It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

A little bragging on my girl is in order

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

Male Join date : 2015-04-06

A little bragging on my girl is in order Empty
PostSubject: A little bragging on my girl is in order   A little bragging on my girl is in order EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 2:12 pm

It has been a HOT minute since I've posted here. Life is a hectic little beastie.

My family owns 100 acres of rolling hills and woods in the middle of nowhere in Indiana. We are building a house on the land for my grandad, so My family went out there to move in some furniture and just hang out. I usually keep Koda on a 20-30 foot lead while we are out there so she can run a bit.

We were standing around and my dad said," why can't she just run a little bit." Naturally, I protested, but he persisted. "Just let her off, if she runs, we will bring some treats and go find her on the four wheeler." With much hesitation, I walk over and un-clipped her.

My initial expectation was for her to bolt as fast as she could in one direction and that would be the last I saw her. To my amazement, she ran a little bit and then came right back to my side for some loving. She would run into the woods for a minute and I would freak out, but after a minute or two would come sprinting back to us to make sure we were still there.
She dug a few holes and ran as much as her little heart could take.
I began to trust her throughout the day, to the point that we went inside for dinner and I left her outside. (I checked on her every few minutes.) She would run into the woods and I would think to myself," this is it... this is how it ends..." but without prevail she would run full blast right back to me if I whistled or started walking.

I was so proud of her. I never imagined I could trust her off leash even for a minute, but she sure proved me wrong. We are going hiking and camping in a few weeks, and I fully expect to let her off leash for most of it.

Fast forward to yesterday and she is STILL exhausted. She slept so much yesterday and Sunday, I was starting to worry something was wrong. She was back to her hyper self this morning though, so all is well. Time for another day in the woods!

Does anyone else have a husky that's generally good off leash?
Back to top Go down
http://tylerjenkinsmusic.com/
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: A little bragging on my girl is in order   A little bragging on my girl is in order EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 2:28 pm

Tyler, Miya is very good off leash. We do use her e-collar when going off property off leash for the just in case. To be honest we have never had to use it, because if she ventures a tad too far she comes running back. When we walk she typically will turn around to check on us and make sure we are there. Although I don't recommend it, some huskies are ok off leash and many are not. I think it was great y'all had a great time, and Koda got to do her thing, it does tire them like nothing else. Now there may be a difference from where you live and where I live, in that I would never allow her to be out of sight and ear shot, simply because of the critters we have here, I would not want Miya to get in a situation where a rattle snake, coyote, bob cat, or wild boar could get her, let alone a raccoon, skunk, or possum, to name a few. so my only advice, if you are not out with her, you may want to get a runner for her to stay outside while you are inside. Great story, and good job on training her, you indeed have a solid bond with Koda.
Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

PostSubject: Re: A little bragging on my girl is in order   A little bragging on my girl is in order EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 2:45 pm

Koda and Miya sound VERY similar. Almost like personality twins.

We don't have any poisonous snakes here. I've only seen one garden snake in the 8 years we've lived here. We don't have much of any of those animals you mentioned. We have racoons, but they usually stay far away from the house because my family has deer feeders far away from the property. When I say I left her outside, she was asleep on our outdoor table, so maybe it doesn't count! Laughing

My brother pushed rocks in her hole and she looks pretty pissed about it...
A little bragging on my girl is in order 22924469905_0100aa8582_k
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: A little bragging on my girl is in order   A little bragging on my girl is in order EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 2:50 pm

Haha, the greatest husky pic ever, er, well today, lol!! Love the pic Tyler. Yes I think they are, personality twins, I like that! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: A little bragging on my girl is in order   A little bragging on my girl is in order EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 3:44 pm

Those of use who live in the back end of nowhere really do have the advantage when it comes to letting our dogs run.
Avalanche us beggin' to be let out and I'll probably let him out for a while. He's not good about coming when I call him, but he is good about generally staying close enough I can see the tail above the scrub ... at least enough to have some idea where he is.
Sasha is excellent off lead; she seldom goes very far away from me - 100 feet more or less - and even when she decides to harass a rabbit she still keeps track of where I am.

The disadvantage comes when we start trusting them too much. If Avalanche doesn't check in every 15-20 minutes, I go looking for him. The first Husky I ever had was excellent about running - I had reports of her from as far as five miles away - I could go out and call (hit the metal porch rail - she could hear that) and she'd be back in a few minutes - - - until one time she didn't. I still have no idea what she got into, I never got a report from a vet (she was chipped) ... and I still want her to come home!

I'm adamant that those who live in any city / town / etc should keep their animals on lead since it only takes one simple "accident" ...

And yeh, I love the picture "What'd he have to go an' do that for???"

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: A little bragging on my girl is in order   A little bragging on my girl is in order EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 5:26 pm

lol love the muddy face, that's a good picture.
Back to top Go down
redlattinville
Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

Female Join date : 2015-07-13

PostSubject: Re: A little bragging on my girl is in order   A little bragging on my girl is in order EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 5:32 pm

That muddy face pic is priceless. The true expression of a frustrated pup! I'm envious that Koda is able to run free and you're both very lucky to be in the country. I live in a semi country-esque part of NY but the main road runs parallel to my yard and we have tons of coyotes here.
Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

PostSubject: Re: A little bragging on my girl is in order   A little bragging on my girl is in order EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 5:39 pm

Al, That story breaks my heart. I only let her off if I'm going to be out there with her. She gets a treat if she comes back to me for any reason. I think she loves the freedom, but I don't trust her enough to just let her off without me watching.

Ronin, she's getting a bath soon because she's still yellow...

Amanda, He kept throwing stuff in the hole. He filled it with rocks for the picture, but he also threw leaves in and she was NOT a happy camper. Laughing I would NEVER let her off at my house, but out there in the middle of nowhere, there are few distractions, and she loves the freedom. We have coyotes, but they are few and far between. Very rare.
Back to top Go down
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

PostSubject: Re: A little bragging on my girl is in order   A little bragging on my girl is in order EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 5:48 pm

You are a brave soul lol. That's great she came back! It sounds like she knows who her person is.

On a side note what is it with parents? They can't hear the word "no" or something lol.
Back to top Go down
CoraTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
CoraTheHusky

Female Join date : 2015-08-01

PostSubject: Re: A little bragging on my girl is in order   A little bragging on my girl is in order EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 6:12 pm

Good for you and Koda! Its really nice to see your amazing bond. Sadly I live in a big city or rather the biggest city in Canada so off lead Cora is not happening! I do train her recall pretty hard though in the house, in the backyard and at dog parks just in case one day we get to go somewhere where I'm not worried about a car hitting her! I love the picture! very cute!
Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

PostSubject: Re: A little bragging on my girl is in order   A little bragging on my girl is in order EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 11:39 am

Danielle, I will confess, she looked pitiful all tied up. She was very unhappy with being tied up so they felt sorry for her.

Zoe, thanks, a dog park is probably the same idea, a big field to run in. I don't think she's missing out not being able to run free.
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

PostSubject: Re: A little bragging on my girl is in order   A little bragging on my girl is in order EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 1:13 pm

Wow Koda is a champ Like a Star @ heaven
I sometimes want to try Mylo off leash in the huge park we take him too but nope I can't do it, maybe if it was fully enclosed but its not. I regularly see people with their dogs off leash to the far end of the park (it's not a dog park but its a regular park with three soccer fields). However there have been various times when theres rabbits around and Mylo goes nuts, so I can just imagine him off leash and spotting a rabbit and stopping at nothing until he catches it lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv Online
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A little bragging on my girl is in order   A little bragging on my girl is in order Empty

Back to top Go down

A little bragging on my girl is in order

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1