It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy still crying after 2 weeks.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tikanistormsurprise
Newborn
Newborn
tikanistormsurprise

Male Join date : 2016-02-17

Puppy still crying after 2 weeks. Empty
PostSubject: Puppy still crying after 2 weeks.   Puppy still crying after 2 weeks. EmptySat Feb 20, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi all I'm kinda new to this forum and to owning a husky.

I've read alot of training things on here and they have helped loads but one thing that isn't changing is my 10 week old puppy crying in his crate all the time.
After having him 2 weeks I thought he would have gotten used to routine.
We have tried letting him go in on his own, feeding him treats in there, playing with him in there and even leaving small hidden treats for him to find randomly. Literally as soon as he goes in he will start crying, we have tried walking out the room then coming back in repeatedly at different time lengths. No avail.
His crate isn't too big he can turn around in it and stretch out. He has his favourite toys and a Kong stuffed with goodies. He just isn't interested and just crys.

On a night we leave him downstairs under our stairs and he crys for hours then sleeps for maybe an hour or 2 and when I get up to let him out in the middle of the night he usually doesn't cry until he is put back in.

I did my research for huskies months and months before I decided to get one but I feel like I am doing something wrong and can't think of anything else to help his stress during his time in the crate. After
Any one got any ideas? I would really appreciate the help, thanks. cyclops
Back to top Go down
jspec0482
Puppy
Puppy
jspec0482

Female Join date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Puppy still crying after 2 weeks.   Puppy still crying after 2 weeks. EmptySat Feb 20, 2016 9:14 pm

Have you tried a Kong with peanut butter? That has helped ours, and putting him in our room.

Eta: I missed where you said you were already using the kong.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Puppy still crying after 2 weeks.   Puppy still crying after 2 weeks. EmptySat Feb 20, 2016 9:45 pm

Let me see, if I'm reading this right - you toss a treat into his crate, he goes in to get it and immediately starts crying?  Yep, there's something wrong with that.  << I'm only sort of being facetious >>

I'm going to assume (which gets me in trouble, right?) that what you mean is that when you leave the door open, he goes in and out without a problem.  It's when you shut the crate that he starts crying ... is that right?

While I don't crate - I'm retired and home most of the time - I'm going to make a couple of suggestions. Try putting the treat in his crate, closing the door, but don't go anywhere. At 10 weeks old, he still wants to be with his pack (in this case, you) if you shut him in the crate and then leave, it's making the crate his prison. If you can shut him in while you're in the room with him, then you can work up to leaving him alone ... but he needs to be comfortable that he's not getting left.

The other thing, as jspec mentioned, if he's in your bedroom with you he's a lot less apt to be noisy. Again, he wants to be with his pack and if he can see and hear you (all?) at night, then he's apt to be more comfortable.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
DjSamphard
Newborn
Newborn
DjSamphard

Male Join date : 2015-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Puppy still crying after 2 weeks.   Puppy still crying after 2 weeks. EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 12:45 am

I have pretty much given up on crate training. Only time raiden will go inside his crate is when its his meal time. He crys way to much and wakes up everyone in the house.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Puppy still crying after 2 weeks.   Puppy still crying after 2 weeks. EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 1:47 pm

Huskies are notorious for separation anxiety and they will do everything in their power to get their way if they think they can. that includes crying for hours if they know you will eventually break. Crating in the same room with you as was suggested sometimes helps. Also covering the crate so that they can't see out and aren't disturbed by any light that might be getting to them when it's quiet time. Teaching quiet time can go a long ways also. Reward for silence, ignore for sound. Crating or having a room that is dog proof will be important as he ages to his protection and the protection of your house, so finding something that works for you as soon as possible and implementing it will be as good for him as it is for you.

PostSubject: Re: Puppy still crying after 2 weeks.   Puppy still crying after 2 weeks. Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy still crying after 2 weeks.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1