It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 9:58 pm

Oh my goodness Aidan, he's getting SO BIG! Can't believe he's blowing dat coat already <3
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 10:05 pm

Ericobeasto wrote:
Ya sounds like puppy coat. When koda started loosing his puppy coat it last like 3 months! It was soooo long!!!! Hopefully you wont suffer that long lol!

That sounds like something from out of a horror film, I certainly hope it doesn't last that long.  Shocked 

Mobezilla wrote:
Oh my goodness Aidan, he's getting SO BIG! Can't believe he's blowing dat coat already <3

I know right? I was hoping his puppy coat would stay for another month or two. D:

I'm going to try and gather up all the fur he blows and maybe do something with it one day. Perhaps I could get someone to make a hat or a scarf out of it. Either way I might want to stock up on lint rollers... :I
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 11:49 am

Layla started blowing her puppy coat a couple weeks ago. Like Yukon, about 80 or 90 percent of it was her hind legs and fluffy butt. Now her butt looks even fluffier, haha. I think she's mostly done now. I sometimes tug at the fur on her hind legs and now pull out less fur than I did last week. All I can say is thank God for central vac!

Her hind legs are also becoming lighter and the fur around her neck has turned from black to gray to gray with black tips. It's pretty cool to watch the color changes!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 1:11 pm

So - you're in Billerica (right next to my son who works at Welch's Very Happy ) - about the same latitude as me. Does that mean my outdoor husky is going to start losing his coat now?!!? We still have a lot of winter left here in the finger lakes and he needs his coat. Which also probably explains the sudden increase in hair all over my new, black, chore jacket (my 27 year old Carhartt finally bit the dust pale 
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 1:42 pm

amymeme wrote:
So - you're in Billerica (right next to my son who works at Welch's Very Happy ) ... We still have a lot of winter left here in the finger lakes and he needs his coat.  Which also probably explains the sudden increase in hair all over my new, black, chore jacket (my 27 year old Carhartt finally bit the dust pale 

Interesting coincidences! I grew up in Central New York, in Herkimer (near Utica). After my brother and I left home my parents moved up north to the Adirondacks, and I have family in the Cooperstown area and in Buffalo. I went to Syracuse University for college, so I wasn't too far from you. And, yes, I'm very much familiar with lake effect and all that comes with an Upstate New York winter ... glad I left it, haha.

Didn't know there was a Welch's factory around us, haha. We just moved here from 10 miles southwest of Boston this past July so I'm not super familiar with where everything is. I'll have to bike past it or something someday!

As for similar latitude and coat blowing, I have no clue. Is that how it works, that latitude determines coat-blowing season?
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 3:50 pm

I look back at all of Nala's old photos and she was so much darker than she is now and she is almost 2! she doesn't really have a mask anymore either the whole blowing coat thing SUCKED horribly! I probably have months of fur in my lungs LOL i just cant wait for spring..... NOT! but it is awesome to watch how the coats change over time!!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 4:55 pm

Jack has been blowing for like almost 2 months now!!! i have given up on the fur bunnies... they rule the house now.

Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Mishka *finally* stopped blowing coat. He started back at the end of October. So it has been a hellish several months keeping up with all the fur in the house.

TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

Female Join date : 2013-06-20

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 6:00 pm

Gus is still blowing too! But glad to know that it's different for every husky. I was starting to think he was sick or something!
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 1:11 am

Bodhi was washed yesterday.
I wish I had taken a picture of all the fur.
The major fur blowout  is about two months early for us.
I guess it's because we aren't having winter on the west coast.
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 3:25 pm

So i was wondering if it's normal to lose some guard hairs during a coat blow? Gus has been blowing for quite some time now. He no longer has those tufts that stick out of his hind area. But I still notice a lot of shedding (all over my couch). Recently though, I have noticed that some of the them are guard hairs. Quite thick, and kind of coarse. I also feel like his coat is quite thin. When i brush him, the brush goes through very easily, and i almost feel like i might be scratching him becuase there isn't that much buffer between the pins (the slicker brush) and his skin.
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 4:24 pm

Nala went through the same thing i believe its normal i was able to pull chunks of fur off her little fluffy butt hehe
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 4:30 pm

Nala lost some guard hairs too?

I feel like we're going to start the spring coat blow before the pre-winter one ends!!!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 4:31 pm

Maggie is not blowing anymore yay!!!
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 4:48 pm

She did loose some of those not the whole little fluffy butt but a good portion of it thank god she is passed the sheding phase for now until spring comes and then ill have lungs full of fur again!
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

Female Join date : 2013-05-07

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 10:55 pm

Londons 8 months old and still hasn't blown...is that normal or did she maybe blow and I not notice she is shedding a little bit but no where near a brush full, she is on a raw diet do you think that's maybe why?
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 11:33 pm

blu just finished blowing his coat a month ago... i hope he keeps this one for atleast another two months... he's been seeing his groomer far too often lately.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 11:38 pm

amora wrote:
Londons 8 months old and still hasn't blown...is that normal or did she maybe blow and I not notice she is shedding a little bit but no where near a brush full, she is on a raw diet do you think that's maybe why?

She probably did blow her puppy coat but when that happens it doesn't really come out in clumps; it's like more shedding than usual and lots more hair that comes out when you brush them. Maybe London will wait until spring to blow her first "adult" coat.
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 1:53 am

I think Evie blows year round. I have neverending tumbleweeds and she tries to eat them so i am one with the vacuum. Crazy beasts!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 2:29 pm

amora wrote:

Yuki didn't blow her coat until 16-17 months, so I think its normal.

Yuki (18 months) and Link (24 months) have been blowing their coats off and on since December.
This is what I brushed off Yuki last night from a routine brushing lol
It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 140131_010_zps7e048448
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 12:59 am

Guess I get another free pass on Loki. He still barely sheds at 10 months. My lab has been shedding a lot though. Wonder if I missed him blow his puppy coat cause I am use to hair. A few months back he did get more flufffy but during weekly brushings not much has come out yet.
Back to top Go down
My husky meeka
Newborn
Newborn
My husky meeka

Female Join date : 2013-09-07

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 10:23 pm

Meeka has definitely started blowing her coat. There is fur everywhere!
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 11:29 pm

Jon, she did look fluffier today. Now we know!

BTW, was great seeing you guys today. Meeka is one of Layla's best gal pals!
Back to top Go down
My husky meeka
Newborn
Newborn
My husky meeka

Female Join date : 2013-09-07

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 10:20 am

It was great seeing you guys as well! Meeka loves playing with Layla!
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

Female Join date : 2013-05-07

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 1:13 am

Ugh London is blowing her first adult coat, MAKE IT STOP SNOWING IN MY HOUSE!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next