It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Brewers Yeast? Good or bad for Husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LibbyM
Newborn
Newborn
LibbyM

Female Join date : 2016-02-18

Brewers Yeast? Good or bad for Husky Empty
PostSubject: Brewers Yeast? Good or bad for Husky   Brewers Yeast? Good or bad for Husky EmptyThu Feb 18, 2016 2:20 pm

I've been giving my 1 yr old girl Abby brewers yeast tablets for...4/5 months ish, -

(i'm giving her the Garmon Corporation Brewer's Yeast with Garlic Vitamin Tablets, 1000 tabs from amazon)

-and I wouldn't say I've noticed a significant improvement in her coat, but then again I mainly got it for flea prevention. But she also gets a monthly flea treatment, so I don't even know if it's doing anything, or if it's even necessary.
(*note* I live in the california valley, i.e dessert, so fleas are really bad in summer months)

I also have been stewing on the fact that it contains garlic, which according to "general consensus" is bad for dogs in general.

I'm thinking about just giving her some omega 3 fish oil instead, (grizzly oil off amazon) and nixing the tablets, but I don't want to if they are actually good for her.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Brewers Yeast? Good or bad for Husky   Brewers Yeast? Good or bad for Husky EmptyThu Feb 18, 2016 4:57 pm

Mostly, I think it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If there are no specific issues, she's healthy, energetic, good coat, teeth, bright eyes then I think either a good quality kibble or raw diet is sufficient.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Brewers Yeast? Good or bad for Husky   Brewers Yeast? Good or bad for Husky EmptyThu Feb 18, 2016 5:11 pm

For good fur, fish oil is sufficient. I give fish oil every day and vitamin E every other day. Fish oil depletes vitamin E, hence the vitamin E supplement. As Amy said, there are no real cons to brewers yeast (unless allergic or reactive to excess yeast). Brewer's yeast does have a lot of vitamins and minerals that are good for a dog, or a person, especially if they have a low meat or low protein diet. So if you feed all low protein kibble adding it wouldn't hurt to fill in some gaps that might be happening. If you feed raw or partial raw then you can probably skip it. As for fleas, I am not sold on it's ability to repel fleas. There have been studies that say no. The garlic however will. As long as garlic is low then it is fine for your dog to have it, but only in low quantities.

Your husky is very pretty. Looks a lot like my girl.

Newborn
Newborn
LibbyM

Female Join date : 2016-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Brewers Yeast? Good or bad for Husky   Brewers Yeast? Good or bad for Husky EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 11:13 am

Thanks for the advice! I couldn't afford to get like the top of the line dog food, but I at least wanted to feed them grain free. The one she's eating now has chicken and sweet potato, but I think I'm going to switch to the one with salmon. I think I will keep giving her the brewers yeast since her food probably isn't super high quality, and she hasn't had any negative reaction to it.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Brewers Yeast? Good or bad for Husky   Brewers Yeast? Good or bad for Husky EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 3:51 pm

LibbyM wrote:
Thanks for the advice! I couldn't afford to get like the top of the line dog food, but I at least wanted to feed them grain free. The one she's eating now has chicken and sweet potato, but I think I'm going to switch to the one with salmon.  I think I will keep giving her the brewers yeast since her food probably isn't super high quality, and she hasn't had any negative reaction to it.

I don't know your price point but Taste of the Wild, High Prairie delivered to your house is 30# for 44 and change - if you order 2 bags every 10 weeks or so, the shipping is free. Just kind of rough coming up with close to 100. in one month...but then you're good for the next month and then some.

Tractor Supply 4 Health is another reasonable grain free, just not quite the protein content of the TOTW.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brewers Yeast? Good or bad for Husky   Brewers Yeast? Good or bad for Husky Empty

Back to top Go down

Brewers Yeast? Good or bad for Husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1