It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Lu is trying to get over his fear of neighborhood dog!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gretalutsen
Teenager
Teenager
gretalutsen

Lu is trying to get over his fear of neighborhood dog! Empty
PostSubject: Lu is trying to get over his fear of neighborhood dog!   Lu is trying to get over his fear of neighborhood dog! EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 5:42 pm

We usually take Lutsen for a walk once I am home from work. We have been going longer distances now that he's going on 15 weeks. There is a police dog in our neighborhood (fully fenced in yard with a sign on their property that reads "WORKING POLICE DOG") and a k-9 unit car usually parked in the driveway.

Lutsen is TERRIFIED of this dog. The dog usually does not stir up much of a fuss as we walk by, he will run up to us, wont try to jump his fence or anything...just stare! Lutsen will walk in front of me every time and scratch at my legs to try to get me to pick him up. I always try to calm him down by having him run through the blvds of snow to get him distracted until we pass the police house.

Yesterday was a beautiful 40 degrees here so we took a longer walk and looped around towards the police house. I was hesitant to walk towards this house again in case of spooking Lutsen but i thought we would give it a shot because there is no chance of the dogs coming into contact. Lutsen looked at the k-9 dog who looked back at him and they held eachother's gaze.

Then, our tough pup slowly walked away! Progress! Ryan and I both think it's probably just because of how intimidating this k-9 dog is, but man he is beautiful!
Back to top Go down
lepp1892
Teenager
Teenager
lepp1892

Male Join date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Lu is trying to get over his fear of neighborhood dog!   Lu is trying to get over his fear of neighborhood dog! EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 6:03 pm

Puppies tend to go through phases of fear. Gabby had a fear of SUVs for about a month. Where we lived I had to walk in the street because there were no sidewalks and small cars and Trucks would drive by without issue but if a SUV or mini-van drove by she would try to running for her life. Occasionally she would start to run from a car but once she realized it was just a car she was fine. I never understood that fear since it was so specific to that type of vehicle. She got over it eventually. I just never made a big deal about it and she eventually got over it.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Lu is trying to get over his fear of neighborhood dog!   Lu is trying to get over his fear of neighborhood dog! EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 6:17 pm

Staring between dogs is rarely advisable. Fixation can lead to issues and challenges. With a young pup it shouldn't be an issue but as he ages you don't want the staring to become a problem between the two dogs. Getting Lusten to ignore the other dog would be best. I wouldn't allow him to just stare back at this dog. Working on heel and passing past the dog without hitch is what I would be working toward. You can even take treats, put him in a heel position and walk him down the sidewalk. Treat him for ignoring the other dog. The heel will also work his brain so he has a task to work on and not be so frightened by the area or other dog. Get him to stop associating the area with fear and instead associate it with a job and treats.

Teenager
Teenager
gretalutsen

PostSubject: Re: Lu is trying to get over his fear of neighborhood dog!   Lu is trying to get over his fear of neighborhood dog! EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 7:16 pm

The stare down was hardly that long but I appreciate your advice. As i said in my original post I usually do something to take his mind off of it like running through the snow banks. Lutsen is the most mellow pup I have ever met so I think he will be fine. I will definitely use treats as a means of distraction as well.
Back to top Go down
gretalutsen
Teenager
Teenager
gretalutsen

PostSubject: Re: Lu is trying to get over his fear of neighborhood dog!   Lu is trying to get over his fear of neighborhood dog! EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 7:30 pm

For future walks I mean! Giving him a job will be good
Back to top Go down
gretalutsen
Teenager
Teenager
gretalutsen

PostSubject: Re: Lu is trying to get over his fear of neighborhood dog!   Lu is trying to get over his fear of neighborhood dog! EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 9:06 pm

TwisterII wrote:
Staring between dogs is rarely advisable. Fixation can lead to issues and challenges. With a young pup it shouldn't be an issue but as he ages you don't want the staring to become a problem between the two dogs. Getting Lusten to ignore the other dog would be best. I wouldn't allow him to just stare back at this dog. Working on heel and passing past the dog without hitch is what I would be working toward. You can even take treats, put him in a heel position and walk him down the sidewalk. Treat him for ignoring the other dog. The heel will also work his brain so he has a task to work on and not be so frightened by the area or other dog. Get him to stop associating the area with fear and instead associate it with a job and treats.

To update I did what you suggested and Lutsen did a lot better today! We didn't see the police dog but another neighbor dog showed his teeth and Lu just used the treats and heal as cues. I just didn't want you to think I was deliberately letting Lutsen sit and stare at the k-9 dog...that would be scary!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lu is trying to get over his fear of neighborhood dog!   Lu is trying to get over his fear of neighborhood dog! Empty

Back to top Go down

Lu is trying to get over his fear of neighborhood dog!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1