It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Paige Groom
Newborn
Newborn
Paige Groom

Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  Empty
PostSubject: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 3:31 pm

Hi Guys,

So my 2 year old husky diesel hasn't exactly had the best life Sad We rescued him at 6 months from a house full of dogs. Fighting for 1 bowl of food between them all. Although we got him out of all those bad habits and hes not the best of friends with my female myiah (blue eyes) . Although recently he has had so many problems. Hes got mild hip dysplasia which we keep checking and it isn't getting any worse which is good. Although about 5 months ago he started chewing at his back paws and was getting the to point he was tearing them aapart. We tried so many vets who tried so many different types of medication and nothing was helping. We had boots on him but also a busta collar because as you all know huskies are very clever dogs haha. But recently we took him to a certain vets in Wolverhampton . They put him on a high dose of steroids as they said it is allergies ( he has suffered with allergies since he was young too). And finally he stopped going for his paws and it was amazing ! we though we were getting our big boy back. Although his side effects to the steroids were terrible. Weeing were ever he was laying and wouldn't get up. But in the last 2 days its like his back legs have given up on him. So we took him back to the vet and they have now dropped the bombshell on us hes 80% sure hes got a tumour on his back right side by his spine which is causing this. But before we go down the route of getting the medication for his cancer we want an MRI scan to make sur 100% that is what is it !! But his insurance ran out and we thought it renewed on its own... It didn't Sad So anything he has been having recently its coming out of our own pocket and the vet said it will cost thousands by them . I was just pleading for help if ANYONE new a good vets we could go to.. To finally get real answers along with someone who can do an MRI but not for thousands as we cant afford that :'( Please we need serious help we don't want to lose out little boy at just 2 years old !! We live near Birmingham but we are willing to travel to get him the help he needs.
PLEAS EVERYONE !!!

Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  10411310
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 3:51 pm

Is there a vet school around you that you could see? They are usually cheaper as the students are learning. I am sorry to hear your beautiful boy is going through this though. Sad

Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 3:53 pm

Is he still on the steroids?

What you describe sounds eerily similar to a husky I had that was having seizures. Upon bringing him to the vet, they injected meds in him and then gave my a prescription for pills to give him to keep seizures at bay. For an entire week, he could not get up, could not walk, and would pee and poop where he laid. I brought him back to the vet and the vet concluded that he probly injured his spine during a seizure and would probly never walk again...and recommended to me to put him to sleep. I declined that (they even made me sign a paper to that affect!) and brought him home. He continued to get worse and I finally stopped giving him the meds. The next day, I carried him outside and laid him by the pool cuz that's where he loved to lay and he stayed there a bit, then I was shocked to see him pull himself up, and walk (wobbily of course) to the side yard where he went pee. This was a dog the vet thought I should put to sleep! What ended up happening was I took him to my regular vet, who surmised he was overdosed on the meds, and we got him to a more moderate dose to control seizures but still be able to function. From then on he was fine! I realize we are talking about two different situations/drugs, but maybe there is a connection between the meds and your pup not being able to get around anymore. . What exactly makes the vet think he has a tumor? X-rays or something?
Back to top Go down
Paige Groom
Newborn
Newborn
Paige Groom

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 3:58 pm

simplify wrote:
Is there a vet school around you that you could see? They are usually cheaper as the students are learning. I am sorry to hear your beautiful boy is going through this though. Sad

Hi thankyou for your comment. I don't know about a vet school but I will definitely search that. Thankyou !!
Back to top Go down
Paige Groom
Newborn
Newborn
Paige Groom

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 4:01 pm

Artic_Wind wrote:
Is he still on the steroids?

What you describe sounds eerily similar to a husky I had that was having seizures. Upon bringing him to the vet, they injected meds in him and then gave my a prescription for pills to give him to keep seizures at bay. For an entire week, he could not get up, could not walk, and would pee and poop where he laid. I brought him back to the vet and the vet concluded that he probly injured his spine during a seizure and would probly never walk again...and recommended to me to put him to sleep. I declined that (they even made me sign a paper to that affect!) and brought him home. He continued to get worse and I finally stopped giving him the meds. The next day, I carried him outside and laid him by the pool cuz that's where he loved to lay and he stayed there a bit, then I was shocked to see him pull himself up, and walk (wobbily of course) to the side yard where he went pee.  This was a dog the vet thought I should put to sleep! What ended up happening was I took him to my regular vet, who surmised he was overdosed on the meds, and we got him to a more moderate dose to control seizures but still be able to function. From then on he was fine! I realize we are talking about two different situations/drugs, but maybe there is a connection between the meds and your pup not being able to get around anymore. . What exactly makes the vet think he has a tumor?  X-rays or something?

Hi thankyou for your advise I really appreciate it !! Yes I understand that it is 2 different situations but we don't know whether it could be the meds we have mentioned that.We're worried if we take him off the steroids he will start chewing at his paws again Sad
Hes on 2 tablets 3 times a day Sad And they did a test were they placed his paw on the front of it paw to see if he springs it back and he didn't. And he has a slight lump on his back which we have never ever noticed because of all his furr Sad
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 4:03 pm

Can someone reverse the "bad advice" in the op...I bumped it Sad I hate this phone!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 4:10 pm

Sorry about the red mark.

I would maybe take him to a different get first. And see if the meds can be reduced and see if that helps. The bump could be something, or not, but I'd definitely get a second opinion before spending thousands of dollars on a MRI. I'm not educated on steroids but I suppose it's possible it could form a lump (not necessarily cancerous but more a fatty type of thing) I don't know though, I'm definitely not a vet, it just sounds too coincidental to me and knowing what I know about my own situation makes me think a second opinion might be helpful.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 4:16 pm

I would do an Xray or an ultrasound over an MRI, both will show masses. If there is a lump they can also test the lump (needle) to find out what is in it before looking to see if that is the cause.
as for the feet chewing, it could be allergies but other then the meds have you adjusted his food to see if it was an allergy to the food you were feeding?
can you call the pet ins place to see if they will start the ins back up with the understanding you thought it would renew or has to much time passed?

so sorry you are going through all this Sad

Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 4:22 pm

Having a better idea where you are located might help us track down a vet or vet school for you. Depending on the school will depend on if that is the cheaper route to go, but they do at least let you set up payment plans that some vet offices might not, but in general the vet schools can do more and have better equipment to work with than a regular vet.

Did the vet figure out what he was allergic to or did he just shrug, say it was an allergy, and start pushing meds on him? If you knew what he is allergic to then you could actually fix the issue rather than mask it with steroids that could be some of his recent issues. Many huskies have grain and chicken allergies so if you are feeding him anything with those you might swap him off and see if that helps when you quit the steroids. Vets usually can do a biopsy themselves to see if it's cancerous. I would think your vet would be able to do that much without diving into thousands of dollars.

Newborn
Newborn
Paige Groom

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 4:31 pm

TwisterII wrote:
Having a better idea where you are located might help us track down a vet or vet school for you. Depending on the school will depend on if that is the cheaper route to go, but they do at least let you set up payment plans that some vet offices might not, but in general the vet schools can do more and have better equipment to work with than a regular vet.

Did the vet figure out what he was allergic to or did he just shrug, say it was an allergy, and start pushing meds on him? If you knew what he is allergic to then you could actually fix the issue rather than mask it with steroids that could be some of his recent issues. Many huskies have grain and chicken allergies so if you are feeding him anything with those you might swap him off and see if that helps when you quit the steroids. Vets usually can do a biopsy themselves to see if it's cancerous. I would think your vet would be able to do that much without diving into thousands of dollars.

I'm based in Walsall. West midlands. Sorry. But like I said we are prepared to travel. And the vets exact words were because he suffers with allergies they can constantly change with what hes allergic to so hes just put him on steroids without knowing what he is allergic to. Is that true ?? Can it constantly change ?? And he is already on his grain free food with chicken and that has always been fine for him Sad And is biopsy the test were they take fluid out of his spine ?? If so hes had that :'( and they said everything is fine !! I don't understand whats wrong with him
Back to top Go down
Paige Groom
Newborn
Newborn
Paige Groom

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 4:33 pm

jbealer wrote:
I would do an Xray or an ultrasound over an MRI, both will show masses. If there is a lump they can also test the lump (needle) to find out what is in it before looking to see if that is the cause.
as for the feet chewing, it could be allergies but other then the meds have you adjusted his food to see if it was an allergy to the food you were feeding?
can you call the pet ins place to see if they will start the ins back up with the understanding you thought it would renew or has to much time passed?

so sorry you are going through all this Sad

Ow right okay thankyou I thought an MRI would be the only one to show tumours ect.
Thankyou for your advise though !! And no hes always been on grain free food which has always been perfect for him Sad
And yes sadly it had only passed by 2 days but they still wouldn't allow us to renew Sad
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 4:46 pm

biopsy is the needle test Jenn mentioned where they poke the tumor. the xray and a biopsy will probably be your best starting point for dealing with the tumor.

I've never heard of allergies constantly changing. That sounds like someone who doesn't want to fool with finding out what is going on and would rather blanket treatment. It could be the chicken in his food (especially since allergies is something he has always had and if you've always fed him the same protein sourced food, or it could also be something that he has gotten into. The betweens of toes are also a hot spot for yeast infections that can get carried away randomly when an allergy goes unchecked for a while or if he's spent a lot of time sloshing through the wet lately and his toes don't get sufficient dry time.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 5:01 pm

Paige Groom wrote:

Ow right okay thankyou I thought an MRI would be the only one to show tumours ect.
Thankyou for your advise though !! And no hes always been on grain free food which has always been perfect for him Sad
And yes sadly it had only passed by 2 days but they still wouldn't allow us to renew Sad

i 2nd Jenn (the other one Razz ) on changing the protein of the food.

as for the pet ins, i would be on the phone bitching to talk to a manager, there is NO REASON after 2 days they should not let you renew that is bullshit and bad customer service. i would threaten with going to social media with what they have done to you with a pup that needs the coverage after you rescued him.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 5:54 pm

It's not so much as allergies constantly changing, more that, if you're an "atopic" individual, meaning someone prone to allergies, you can get one allergy under control and have more pop up. I am a poster child for that...have been on and off allergy shots for 3 different sets of allergies. And with this spring's tree pollens, am considering another round of testing Sad

As for prednisone. Highly unlikely to cause either the lump/bump or a paralysis. It can, in high doses for extended periods of time, cause muscle atrophy and weakness. Slight possibility that it could have caused a tendon rupture but not likely to be both legs. So my first question would be - can he move his legs at all? Is it paralysis or are his muscles just weak. What is his dosage and how often is he taking it?

As for the lump/bump itself - a needle biopsy or ultrasound would certainly be a cheaper option and possibly just as helpful as the MRI. I would find a different vet for a 2nd opinion - maybe a vet school in your area?
Back to top Go down
Paige Groom
Newborn
Newborn
Paige Groom

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 6:22 pm

hi thank you for all youre replys .
my daughter put the post on for me as I was at college so I may be able to give you more info.
rescued him as stated but 4 mnths not 6 lol and straight away noticed his back legs not like my females so had them xrayed had diagnosis of very slight hip dysplasia on a scale of 1,10 he was a 2 max . started joint supplements and a recent xray 4 weeks ago now at the age of 2 years 4 1/2 months and it was still minor 2 so no change. when we had him he kept getting swollen eyes and ear infections etc so back to vets who said put him on a grain free food and chicken and try that. that was over 12 months ago so he has been having wainwrights grain free with chicken or turkey added and has never had ear infection or eye swollen ec since we switched (touch wood.) 3 months ago he started biting his back paws to the point he was making them bleed. started just back right then progressed to back left. fast forward 3 months 4 vets later and to date medication(apoquell, low dose of steroids,antibiotics,hibiscrub,loxicom even gabapentin and amtitricyline as one vet even thought it was in his head) and nothing worked or stopped it whatsoever.he also had a spinal tap blood work done and all came back clear just slightly anaemic. so a week sunday just gone I decided to clip his paw fur right back to make sure I was soaking them properly and I was so surprised at what I found his paws were swollen bright red and sore and even had slight cut on the one. so I rang back the vets and asked to see someone that day to show them his paws so we are now seeing vet number 5!!! he took one look and put him on a dose of 3x5mg twice daily of steroids. bingo!!! the biting stopped and the redness started to go down and within 3 days he was clear of his buster collar and booties which I had alternated between for 3 months. I was so happy I was finally getting my boy back. but last Thursday I noticed him going off his back legs every once I a while and just wanting to lie down constantly. I knew his steroids were high dose and thought perhaps its another side effect has hes getting the thirst and hungry constantly and weeing ever such a lot . come Friday he seemed to be getting worse so I rang vet who said they would ring me back but never did so over the weekend I kept a close eye on him and rang vets back Monday to get him straight in, has Monday morning he weed himself and just lay in it and was also pooing with blood in his poop. took him staright up and saw the original vet who said that him being going off his legs is not a side effect of steroids and he started doing these joint tests where he would turn his rear paws one by one on there toes backwards basically to see if he brought them back . left he did most times but right he wouldn't so vet said could possibly be something to do with tumour on spine??? but could only tell by a scan. but like my daughter said I'm not a irresponsible owner and had both mine insured but my insurance ended on the Friday and when I rang on the Monday they said it had expired the Saturday and I hadn't ticked the box online to auto renew !!!!!! so I had to start a new one . I insisted to talk to a manager who said the same and said they could quote me for a new one but wouldn't include his issues so in not so many nice words I declined and hung up. PET PLAN it was and I wouldn't mind but I went for the most expensive cover due to the breed and size. vet then said ill drop his dose to 2x 5mg twice daily and to ring back Friday and also gave him some meds for collitus due to blood in stools. so this is where we are at now. no insurance and noody will cover us as ive tried and back to square one as today he started biting paws again due to drop in dosage yesterday. hope that answers any questions abit more in detail and all youre advice and help is much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Paige Groom
Newborn
Newborn
Paige Groom

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 6:27 pm

amymeme wrote:
It's not so much as allergies constantly changing, more that, if you're an "atopic" individual, meaning someone prone to allergies, you can get one allergy under control and have more pop up.  I am a poster child for that...have been on and off allergy shots for 3 different sets of allergies.  And with this spring's tree pollens, am considering another round of testing Sad

As for prednisone.  Highly unlikely to cause either the lump/bump or a paralysis.  It can, in high doses for extended periods of time, cause muscle atrophy and weakness.  Slight possibility that it could have caused a tendon rupture but not likely to be both legs.  So my first question would be - can he move his legs at all?  Is it paralysis or are his muscles just weak.  What is his dosage and how often is he taking it?

As for the lump/bump itself - a needle biopsy or ultrasound would certainly be a cheaper option and possibly just as helpful as the MRI.  I would find a different vet for a 2nd opinion - maybe a vet school in your area?

his walking if forced but very very slow and crys to get up and its more his right one. and yes that's what the vet said they are constantly adding new allergys if they are prone to them which he is. lump? my daughter misunderstood vet said more than likely a tumour but my cat passed off one age 18 in October and he had a lump so think shes just presumed lump. vets exact words was something could be sitting on his spine as the was his tail has kind of stuck out slightly then gone limp. the needle shes also referring to was the spinal tap to test his csf fluid.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 6:46 pm

Ugh...what a painful story.

The steroids could be responsible for the intestinal bleeding.  If I understand your post correctly, there is no visible mass/lump/swelling on his back and the vet concluded there may be a mass/tumour pressing on his spine because of the results of his physical exam - ie, articulating the paw joints.  If I'm reading you correctly, it does seem to me that your vet is following a reasonable treatment protocol.  

While an MRI would be the gold standard, an ultrasound could quite possibly show if there is any kind of soft tissue mass.  I'm guessing a needle biopsy is not possibly yet because it is not known if there is a mass and thus, not known its location?  I think I would ask your vet if an ultrasound could be the first step to ascertain if there is a tumour.  Based on my limited knowledge, it does sound like he was testing neurological funcion in his lower hind legs and found it impaired.  That is really not likely to be prednisone side effect (all my neurological issues go away while I'm on prednisone.)

I hope this is at least some minor help - my heart breaks for you and what you and puppy are going through.

EDIT: I have some confidence in the ultrasound over the MRI because several years ago, my toddler grandson had a mysterious lump on his lower back (which I told everyone was probably from when he got caught between the back and seat of my rocking chair, but, because there was not bruising, only a fist sized cyst like lump, everyone thought I was nuts.) The pediatrician referred to surgeon who wanted an MRI - and he would have to be anaesthetized. Hubby examined it, declared an ultrasound would give the same information, he was referred for ultrasound...dx - probably some sort of soft tissue injury...surgeon said,yeah. probably getting caught in the chair would do it.
Back to top Go down
Paige Groom
Newborn
Newborn
Paige Groom

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 6:52 pm

amymeme wrote:

The steroids could be responsible for the intestinal bleeding.  If I understand your post correctly, there is no visible mass/lump/swelling on his back and the vet concluded there may be a mass/tumour pressing on his spine because of the results of his physical exam - ie, articulating the paw joints.  If I'm reading you correctly, it does seem to me that your vet is following a reasonable treatment protocol.  

While an MRI would be the gold standard, an ultrasound could quite possibly show if there is any kind of soft tissue mass.  I'm guessing a needle biopsy is not possibly yet because it is not known if there is a mass and thus, not known its location?  I think I would ask your vet if an ultrasound could be the first step to ascertain if there is a tumour.  Based on my limited knowledge, it does sound like he was testing neurological funcion in his lower hind legs and found it impaired.  That is really not likely to be prednisone side effect (all my neurological issues go away while I'm on prednisone.)

I hope this is at least some minor help - my heart breaks for you and what you and puppy are going through.

that's what my vet said .... he said he would treat with steroids but obviously they not agreeing with him.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 7:07 pm

Paige Groom wrote:

amymeme wrote:

that's what my vet said .... he said he would treat with steroids but obviously they not agreeing with him.

With the severity of his allergies, I'm not sure you have much of a choice...though, one thought I had reading through, is that several dogs on here are allergic to chicken...is it possible to do a limited ingredient, non-chicken food for him? In the very short run, I might even be tempted to try just hamburg and rice or something similar.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 7:11 pm

TwisterII wrote:

<< snipped >>

Hey, asking where people are is my line.  I looked for 'Britishisms' and didn't see any off hand so assumed Birminham AL - and there are four good Vet schools there.

From a quick look in England, the Royal Veterinary College, in London, would look to be *my* choice of schools.  Google around though for there are several schools in the center of the UK.

ETA there are 8 schools offering Veterinary Medicine in the UK (and one in Ireland) - for your information, they are:
Bristol Vet School: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/vetscience/
Cambridge Vet School: http://www.vet.cam.ac.uk/
Edinburgh Vet School: http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/vet/services
Glasgow Vet School: http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/vet/
Liverpool Vet School: http://www.liv.ac.uk/veterinary-science/
Nottingham Vet School: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/vet/index.aspx
Royal Veterinary College - London: http://www.rvc.ac.uk/
Surrey Vet School: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/vet/index.htm
[Dublin Vet School: http://www.ucd.ie/vetmed/]

What services are offered by each is anyone's guess, but you can look them up and give them a call. Maybe one of the teaching vets (who are normally *VERY* good) can offer some guidance.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .

Last edited by aljones on Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 7:13 pm

I also had another, more ominous thought...if his allergies around the face got better and the paw thing is only the hind legs and has shown up after the facial allergies are better...he may be chewing not from itching do to allergies but paresthesias due to a mass on his spine (or other compressive problem) And prednisone can certainly make that feel better...when I am on prednisone for my asthma, all the paresthesias I get from spinal stenosis go away...when not on prednisone, my feet burn, tingle, numb, hot/cold. Very annoying.
Back to top Go down
Paige Groom
Newborn
Newborn
Paige Groom

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 7:28 pm

With the severity of his allergies, I'm not sure you have much of a choice...though, one thought I had reading through, is that several dogs on here are allergic to chicken...is it possible to do a limited ingredient, non-chicken food for him?  In the very short run, I might even be tempted to try just hamburg and rice or something similar.[/quote]

I'm gonna try that from tomorrow. its worth a try I'm willing to try anything.
Back to top Go down
Paige Groom
Newborn
Newborn
Paige Groom

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 7:32 pm

aljones wrote:

TwisterII wrote:

<< snipped >>

Hey, asking where people are is my line.  I looked for 'Britishisms' and didn't see any off hand so assumed Birminham AL - and there are four good Vet schools there.

From a quick look in England, the Royal Veterinary College, in London, would look to be *my* choice of schools.  Google around though for there are several schools in the center of the UK.

What services are offered by each is anyone's guess, but you can look them up and give them a call.  Maybe one of the teaching vets (who are normally *VERY* good) can offer some guidance.

thank you so much that's brilliant .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 7:47 pm

OK - just ran this by my physician husband (people, not veterinary!)

He suggest an MRI...stat. His thinking, dog is immunocompromised from prednisone, has new trouble with hind legs, slight fever (I think you said that, can't find it in a hurry)...quite possibly and epidural abscess, which is an infection treatable with antibiotics which if not treated asap can result in paralysis.

Sorry to be the voice of doom and gloom. Also, if its the tumour route - and INSIDE the spinal column, an ultrasound would not show anything.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 8:09 pm

Please... Hubby says spinal tap may have introduced an infection... he can't stress enough that this is potentially an emergency and needs to be figured out pronto.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!    Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Back legs have gone at the age of 2. Please help !!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next