It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Re-Introduction

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
meemster414
Puppy
Puppy
meemster414

Female Join date : 2015-07-13

Re-Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re-Introduction   Re-Introduction EmptyTue Feb 16, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi everyone! I had introduced myself last year. I kind of went on a break & so I'm back. At the time I was in the process of adopting a husky puppy mix, we were able to bring him home for a few days until the shelter called and said they found a better family for our guy. Since I live in an apartment they felt a family with a yard was better. We were really sad when we had to return him. It's been a year and I think we're ready for another try at getting a husky Smile

Hi everyone! Again hehe
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Re-Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Re-Introduction   Re-Introduction EmptyTue Feb 16, 2016 3:30 pm

That is a really low blow on the shelter's part. I have never heard of a shelter doing such a thing. They are supposed to do their interviewing and decisions BEFORE they send a dog anywhere. I hope you find a pup that fits you great. Plenty of people live in apartments and have happy huskies. You just have to be extra dedicated to daily exercise and potty training, but it's totally doable. Welcome back!

Puppy
Puppy
meemster414

Re-Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Re-Introduction   Re-Introduction EmptyTue Feb 16, 2016 3:52 pm

Thanks for the welcome! I work at an office where we can bring our dogs to work and I'd give it as much exercise as needed Smile so I figured living in an apartment wouldn't be an issue. They said they felt I wasn't a good "fit". If they didn't think I'd be a good fit, why would they let the dog go with me in the first place? It was heartbreaking for my daughter... even though we only had the puppy for a week, she bonded with it.

Back to top Go down
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

Re-Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Re-Introduction   Re-Introduction EmptyTue Feb 16, 2016 4:02 pm

I know the feel. I went to an adoption event before I got loki and fell in love with a little pup named Elliott. When I tried to adopt him they said no because they would only adopt to a house with a fence. They said I shouldn't even bother filing out an application. I got so mad I didn't try to rescue after that. I think these people get so fixated on finding the perfect home on paper that they forget that love, responsibility and dedication are far more important than having enough money to get a big house with a yard.

Don't be discouraged. A husky in an apartment who gets lots of regular exercise love and training will do even better than one in a big house who doesn't get all of that. You'll do great. I know a lot of people will get mad at me for saying this but there is nothing wrong with getting a good puppy from a responsible breeder. A lot of these rescues have blanket restrictions that just aren't working and it might not be an option for everyone. Good luck!

Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Re-Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Re-Introduction   Re-Introduction EmptyTue Feb 16, 2016 4:19 pm

Well.....somehow my post disappeared, lol. Welcome back. How terrible that the rescue did that. I am sure you will find the right one in no time. I do agree that rescues should look deeper than a fenced in yard, my breeder was really adamant on fenced yard, until I said that I stay at home and am always out with my dogs, then he was more flexible, rescues need to have some flexibility in placing dogs, there are too many needing a home.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Re-Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Re-Introduction   Re-Introduction EmptyTue Feb 16, 2016 5:28 pm

Rescues are funny, some seem to be so strict that you'd think they'd never let a dog go to anyone.  Others don't seem to care just so long as they don't have to deal with 'that dog' any longer.

One we have here, (okay, actually in Ft Davis,) has a fence rule on their books ... but not only did they give me a dog when I don't have a fence, they asked me to take another after an accident with the earlier one.  

I seem to remember you from earlier, welcome back!

@MiyasMomma disappeared huh??? Maybe the internet gods were trying to tell you something ....?!?!?!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Re-Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Re-Introduction   Re-Introduction EmptyWed Feb 17, 2016 4:01 pm

meemster414 wrote:
Thanks for the welcome! I work at an office where we can bring our dogs to work and I'd give it as much exercise as needed Smile so I figured living in an apartment wouldn't be an issue. They said they felt I wasn't a good "fit". If they didn't think I'd be a good fit, why would they let the dog go with me in the first place? It was heartbreaking for my daughter... even though we only had the puppy for a week, she bonded with it.

That's awful!!! My son tried to adopt a husky from a CT. rescue...they said no, no particular reason even though he loved the dog, had his own house with 5 acres of land in very rural area. I even vouched for him, gave them the link to my scrapbook so they could see that we were accustomed to huskies, even spoke in person. She was very vague and the dog remained on their website for a month or more. BUt, he now has Archer from a different rescue and we all love him,.
Back to top Go down
meemster414
Puppy
Puppy
meemster414

Re-Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Re-Introduction   Re-Introduction EmptyWed Feb 17, 2016 5:23 pm

I had people vouch for me too. I don't understand why some shelters do that Sad
Back to top Go down
Jenah
Puppy
Puppy
Jenah

Female Join date : 2016-03-30

Re-Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Re-Introduction   Re-Introduction EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 1:13 pm

We initially tried to rescue a second husky, but were turned down after going through a very long interview process. Eventually, we had to go through a breeder even though there are hundreds of homeless huskies. The pup we wanted was 9 months at the time. He's now 1 year and 9 months and still in foster care.
Back to top Go down
meemster414
Puppy
Puppy
meemster414

Re-Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Re-Introduction   Re-Introduction EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 1:24 pm

@Jenah I'm sorry you had to go through that too. I don't understand why shelters do that.

how are your huskies doing?
Back to top Go down
Jenah
Puppy
Puppy
Jenah

Female Join date : 2016-03-30

Re-Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Re-Introduction   Re-Introduction EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 1:58 pm

I know Sad My huskies are doing great! Your little one is so cute. I love his little nose spots!
Back to top Go down
Mark Grubbs
Teenager
Teenager
Mark Grubbs

Male Join date : 2016-01-10

Re-Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Re-Introduction   Re-Introduction EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 3:06 pm

Welcome back!  Do you have a Husky or is that the one they took back?  When I first looked at him, I thought "This guy hacked my computer and is stealing pics of my dog!!"Re-Introduction Img_2511
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Re-Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Re-Introduction   Re-Introduction Empty

Back to top Go down

Re-Introduction

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1