It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Male Join date : 2013-07-08

It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 3:33 pm

for the most part they'll always shed, its just there is 2 times a year were the hair doesnt seem to quit falling out otherwise known as blowing coat
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 4:27 pm

To be honest, Juneau STILL hasn't shed a whole lot. She has a sleek coat. I get the undercoat rake and I get tuffs of fur, but it's nothing like blowing her coat. She was only 10 months in the spring, so maybe that's why. I'll probably get a big blow out this fall with an undercoat blow and her puppy coat blow.
Back to top Go down
Ashley&Kaia
Puppy
Puppy
Ashley&Kaia

Female Join date : 2010-01-15

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 5:35 pm

They ALWAYS shed! It's just more terrible twice a year where you can see chunks and "pluck" them (I get a lot of enjoyment out of this...Kaia not so much) lol. If you can stay on top of it and brush them atleast once a week it cuts down on the unbearableness of it all but sometimes I can't do it every week. I'm just so used to the fur I don't even notice it anymore...I enjoy the fur cocktails lol
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 9:12 pm

Does anyone know when they get back their undercoat after blowing it out completely? Caper's undercoat is almost completely blown, just some tufts left on his butt. But he's been sleek and flat-coated for what seems like forever.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 8:59 am

When Mishka actually let's me brush him, this is what's been happening lately.

It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 Furbal11

I could probably get tons more but after about 10 minutes, he's done. The shedding is getting worse and worse...

chaseandcaitlyn
Newborn
Newborn
chaseandcaitlyn

Female Join date : 2011-12-30

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 12:43 pm

I told Chase we need to start sewing Akira's hair into coats, it would be the warmest coat ever! Think there's a market for husky down coats? LOL we could all be rich!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 1:09 pm

Only for the smelling impaired, I've heard they smell like wet dog when it rains...
Back to top Go down
chaseandcaitlyn
Newborn
Newborn
chaseandcaitlyn

Female Join date : 2011-12-30

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 1:33 pm

Haha! Well then we'll have to have the smelling impaired as our niche market! haha
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 11:40 am

Well it seems I was unlucky on the front for skipping the first coat blow. Mishka is tufted and the fur is flying off of him right now. Whoooo.

TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

Female Join date : 2013-06-20

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 12:12 pm

I think Gus has started too... and it's our first time! It's kind of concerning when you've never had to deal with a coat blow before! SO MUCH FUR!

What does it look like when they lose their undercoat? I see people saying here that their pup has lost the undercoat on their tail/butts... Gus has never been super fluffy.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 12:17 pm

It's usually pretty easy to notice, you'll see the tufts sticking out in the back legs and neck. Yuki however, doesn't have any tufts, but I KNOW shes blowing by the sheer amount of fur I'm getting out every day. I literally fill one or two kroger bags a day with Yuki, and shes generally my low-maintenance girl and I only get a handful of fur out every couple days.
Back to top Go down
Captain_Husky
Newborn
Newborn
Captain_Husky

Female Join date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 12:38 pm

I Have Stellas hair everywhere! This is her first time blowing her coat as well.

How long does this last? My house looks like a winter wonderland of hair! I brush her everyday, however as wierd as it sounds im saving it to make a blanket when I collect enough! I assume it should be a fairly warm blanket!
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 12:41 pm

Captain_Husky wrote:
however as wierd as it sounds im saving it to make a blanket when I collect enough! I assume it should be a fairly warm blanket!
I wonder if it would smell funny if it got wet or anything like that... Although that's a really cool idea. It's not like anything else is being done with that fur! Razz

Last edited by AMB on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 12:49 pm

The coat blowing has been going for a while at my house, Sometimes its never ending. LOL I vacuum everyday and its sometimes easier to just take them outside and start pulling out clumps, I figure the aminals can use it for winter bedding.

There is a lady that knits hats and scarves from husky fur and donates them, Thise would be very warm.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Juneau has a sleek coat. She's not very fluffy either, but lately her butt has fluffed up, as well as her sides. If you're able to sit down and intensely look at Gus' fur, it should look like a bunch of bunched up undercoat underneath his guard hairs. And it comes out easily.
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 12:59 pm

Hmmm it doesn't seem to just clump up and fly off like other people are describing. But when i use my undercoat cake on him, i get clumps flying off haha. Maybe this is just the beginning for us... or maybe because he's still young, he doesn't have THAT much undercoat to lose yet. We'll see i guess haha. I hope he gets big and fluffy during the winter! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 1:50 pm

Mishka wasn't clumping a week ago but I could tell he was starting his blow. Now that he's back home from being boarded, I can see the tufts and just yank them out. Our neighborhood got a dusting of fur this morning on our walk. Lol.

nichole.1990
Puppy
Puppy
nichole.1990

Female Join date : 2013-06-03

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 2:05 pm

Quick question! Jasper hasn't blown his coat yet which I thought was because he's too young... but now that I'm reading through this thread I'm thinking they blow specific times of the year, is this right?

There was a lady at the dog park with a 6mo female who blew her coat last month so now I'm concerned that Jasper hasn't yet (not that I want my apartment filled with fur lol).
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 5:17 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
It's usually pretty easy to notice, you'll see the tufts sticking out in the back legs and neck. Yuki however, doesn't have any tufts, but I KNOW shes blowing by the sheer amount of fur I'm getting out every day. I literally fill one or two kroger bags a day with Yuki, and shes generally my low-maintenance girl and I only get a handful of fur out every couple days.
I've been wondering if Nova had started to blow coat, she is just shedding an amazing amount, like 3 times what's her normal amount. I didn't know if it was a full on blow cause she hasn't done this yet and she doesn't have the tufts its just mass amounts of fur everywhere.
Back to top Go down
dieseldude
Newborn
Newborn
dieseldude

Male Join date : 2013-02-20

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 3:19 pm

Hi All... My baby boy Jax just started to blow his coat literally going to say two days ago. He is 14 months so this is his second blow... I must be lucky because it's not so bad... First round was doable of course with 15-20 mins furminating AM and PM. I just laughed at all the pictures especially the ones with the fur in the car... I have black leather interior and it usually looks like a wool throw rug in the car after Jax as ridden in it a few times... Smile
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Anubis started about three weeks ago and still I can groom him every day. Wondering when he thinks its enough.
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 1:55 pm

So Gus is still blowing his coat. You can literally just pluck at his bum, and tufts of hair easily come off. I wish it would just all go at once!

I have a few questions for you guys though. Is it normal for him to be really itchy during a coat blow? He seems to be quite itchy right now. But we are also doing some food tests to see if he has a food intolerance, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Also, the area under his arms has very little hair... You can see his pink skin. Is that normal too? Is it just from his coat blow?

Finally, when should i expect him to fluff up again? With Gus having on-and-off digestive problems, I am always paranoid that he is losing his hair due to not getting enough nutrients, etc. When he had giardia, he seemed to lose some of his hair, but once the giardia was gone, it stopped.

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

Female Join date : 2013-12-10

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 4:18 am

I couldnt tell you, but I know keyto is blowing the crap out of her coat at the mo... I just drink around the husky hairs in my coffee now.. ive got an undercoat rake that has 2 rows of teeth and a slicker brush but can brush her for up 2 an hour every second day and it just seems like she is blowing it as quickilu as I am raking it. Sure I could sit there and brush all day and not get anywhere lol. Maybe I need to up my game and brush twice a day everyday at the mo...
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 9:55 pm

So of course I'm not any kind of expert here, but in my unprofessional opinion Yukon may be blowing his puppy coat already...

It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 01411

(Two days ago before I brushed him, looking and acting smug as usual. Razz)
It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 01311

Also easily 80-90% of the fur from that picture came from his hind legs. (In fact I never even got it all out, he started biting at the brushes after awhile so I stopped.) I'm sure it's probably perfectly normal but it is a little odd. Will the rest of his coat start blowing more heavily later?

Last edited by AMB on Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 9:57 pm

Ya sounds like puppy coat. When koda started loosing his puppy coat it last like 3 months! It was soooo long!!!! Hopefully you wont suffer that long lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next