It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New dog flying in on monday...where to start??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Karyne
Newborn
Newborn
Karyne

Female Join date : 2016-05-28

New dog flying in on monday...where to start?? Empty
PostSubject: New dog flying in on monday...where to start??   New dog flying in on monday...where to start?? EmptySat May 28, 2016 9:03 am

Hi everyone...and help!

I am welcoming a 9 month old female this week....she is a mix of husky and malamute...I'm used to labradors Wink

The previous owner is very young and had started to train her as a sled dog so she did get a lot of exercise but I have a feeling she was a little unexperienced with the basic training.

She is not quite potty trained yet...she still goes on a puppy pad when in the house.
She has never been crate trained (crossing my fingers for the plane ride in a crate on monday)
I have seen many picture of her sleeping on the sofa (this will be a no no here) and apparently she jumps on everything

where to start?? any advice?? Shocked

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New dog flying in on monday...where to start??   New dog flying in on monday...where to start?? EmptySat May 28, 2016 10:43 am

Oh, hi again!  I already said "Hi!!" in your other thread but figured I'd answer what I could of this thread.

Do you ever have a challenge coming your way.  For starters she's in what we call "her teenage phase" meaning that she, like a human teenager, will do everything she can to aggravate you as she's striving to find her place in your world.  

My first piece of advice is one that you've probably seen several times here - when she's in the house tether her to you.  Take a regular leash and tie it to you (or your chair, for example) so that you are aware of what she's doing and can learn the signs she uses for when she needs to go out; that also let's her know that you're the boss.

Puppy pads are a disaster! They really, in my opinion, do one thing - they tell the dog that it's okay to "go" in the house, your first challenge is to begin with her as if she is a puppy and begin full-on house breaking. (( the tether will help *a lot* with that!! ))

As for jumping on things - again the tether will work wonders; if she starts to jump on the couch, you have the tether and just don't allow it.  If she starts to jump on a person, step on the tether, pull your end toward you  and she *has* to go down. Of course a simultaneous verbal correction is also in order.

I don't know what type of training her previous owner tried to do, but full training should wait till she's at least a year old; oh, teach her the commands you plan on using as you're walking her but don't put any weight (to pull or carry) on her for a while yet.

I, too, have had labs and love their personalities - but you're in for a new experience as Husky's and Labs can be as different as night and day.  My too Huskies (one Alaskan and one Siberian) are about as laid back as any I've heard of - but the Alaskan has never met anyone who isn't a new found friend!

Welcome to *our* world and remember that it will only get better as time goes by - for the first few weeks you're going to wonder why you brought her into your nicely organized world and then you'll realize that she fits, it just take time and a lot of patience.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: New dog flying in on monday...where to start??   New dog flying in on monday...where to start?? EmptySat May 28, 2016 1:23 pm

Well, Al gave you the best advice, and what I would have said as well. welcome to the forum, a ton of useful info here and wonderful people here to help. It may get overwhelming, so when she does aggravate you, maybe a walk will be in order, haha. Anyways build a bond, some solid trust (hand feeding helps in those two areas), they are incredibly smart, and once you find a balance between manners and training you will fall for this breed totally. There is some threads on crate training that will be helpful. With the crate make it her happy place and she should accept it without too many issues, just takes time. It's a fun ride....so enjoy it!
Back to top Go down
Karyne
Newborn
Newborn
Karyne

Female Join date : 2016-05-28

PostSubject: Re: New dog flying in on monday...where to start??   New dog flying in on monday...where to start?? EmptySat May 28, 2016 6:38 pm

New dog flying in on monday...where to start?? Img_5110

testing to see if I figured out how to post pics....don't mind me lol
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New dog flying in on monday...where to start??   New dog flying in on monday...where to start?? EmptySat May 28, 2016 7:20 pm

Don't mind at all - especially if that's a pic of the young one coming your way. Looks like you have it figured out - you are now the resident expert on how to post from a Macbook! << laughing >>

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New dog flying in on monday...where to start??   New dog flying in on monday...where to start?? Empty

Back to top Go down

New dog flying in on monday...where to start??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1