5622

Help with color Empty
PostSubject: Help with color   Help with color EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 7:38 am

Hi,

I have a year and a few months old husky. He came home with us as a white and grayish black puppy.

My problem is that he has been turning yellow. Not a yellowish Sable.

My vet said that we should have him groomed (hair cut) I've been reading that it is not a good idea to do so.

We live in a tropical country and it's hot. He sometimes lies down on his pee.. which might be why he's yellowing?

Any help and advice as to what to do to get him back to his white coat. His coat is white on the inside (inner coat), it is the outer where it's yellow.
Back to top Go down
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

Help with color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with color   Help with color EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 10:20 am

You really shouldn't let him lay down in urine.

Do you have a picture of him that shows what you're talking about?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Help with color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with color   Help with color EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 8:19 pm

Well shoot, my post didn't post.

My question was - is in the sun a lot? It could be sun damange.

Do you bath him after he gets in urine?

Shaving/clipping is not recommended unless he is severely matted and tangled beyond groomin.
Back to top Go down
joey5622
Newborn
Newborn
joey5622

Help with color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with color   Help with color EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 9:12 pm

We don't "allow" him to play,sit or lie on his urine. I've never seen him do this. It's more of a theory because he's yellowing and does sometimes smell bad.. he isn't always supervised but is within earshot of people.

I don't think it's the sun, he's mostly under a roof unless he is out running/playing.

We use organic shampoos and used to stick to one brand (buddy's if I'm not mitaken). I noticed the yellowing when his shampoo was changed to a "cheaper organic" shampoo when I was away on a business trip. We've since stopped using the shampoo and are back to a "better" brand.

Would a whitening shampoo be harmful to him?

He gets bathed regularly because he enjoys the water as it gets very hot and humid here.

I'm trying to post photos but the site isn't allowing me to.. I will figure it out! Haha

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Help with color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with color   Help with color EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 9:14 pm

Any chlorine in the water? Or high iron content?

Unless puppy is really dirty or smelly, I would not bathe him so much - the oils in his skin are good for his coat.

I use cornstarch based Johnsons baby powder for odor control
Back to top Go down
joey5622
Newborn
Newborn
joey5622

Help with color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with color   Help with color EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 9:21 pm

I can't post a photo but was able to change my profile photo to show his yellow areas.

We've tried not bathing him as often but he ends up not finishing his food from the heat. It gets uncomfortable for him when he's not inside the house.

Is allowing him in the water without shampoo a bad thing? Just to keep him cool.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Help with color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with color   Help with color EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 9:30 pm

Joey, I'm going to presume that you're in the southern hemisphere since it's getting cooler here and I think even in the worst areas it's less than hot. On that note, I live in the desert where the temp is often around the 40c mark during the summer. Husky's adapt surprisingly well to the hot weather in that their fur acts as insulation both against the cold and the heat. If the pup has plenty of drinking water available to him and some place top get out of the direct sun he should do fine. Huskys are among the cleanest of breeds, their fur seems to be naturally cleaning; my Avalanche can go roll in the mud (when there is mud) and within a couple of hours it's all dropped off.

Now all that said, from what I can see in the picture, it looks like the yellowing (brownish in the picture?) is following his normal color pattern.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Help with color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with color   Help with color EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 9:30 pm

joey5622 wrote:
I can't post a photo but was able to change my profile photo to show his yellow areas.

We've tried not bathing him as often but he ends up not finishing his food from the heat. It gets uncomfortable for him when he's not inside the house.

Is allowing him in the water without shampoo a bad thing?  Just to keep him cool.

Absolutely!!! Go get yourself a plastic kiddy pool, fill it up and watch the fun begin lol! Assuming you have a yard...
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Help with color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with color   Help with color EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 9:35 pm

I'm with Al - though I can't see the pic too clearly, it may be that your pup is a wolf gray which is becoming more prominent as he grows up. This will have buff/beige/reddish coloring along with the black/gray

http://www.huskycolors.com/wolf.html
Back to top Go down
joey5622
Newborn
Newborn
joey5622

Help with color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with color   Help with color EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 9:37 pm

He has a pool and he goes crazy when it's out. I think I end up more wet than he does haha

How can I tell if the yellowing is a result of his natural color pattern?

And yes, we reside in the philippines, he was born and raised here.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Help with color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with color   Help with color EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Look at all the pics in the link I posted - also look at other colors and their patterns. If the yellowing is in the pure white/cream areas but either at the transition between black/gray and the white or mixed in with the black/gray, I'm gonna guess its part of his color pattern.

If the yellowing is a result of urine - he'll stink of urine. Chorine or iron in the water - the yellowing would be uniform throughout the coat (and with iron, your laundry would have spotting and your plumbing fixtures would be stained.

Sun damage would be dry, coarse and possibly even brittle and mostly on the top, I would imagine.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Help with color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with color   Help with color EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 9:53 pm

Here's a wolf gray pup - notice the yellow/buff color on the hind legs:

Help with color Tj1

And here is a darker wolf gray - again with the buff color fading between the black and the white on the legs:

Help with color Zero34
Back to top Go down
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

Help with color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with color   Help with color EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 10:57 pm

I don't mean to fixate on this, but how often do you suspect he is laying in his urine? You say he smells like it sometimes; is it a lot? Have you ever observed him doing this? Does he pee, then lay down in it, or does he do it while laying down?

The reason I ask is because sometimes when dogs urinate on themselves while laying down, it's a sign of incontinence. Incontinence is a symptom of several possible issues.

Sorry, I don't mean to be scary. It's just that we have had some others post lately about seemingly innocuous behavioral problems that turned out to be symptomatic of more serious problems.
Back to top Go down
joey5622
Newborn
Newborn
joey5622

Help with color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with color   Help with color EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 11:16 pm

Thanks for all the information! !! It is greatly appreciated.

I will rule out sun damage as his coat doesn't seem to have any problems.
Back to top Go down
joey5622
Newborn
Newborn
joey5622

Help with color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with color   Help with color EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 11:21 pm

He doesn't lay down then pee himself. I've never seen him do that.

Personally I don't think he smells like urine. My gf says that he does sometimes.

He's not caged and has his own "house" of sorts. It's open air, roofed and is gated. Its about the size of small bed room. He like staying right beside the gate. He pees close by to the door. I'm assuming that urine gets to him sometimes. Either that or it dries up and he ends up lying down where it was.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Help with color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with color   Help with color EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 11:27 pm

Joey, someone else might remind me differently but somewhere at about 5 posts you should be able to post up a picture - the powers that be limit pictures until you've written a few notes just to dissuade spammers. Why don't you see if you can post up a pic now, if you would please.

Huskys are really funny when it comes to water; Misty my first Husky would go swimming in the Gulf of Mexico any time we were close, getting her out of the water was always a task; Sasha, my Sibe.will tolerate getting spritzed with a hose but isn't impressed at all by lakes or streams; Avalanche, my Alaskan Husky, surprised me in that he'll go swimming but if I even reach for a hose, he's gone.  If yours like the kiddy pool (or other bodies of water), by all means, go for it!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Help with color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with color   Help with color EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 11:51 pm

I'll chime in, Miya loves to be in water, 120 degrees f or 24 degrees f (sorry don't know how to convert to c). Anyways, let your pup have as much pool time as he wants.

Now to color, hmmm, Youngish puppies may need assistance cleaning themselves and a pee tinge may happen, however, I wouldn't think it would show on his back. with that said, most huskies make dramatic coat changes as the age. Even adult huskies may have subtle color changes, and with different times a year can make a difference too. Since they are good at getting rid of dirt, frequent baths with shampoos are not recommended, it strips their natural oils. A good brushing however, never hurts and will loosen up dead hair, and any dirt that doesn't fall off naturally or when swimming. Miya can at times look yellow, although she is more of a tan/beige/white. It just varies in color across her coat, so you can also see deep brown, black, and silver/gray. The best pic I have to show her yellowish tint is not the brightest in lighting, but you may see what I mean. It shows more on her hind leg down to almost her paw, and pretty much nowhere else. I don't know why it happens, because in other pics and in person she looks more white. I assure you she isn't really dirty nor any pee issues, lol. Having a pic would certainly help us, and your avatar, although small, looks like how my Miya looks at times, on the hind end/leg....Help with color Sam_0421....in this pic it looks like her whole side is a yellowish color....does his fur resemble this?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help with color Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with color   Help with color Empty

Back to top Go down

Help with color

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1