It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Need multiple helps!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
vitalsign
Newborn
Newborn

Need multiple helps! Empty
PostSubject: Need multiple helps!   Need multiple helps! EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 9:20 am

Hi guys, as i am new here... I need some help...
Previously i had an experience with my friend's Saint Bernand female pup of 5 weeks age and she was calm and quite, and i trained her potty outside within a week,.. About a month and half, i bought myself i Siberian Husky pup (boy) Enzo, he was also 5 weeks of age ( I know i took him early as i didnt research well that its better the puppy should be of 8 weeks old to buy)... Now i have multiple issues...
I live in 9th floor apartment...
I cant potty train my dog because sometimes he doesnt sniff much to potty, he might do that while eating his food (i.e takes two three bites, goes 2-3 steps and eliminates, returns and continues eating)... Tried to train him outside, caught him sniffing around so i took him ,ran all the stairs or by the elevator but as soon as we are outside the building, he doesnt potty and thinks its the time for a walk... He goes good with the leash, but jumps on the people around... I stayed with him for an hour, and max walked with him for two hours but he never potty outside... As soon as we return he will potty.... I bought a potty training crate with artificial grass but he never touches it... Even tried the potty helping oil drops too... Secondly he loves chasing his tail, i tried many times with a loud "no" he stops and after sometimes again chases his tail.... I need to get rid of this hobby of his... Thirdly, he is in a puppy biting phase, well he sometimes bite too hard (i know its my fault as i took him in 5 weeks age)...
The only thing i managed to teach him is Sit for 15 seconds and wait for my order to start eating...
So here i repeat the questions again:
1. How should I potty train him outside?
2. How to get rid of his tail chasing habit?
3. How to make him stop his puppy biting and jumping?
P.s His age right now is about 10 weeks...
Will be grateful for your suggestions and help
Issue number
Back to top Go down
jspec0482
Puppy
Puppy
jspec0482

Female Join date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Need multiple helps!   Need multiple helps! EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 10:57 am

I'm not sure what to do about the potting because that behavior is odd. The tail chasing however is one of two things: 1. It could be signs of some sort of neurological issue that needs to be ruled out by a veterinarian, idk where you got the dog from but being that he left at 5 weeks there is a chance of poor breeding practices which can cause lots of behavioral issues (my mother once had a maltipoo who had been inbred, he had lots of strange behaviors, including difficult to potty train). The second reason dogs chase their tails is boredom. It's a sign of understimulation. Take longer walks, buy him a Kong or some other type of food puzzle toy and see if it helps.

As for the biting, he wasn't able to be taught by his mother because he left the litter early; I always found a high pitched squeal followed by ignoring the puppy to be effective. For jumping I would teach the off command.
Back to top Go down
vitalsign
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Need multiple helps!   Need multiple helps! EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 11:09 am

Well thanks, i think its because of boredom as we walk just 1 hour a day... Because his vaccination isnt finished... And veterinarian told me to wait till he gets his rabies shots...
For biting, i do high pitch squeals and it does help me by not getting a hard bite... Tried ignoring him but he then moves to other things... Even if i go to another room and close the door...
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Need multiple helps!   Need multiple helps! EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 9:16 pm

Have you tried putting him in a time out where there isn't anything else for him? Pen him up in a corner or bathroom where there's nothing for him to get into or do. It's not advisable to use his crate though since you want that to remain a good place for him.

Puppy
Puppy
Jenah

Female Join date : 2016-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Need multiple helps!   Need multiple helps! EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 9:54 pm

As far as the potty training it seems like it might be best to just start over. I would make a schedule to take him out every 2 hours or so. If it helps, set a timer on your phone for every 2 hours and make sure you take him down then. If you can take him out before he's peeing inside it might help him to associate outside with the bathroom. If he knows he will go outside every two hours and is on a consistent schedule he will know to wait until then. Once he is good with that you can stretch it out to every 3 hours, every 4, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need multiple helps!   Need multiple helps! Empty

Back to top Go down

Need multiple helps!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1