It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How old is this puppy?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
p3pikr3izi
Newborn
Newborn

How old is this puppy? Empty
PostSubject: How old is this puppy?   How old is this puppy? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 12:18 pm

Hi guys I'm thinking about getting this puppy but I'm not sure if the person is being honest about his age. How old does this puppy seem to you? Thank you very much.

How old is this puppy? Image13

How old is this puppy? Image14

He's said to be 3.8 Kgs. He doesn't get on well with the guys other dog.
Back to top Go down
jspec0482
Puppy
Puppy
jspec0482

Female Join date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: How old is this puppy?   How old is this puppy? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 12:27 pm

The puppy doesn't get along well with the other dog?

It looks like two different ages in the photo, the second looks about the same size as my 9 weeks old. But it's hard to say. I also don't know how to convert kgs.
Back to top Go down
p3pikr3izi
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How old is this puppy?   How old is this puppy? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 12:41 pm

How old is this puppy? Image15

He sent four pictures and I picked 2 out of 4 to upload. 3.8 kgs = 8+ lbs
Yes this puppy doesn't get on well with another dog of the seller but he's assuring me that it's the other dog's personality, it's not the puppy's. He claimed the dog is 7 weeks old but it seems younger to me, I don't know. How come the ears are so floppy.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: How old is this puppy?   How old is this puppy? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 12:43 pm

Thats 8.3 pounds. And his ears aren't full up yet so to me that is a very young pup. But I have not been around puppies in eons so the difference between 4,5,6,7 weeks is lost on me.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: How old is this puppy?   How old is this puppy? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 12:52 pm

The way dogs grow largely depends on their lines. Some grow faster or slower than others, but by weight alone I would put the pup in the 6-7 week range. His ears aren't up yet either which should put him under 9 weeks about. The first picture makes the pup look overweight. Keeping pups lean is important for growing joints. Pups shouldn't be away from their mother before 8 weeks so if this guy isn't the breeder and got this puppy way too early I suspect that by "not getting along with the other dog" he means that it bites and nips and won't leave the other dog alone, which is why you don't take puppies away before 8 weeks so that they are taught bite inhibition by their litter mates and mother. Mouthiness and biting is totally normal for puppies taken too early.

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: How old is this puppy?   How old is this puppy? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 1:26 pm

Checked with Google - he's a good friend of mine - and the consensus comes to two different opinions (how can that be a consensus?)

The first is that a puppy's ears should be erect or mostly erect by about 7 weeks.  When you talk to him he should be able to direct his ears toward you.
The second is that it's all up to the pup.  Some come up earlier and some later but most should be up by about 8 weeks.

Also, unless it's natural pigment, the pups nose should be mostly dark by about the 8 week mark.

So I go along with the comments that this is a very young pup - maybe 6 weeks old (but like Amy, I haven't been around pups in years!)

Personally and this is completely off the cuff, I think your 'breeder' is an idiot.  This puppy doesn't get along with his other dogs?  That can be any of several different things - well, one mostly - if the other dog is an adult, it may be correcting this puppy.  That's a natural part of socialization that puppies need from their pack.  If this puppy is rambunctious then it may be aggravating the other puppies and adults - to me that's a good sign that the puppy is alert and healthy - it wants to play!  The other puppies in the litter and the other adult dogs will be constantly correcting him and that's what should happen.  And yes, sometimes it looks like murder and mayhem - but if he's really pushing the limits, the others will be correcting more stringently.

Almost all of the problems we see here from puppies and young dogs are a result of them being taken from their litter too early.  They don't get to learn how to be a dog because they've been removed from the ones who should be setting the example (their sire, dam and litter mates)

If the breeder is using his disruptive personality as a reason to get rid of him early then no matter what your choice is then he'll move the pup to someone.  If you take the pup then you need to be prepared to do all the correction that he'll need.  Potty training will probably be a chore, chewing and nipping will be a full time hassle - I can't say it can't be overcome and a joy to watch the pup grow into the dog he should be, but you're going to have to be all the things that he's had taken away from him.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
p3pikr3izi
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How old is this puppy?   How old is this puppy? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 1:29 pm

omg what's with this guy?

How old is this puppy? Image10

How old is this puppy? Image18
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: How old is this puppy?   How old is this puppy? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 1:38 pm

That pup was taken very young at 6 weeks. He will be a chewer and nipper. Something to definitely consider. Sounds like he came from a backyard breeder who sold him to someone who didn't do their research an ounce. Poor puppy. He's the one who is really going to get the short end of the stick with the idiots he's been handled by so far. If you are still thinking about pursuing him you might see if you can get the name of the breeder and ask if that breeder offered any health guarantees. Price seems a little steep if there are no health guarantees, registration paperwork that can be put in your name, and things of that nature.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: How old is this puppy?   How old is this puppy? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 1:39 pm

Okay, my mistake there - this isn't the breeder, sorry.

I agree with your comment "What's with this guy?" In one text he says "I tried to return him" and a few later he says "I didn't try to return him."

I'm presuming that 850 is BPS? That would work out to about US$1200 ... unless he has KC papers, that seems high to me but then I really have no idea what's appropriate.

I'll bow out with the comment that the pup deserves a good home and obviously where he is now isn't all that great. If you do take the pup, you'll have your hands full but it's always a pleasure to see a pup grow up!

Back to top Go down
jspec0482
Puppy
Puppy
jspec0482

Female Join date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: How old is this puppy?   How old is this puppy? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 1:49 pm

Poor puppy. That's a really high price... My pup came from a terrible situation and had a scar on his face (which made him harder to sell, thankfully allowing him to stay with his mom till 8 weeks), and I paid $100 for him, which I know is super low, but average for a husky pup around here is like $450, the highest I've seen was $800 and that was with papers and all that. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
p3pikr3izi
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How old is this puppy?   How old is this puppy? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 2:03 pm

it's 850 CAD guys (438 GBP or 620 USD) I'm from Canada, and there's a London (Ontario) here as well lol. Thanks for the advice I'm still debating whether or not I should try to negotiate further to get this puppy, I already sensed something fishy about this when he claimed his puppy was 8 weeks old and the way he twisted his answers to my questions. Also I'm aware of the dog's possible issues as well. Thanks again guys king
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: How old is this puppy?   How old is this puppy? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 2:12 pm

I knew about the London in ON, I'm originally from across the river in the 1,000 Islands area; did not know there was also a Rutherglen up there which is what sent me to the UK - and still not sure about that? Smile

Since you're aware of the potential problems (er, challenges) I'd like to see you bring him home since he deserves a good home and you're giving me all the right vibes for being a good home.

Whatever you do, the best of luck to you - and if you get a Husky, keep in touch, eh??

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How old is this puppy?   How old is this puppy? Empty

Back to top Go down

How old is this puppy?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1