It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Afraid of strangers?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SnowDeam
Newborn
Newborn
SnowDeam

Female Join date : 2016-05-16

Afraid of strangers? Empty
PostSubject: Afraid of strangers?   Afraid of strangers? EmptyFri May 20, 2016 5:22 pm

Hello everyone!

Recently I've noticed my pup has developed a sort of fear towards strangers. When we took him to petsmart for the very first time he would completely shut down and try to hide from everyone. As he grew older we kept taking him out to try and get him to be more social with people and their dogs. So far he's gotten much better and actually walks around in the store now. But the other day at petsmart, a man came up to him while I was paying at the register and went to grab at Deamon without asking me if it was okay or even acknowledging me and Deamon unfortunately, snapped at him.

He's done similar things like this before where he'll cry out of fear and hide behind me or my boyfriend when someone goes to pet him. I don't know what could be causing this behavior. My boyfriend thinks it's because he gets unexpectedly touched a lot and roughly played with sometimes by people or their kids out in public. However Deamon doesn't seem to snap at people or have any problem with those who ask us first if its okay to touch him because we are actually able to tell them beforehand to be gentle and slow when petting him. Most of the time people don't ask us for permission before petting him and it worries us because we can't control how he'll react to people popping out of nowhere and grabbing at him. We don't want him to end up biting someone out of fear but we also don't want to isolate him. Any advice? :/  I'm so torn between continuing to take him out and socializing him or just simply leaving him at home to avoid stressing him out. I don't understand, he's so good with us at home! Never has he snapped at us or shown aggression.. It's only when he's out in public. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of strangers?   Afraid of strangers? EmptySat May 21, 2016 10:45 am

He needs to get out. Start taking treats with you and have the stranger s give her treats before they pet her so she has something good to associate with them. People that don't ask to touch drive me crazy. It's inconsiderate and rude. Surprisingly I have had some luck with tying a yellow ribbon to my girl's lead or collar. I don't do a bow because people thought I was being cute but just tying it quick to her makes people wonder and they will ask. Yellow ribbons on dogs or their equipment is meant to mean caution. At first I didn't think anyone would pay attention or know, and for the most part people don't know what the ribbon means, but it seems like it catches their attention enough to get them to ask.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of strangers?   Afraid of strangers? EmptySat May 21, 2016 11:51 am

TwisterII wrote:
He needs to get out. Start taking treats with you and have the stranger s give her treats before they pet her so she has something good to associate with them. People that don't ask to touch drive me crazy. It's inconsiderate and rude. Surprisingly I have had some luck with tying a yellow ribbon to my girl's lead or collar. I don't do a bow because people thought I was being cute but just tying it quick to her makes people wonder and they will ask. Yellow ribbons on dogs or their equipment is meant to mean caution. At first I didn't think anyone would pay attention or know, and for the most part people don't know what the ribbon means, but it seems like it catches their attention enough to get them to ask.

I get a similar reaction from people when Ami has his backpack on - everyone assumes he's a service dog and asks about him and permission to pet.
Back to top Go down
SnowDeam
Newborn
Newborn
SnowDeam

Female Join date : 2016-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of strangers?   Afraid of strangers? EmptySun May 22, 2016 11:56 am

Thank you for the advice! I had a guest come over last night and Deamon got scared/slightly aggressive. He eventually calmed down after my guest sat down and started petting him so I guess he has to learn strangers mean no harm.
Back to top Go down
Judah
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of strangers?   Afraid of strangers? EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 3:07 pm

This is a some what controversial method but I've learned that people are very cautious to touch a dog wearing a muzzle. Interesting since thats when they -can't- bite, but seeing it there makes them leary to grab on.

With a nervous dog I would consider trying it, he's nervous because when hes out in public he expects to get grabbed unexpectedly, his anticipating a negative experience. A muzzle would keep most people back.

If the dog hates the muzzle that will make things stressful in a different way so if you do try it make sure to introduce it to him gradually so that he's not uncomfortable wearing it.

I like that yellow ribbon idea too, if a muzzle sounds too extreme. Anything that makes people stop and ask, some people just dont care though. I've seen people that will pet and play with service dogs wearing "DO NOT PET" vests, so if you have issues with that a muzzle would deter even the rudest of strangers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of strangers?   Afraid of strangers? Empty

Back to top Go down

Afraid of strangers?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1