It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Please help with a list of do's and do not's?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ImaDork
Newborn
Newborn
ImaDork

Male Join date : 2016-03-06

Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  Empty
PostSubject: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptySun Mar 06, 2016 12:51 pm

Hey fellow friends! So I have had a hard time trying to get other members in my family to understand how Kiba, my 10 week husky puppy, and the breed respond to stimulation.

I work and I am single and in my early 20's, so I do not always have the day with Kiba. While I work Kiba goes to my mothers for dog watching. While I expected there would be some form of attachment between puppy and human (my mom). I did not expect the lack of respect when it comes to trying to teach him. My mother constantly reprehends any attempt at training him due to lack of knowledge of what is appropriate for a husky puppy and what is not. She allows him to lay in bed, climb over the couch while she eats, laughs when he does something he doesn't need to be doing and when I try to show him appropriate actions she gets defensive, picks him up and cuddles him. Reinforcing the bad behavior.

I really need a simple list of do's and do not's that she can follow. I've told her, made a list myself and nothing has gotten her attention. She acts as though, because she's owned labs and pit bulls that ALL dogs act the same. So maybe something from the community, a community which is very biased towards Siberian Huskies, she will finally begin to understand that the actions are not like training her Black Lab mix. The actions she takes seriously reinforces bad behaviors and the idea that he is the pecking order.

Thank you, enjoy your Sunday!
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptySun Mar 06, 2016 3:04 pm

Well, it really depends on the dog and your expectations. I don't think there's any universal dos and don'ts, except for obvious ones that are for every breed like don't let them go in the house or biting is bad. Everyone has different standards of what's okay.

For instance, my Anya lays in the bed and sits on the couch with us, and always has and that's fine with us. We think it's adorable and we love cuddling her in bed.

He's a puppy. And a husky. He's going to get into mischief. That's not to say he should be allowed to do anything he wants, but honestly, they're not that different than pit bulls in terms of what's acceptable or not. They want to play, they want to chew, they want to be loved and spend time with their pack. They're more independent and probably more intelligent than pits or labs so huskies can get themselves into naughty situations (like opening their crates, or in my dog's case, opening car doors Shocked), but it's not like they're innately more aggressive.

But I get that you want to stop certain behaviors. For instance, if you don't want him to jump up when people visit and your mom encourages it, that's an issue. But you've talked to your mom about it and she hasn't changed, so I don't think making a list is going to help.

And really, your mom is doing you a HUGE favor watching your pup while you're at work. Puppies are adorable, but tons of work, and that's a lot for her to do for you. I would hesitate scolding her or telling her she's doing things wrong when she's essentially raising the dog for you. IF you were to pay for dog-sitter, you'd be looking at $30-50 a day.

If you find what she's doing to be really unacceptable, then maybe once your pup has all of her shots send her to doggy daycae or hire an pet-sitter in the meantime.
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Female Join date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptySun Mar 06, 2016 4:20 pm

I think it would benefit you to take your puppy to a day care rather than your mom's place if you don't want his behaviors influenced by her actions.

When my mom comes to visit, I have told her repeatedly not to feed people food to my dogs. It reinforces their begging behavior, sometimes causes loose stools and weight gain, and I don't like it. She undermines my authority in this regard all the time by giving them food from her plate anyway, then laughing, hugging them, and saying something like, "We don't care what she says; we're going to feed you anyway, huh?" It angers me because these are MY dogs and she's causing bad habits to form that I have to work hard on after she leaves. It's a LOT easier to teach a dog the right behavior by not letting the bad habit form in the first place. I know she's my mom, but this kind of behavior from her is really disrespectful towards me. It also hurts my feelings and makes me wish she wouldn't visit.

Based on what you've said, your mother isn't going to listen to you in regards to what you want for your puppy, so if you feel really strongly about this, find someone else to watch him when you're at work, or find a way to contain him at home where he won't get into trouble (such as a crate or a puppy-proofed room that doesn't have carpet in case he has accidents). Unfortunately, your mom doesn't sound anymore reliable in this situation than my own mother.
Back to top Go down
Mark Grubbs
Teenager
Teenager
Mark Grubbs

Male Join date : 2016-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptySun Mar 06, 2016 10:52 pm

I understand that you are looking for a list to show your mom so that you can say, "See, these are the rules." The best advice I can give you is to go to the pet store and pick up a book on Huskies. I did and it almost convinced my wife to NOT let me get a Husky.

I have had a whole bunch of different dogs in my life. All different breeds. German Sheppard, Labrador, Scottish Terrier, Mini-Schnauzer, and multiple mutts. This breed is by far the most challenging. If I didn't know better, I would swear that Zhukov is the dumbest dog ever. However, he is by far the smartest and most manipulative.

At 5 months, (we have had him for 3 months), He has learned how to use a bell to let us know he has to go out, he knows multiple commands (sit, "bang" lay down, come here, and off). Whether he choses to listen and actually obey.... now that is a different story.

Sometimes, he is attentive and obeys. Sometimes, he looks right at me and does whatever he feels like doing at that moment. Sometimes, he acts like I am not even speaking. I have looked him right in the eye and said "Sit", and I swear to God, he stares right back at me like he is saying "No, YOU sit". Most of the time he is awesome with the commands, but every once in a while, it is like he is a Prisoner of War, messing up the guard's count just for the fun of it.

Anyhow, I digress. Get the book. Make her read it. Unfortunately, she is your mom. She already spent 18 years putting up with your attitude and figures if she could get you to turn out right, then a dog is no problem at all.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptySun Mar 06, 2016 11:33 pm

Ok, guys...I'm a mom. I have my own husky. We also frequently have my son's husky for extended periods of time. Our rules are much different from son's. And you know what - doggy has adapted well to both!

Here - he sleeps with us...ok he sleeps, we....toss and turn. At home, he sleeps on the floor in his bed. He's up on the couch with us while we watch tv. At home, he lays on the floor at their feet. We feed carefully sorted table food - I separate pieces of meat and vegetables without seasoning, put it in a custard bowl with a cocktail fork. The dogs sit on either side of Hubby who feeds one for you, one for you, one for me. At home? He lays on the floor and waits for his dinner after they eat.

Your mom will likely become highly attached to your dog - sometimes it just about kills me when Archer goes home...but, he IS my son's dog and my son loves him and that comes first. So, be kind to your mom and be glad your pup is in good hands. But do make sure she understands that if puppy gets loose, puppy could be gone for good!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptySun Mar 06, 2016 11:54 pm

One way you can manage the situation.... ask her to help you, as in "hey mom, could you teach puppy to sit and wait  for his treats?  When he comes over for food, make him sit and when he sits, give him his treats...."  when he masters that, hey mom, can you teach him "paw"  And then.... thanx mom, he's making a lot of progress.

Last edited by amymeme on Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 12:41 pm

Amy is right. Your dog will come to understand there are different rules at your mother's place than at your place. So that'll work to your advantage as long as your consistent with your own rules. Amy has great suggestions for how to approach this with your mom too. I would give those a try and see if they work for you.
Back to top Go down
lepp1892
Teenager
Teenager
lepp1892

Male Join date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 4:56 pm

I have had a similar issue. I currently live at home with my parents (moved home to save money while my GF finishes her Doctorate out of state). My GF and i have Joint custody of Gabby for the time being and the rules at my parents house and my GFs place are different. She has learned the rules at each place but tries to push them every once in a while.

Biggest thing is to get your mom to understand the reasoning behind the rules you have set. My parents have understood this and try to be cooperative (most of the time). My mom likes to give Gabby treats. The treats are in the kitchen and will also pull food straight out of the fridge and give it to her in the kitchen. I do not like her getting treats/food there because it will lead to begging in there. I have also been pushing them to make her do some sort of trick before getting anything. Getting mad about it/at her will not help the situation. You need to explain the reasoning behind it and talk to her is a calm manner about how you would like your dog trained.

You will never get away from the "He's my Grandpuppy and I will smother him mentality" but you can most likely come to an agreement on what you will let him get away with there. Your pup will also learn the rules and each place he goes.
Back to top Go down
ImaDork
Newborn
Newborn
ImaDork

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:25 pm

Thank you all for the replies. Yes, I agree with most that Kiba would most likely learn both house rules. And yes, she is in love with Kiba so much so that she is now seriously looking into getting a husky.

My main thing is that, yes, he does get scraps there but as a puppy he is beginning to beg both home and at my mother's.

To top this off, she feeds him beneful wet food. I've had a hard time getting him to eat his puppy kibble. The breeder gave blue. So I have given him blue, who, diamond, orijien, and taste of the wild... He likes nothing. He will only eat beneful. It's super unhealthy and I wish he would eat the kibble... It's getting expensive buying all these premium foods.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 8:13 pm

ImaDork wrote:
Thank you all for the replies. Yes, I agree with most that Kiba would most likely learn both house rules. And yes, she is in love with Kiba so much so that she is now seriously looking into getting a husky.

My main thing is that, yes, he does get scraps there but as a puppy he is beginning to beg both home and at my mother's.

To top this off, she feeds him beneful wet food. I've had a hard time getting him to eat his puppy kibble. The breeder gave blue. So I have given him blue, who, diamond, orijien, and taste of the wild... He likes nothing. He will only eat beneful. It's super unhealthy and I wish he would eat the kibble... It's getting expensive buying all these premium foods.

You should be providing the food for your mom to feed him. If beneful is what he likes, (when you say wet - do you mean kibble with water or canned beneful?) I would take 1/4 of the beneful, mix it with 3/4 food of your choice and then stir an equal amount of water and mix the whole mess up. That way the flavor ingredients of the beneful will coat the good stuff.

Is your Mom up to walking a siberian husky umpty ump miles a day? On the other hand - if either of you have an appropriately fenced yard (I use invisible fence) the two will have each other to play with. And...when your pup becomes a full on teenager, your Mom may have an awakening...
Back to top Go down
ImaDork
Newborn
Newborn
ImaDork

PostSubject: Message   Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 11:47 pm

I am providing the food, she just feeds all her dogs the canned Beneful stuff and he gets it. I keep wasting money on foods he doesn't like trying to get him to eat healthier, by-product free food. I tried the idea of mixing the Beneful and the kibble, still nothing. He will eat the canned food, so I bought a premium can food that is by-product and corn/wheat free. Seeing if he will eat that, if not I have no idea what to do.

I have no idea, I am telling her to wait and see if she actually likes the breed. It's a lot different than the Lab and Bulldog she has now. I think she will change her mind when she realizes that they're high strung and high energy dogs.  

Oh and I am going to post some pictures - Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  Wb0IVFd
Back to top Go down
ImaDork
Newborn
Newborn
ImaDork

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 11:47 pm

Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  LA29JVG
Back to top Go down
Mark Grubbs
Teenager
Teenager
Mark Grubbs

Male Join date : 2016-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 11:56 pm

Ok, after you posted the pictures, I gotta cut your mom some slack. Sweet Jesus, look at that baby!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 4:24 am

He is beautiful! Looks like he may have some wooly in him... if so, make sure he's accustomed to grooming early.. the mat something fierce and my boy hates grooming!
Back to top Go down
ImaDork
Newborn
Newborn
ImaDork

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 2:38 pm

Yes, he certainly hates grooming but we're taking it slow, a couple minutes a day, working up.

I do believe he is wooly, it's my second husky. Luke, my childhood dig died at 12 years due to old age. Been a good 4 years or so since. I took time between Luke and Kiba.

I try to cut her slack, I know he's a cutie!! I'm just venting mostly, the frustrations are nice to get out. Thanks for listening guys and gals.
Back to top Go down
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 4:00 pm

Oh gosh. I know the feel. When I take loki to my mom's she gives him bits of whatever she's eating. Right in front of me no less! I've asked her a not to and shown her research on why it's a bad idea, but she's my mom and in her words "I brought you into this world I can take you out of it." Lol! Dog daycare isn't such a bad idea. Or you can just let it go. Tbh it's probably a losing battle. Sorry!

When I groomed puppy loki I always gave him a bone to chew on to distract him while I brushed him. Now he loves grooming and will approach me when I grab the brush.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 10:20 pm

Is Kiba eating any kibble or just the canned food? If he's just getting canned food it's possible you can approach your mom with "it's just not good for his future health to be eating only canned food". I have no fact to base this on, merely *my* experience (and I was just a kid, haha) but my families very first husky was fed a soft food for the first couple years of his life, it was sold in these little pouches and looked a lot like ground beef, anyways, my mom often wondered if she "ruined" him because later when given kibble, he never really chewed it, kinda just rolled it up into his mouth and swallowed it. I'm thinking possibly, especially at Kiba's age, that a puppy/dog *needs* to chew its food for healthy teeth and jaws. I don't think it's actually healthy so much for a dog to eat only canned food, I'd think it's ok as an added bonus or something of that nature to add to kibble, but as its soul nutrition I don't think its very good. Unless the dog is a senior maybe, and has teeth issues or something along those lines.
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 12:03 am

I'm sorry, that lil guy would be so, so spoiled by me. Oh, you want prime rib? Sure thing little one. You want to sleep in my bed and me to take the floor? You got it.

Seriously, how do you get anything done with that little face nearby!!!!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 2:15 pm

He's adorable! Definitely a wooly. My last Husky was one. I loved him a lot and still miss him quite a bit.

Hopefully you can get him off the Beneful. I have read so many reports that peoples' dogs were getting very sick from it. Sad I think that's only from the dry food, though.
Back to top Go down
ImaDork
Newborn
Newborn
ImaDork

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 4:15 pm

He only will eat the wet food, I've tried to mix in kibble with it and he won't go near it. I've bought super premium canned foods and he won't touch those either. It's like beneful is crack laced!! He's addicted to it.

I bought some lean pork chops and I'm going to lightly bake those today, grind them to add to his kibble.if that doesn't work I'll be out of idea's.

Yes, he's adorable... Too adorable if you ask me >.<. He won't sleep in my bed, he prefers his kennel by the window. Maybe the cool air? But I certainly do spoil him. Everytime I go to our local pet store I have it in mind for one thing... Then somehow I walk out with their in house baked goodies, organic pig ears, toys and a broke bank account. He gets too much x.x
Back to top Go down
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 4:30 pm

I hate to suggest it, but in cases like this, it might be in his best interest to wait him out. Don’t offer him anything to eat except what you want him to eat. Huskies are not going to let themselves starve. He will eventually give in and eat his kibble.
Back to top Go down
ImaDork
Newborn
Newborn
ImaDork

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 8:58 pm

Hm seems harsh but probably effective. I don't know if I am able to withstand not feeding him, I'd feel guilty.

The pork worked... somewhat. He mainly picked through the kibble.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 9:49 pm

Parents love their children and, at least at first, miss them when they go to school - school is kinda harsh compared to the home environment but we know that it's in the child's best interest to go to school and get an education.

Husky's like to run and if we let them, they'll run until they drop - but it's in their best interest, for a whole slew of different reasons, to restrain them to ways and places where they can run and be safe.

Training a dog to spend the day in a crate can be harsh, but the alternative (think chewing on an electrical cord) can be so much worse.

No healthy dog will die of starvation setting beside a dish of good, healthy dog food.  There's nothing harsh about crating a dog while you're at work, it's something that you and the dog have to learn to live with (if you crate your mutt, of course).  There's nothing harsh about saying "I'm buying you the best food I can afford; if you decide you're not going to eat - well, that's on you!"

Notice the caveats in that paragraph though.  A healthy dog, a vet visit might be in order to make sure there's nothing wrong with teeth / gullet / etc that makes him not want to eat.  Good, healthy dog food.  I know people down  here who feed Ol' Roy and I feed Purina Dog Chow - neither are good dog foods but they're willing to eat them and it's food I can afford without having to eat it myself.  Fromm's is among the best and I'd like to feed that, but it's twice (or more) than what I can reasonably afford ... I don't eat steak, I eat hamburger; my dogs don't eat Fromm's they eat dog chow.

Don't hesitate t be "harsh" when it's needed, it's often in the dogs best interest.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 9:53 pm

ImaDork wrote:
Hm seems harsh but probably effective. I don't know if I am able to withstand not feeding him, I'd feel guilty.

The pork worked... somewhat. He mainly picked through the kibble.

I'm going to hazard a quess and say he's probably being overfed...
Back to top Go down
ImaDork
Newborn
Newborn
ImaDork

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 12:19 am

I can not say for certain, I tell my mom once during the day. Since I go to work from 7 to 3 I typically feed him once more at night, usually after I eat. When he was smaller he ate about 3-4 times a day, burnt a lot of energy and slept. Now he does a lot of play, running with the other dogs, sleeping and less eating.

I wasn't trying to be snobbish, sorry if I came off that way - My boyfriend and I, being the main provider currently, are lucky enough to be able to eat well and ensure we have good, healthy food for our dog. I've been there where I've only eaten ramen and frozen pizza's for months.

At night he prefers to sleep in his kennel, I try to get him to snuggle but he has no interest. My 'mutt' tends be a little bit of a lone wolf at times. So he does have a kennel and he does like it until he is locked in it for long periods of time.

We already have an appointment at 5:00 tomorrow, I will see what the vet says.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please help with a list of do's and do not's?    Please help with a list of do's and do not's?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Please help with a list of do's and do not's?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next