It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

need help we cant seem to progress

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
simon_g84
Newborn
Newborn

need help we cant seem to progress Empty
PostSubject: need help we cant seem to progress   need help we cant seem to progress EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 10:41 am

hi im new to this forum and im a 1st time owner of a siberian husky, he is 16 weeks old and getting quite big now too, we connot seem to progress with the toilet training, i will often (every few hours) take him into the garden for the toilet and when he does he he gets all the praise and fussed other times we will stand there for up2 20min and he wont do a thing, gets back inside the house and oops there u go all over the carpet again, he is even soiling inside his cage aswell.

if i go out the house im gone for 20-30min max and i come back to either a mess spread all over the kitchen or a mess spread all over the inside of his cage, (before i will go out i will take him to the garden to do his business yet he wont just walks around or lays there)

is there something im doing wrong because we cant seem to break this habbit, any help or advice would be greatly appriciated.

thankyou, simon.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: need help we cant seem to progress   need help we cant seem to progress EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 10:55 am

Wow! That's a tough dilemma! Can you or have you ever moved some of his poo from the house into the garden to the spot you want him to start using for potty? I think they smell the smells of prior poops and pees and that is where they go. Currently those smells are inside the house (no matter how hard you try to remove them, a dog can still smell them).

Funny story: Once when visiting my husband's mother and the dog was not understanding where to go when outside, my dear husband whips his out and pees right there in her yard! He said it showed the dog where to go ~ lol.

I have seen a product at pet stores that you squirt on your lawn to leave a scent and teach the puppy where to go potty. I have not tried it.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: need help we cant seem to progress   need help we cant seem to progress EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 1:57 pm

First question, are you crate training? Crates can help tremendously for some with potty training. You mentioned he messes in his cage, what size cage are you talking about and what "mess" exactly does he do in there?

Second, I think you need to be taking your pup out more often than you do. Every 2-3 hours is not good enough, when potty training I would be taking the dog out every hour or more until you start seeing results. Don't be suprised to spend 20-30 minutes of every hour outside hoping for potty from your pup. You wanted a pup and it comes with the territory.

Third, when the dog is inside is he within your eyesight at all times so that you can catch him in the act or pick up on the signals that he needs to eliminate? If not then I would highly recommend either crating or tethering him to you so that you can keep a constant eye on him.

Lastly, for now, how confident/comfortable is your pup outside?

Newborn
Newborn
LombardoCC1

PostSubject: Re: need help we cant seem to progress   need help we cant seem to progress EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 5:17 pm

i would suggest some puppy training pads, and regarding your carpeted areas, i would get puppy crates until he is fully potty trained.
Back to top Go down
friesianet
Puppy
Puppy
friesianet

Female Join date : 2011-02-24

PostSubject: Re: need help we cant seem to progress   need help we cant seem to progress EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 7:42 pm

Some things that helped--we adopted our husky from the pound at 16 weeks or so and she was a stray/lived in a kennel, so she didn't care if she went in her crate or the house.

--She had a full sized crate already, so we partitioned off the back of the crate so she HAD to lay where she eliminated. Helped discourage her

--is your pup healthy? We ended up with 2 major intestinal issues that caused what should have been her "normal" ability to regulate herself and because of her diarrhea she was a mess and didn't seem to care if she went in her crate and then layed in it. Crying or Very sad

--associate a word with going when he "goes" and then immediately treat/praise and say "Good ________" <insert "go" word here>

--TETHER. I hated it. It was a real PITA. We still have to not really let Nut out of our view and have to crate her if neither Joe or I can watch her. For us it's less about accidents in the house and more about what did the dog steal and eat now?! It really helped though.

--We graduated from tethering to restricting her space and cordoning off doorways etc when we're in the living room

--the stuff that you spray: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4075961 I haven't used it but heard good things.
Back to top Go down
friesianet
Puppy
Puppy
friesianet

Female Join date : 2011-02-24

PostSubject: Re: need help we cant seem to progress   need help we cant seem to progress EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 7:45 pm

Oh, and feed him in his crate. He's less likely to "go" where he eats.

For us, it's still a work in progress. Nut gets separation anxiety during the work week so Mondays are tough. She still tends to go in her crate at least 1-2x a week, but uses a bone, her feed bowl etc to hide it. Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: need help we cant seem to progress   need help we cant seem to progress Empty

Back to top Go down

need help we cant seem to progress

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1