It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19
AuthorMessage
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

The Desert Pack - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 19 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 12:09 pm

My home area is a bit like that. City people flocking in for the cheap taxes. Then they immediately want to implement city rules that would make our taxes go up and completely negate why they said they wanted to move there. It's sad and I hate it.

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 19 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 2:38 pm

I've seen a few try to drill wells ... with a water table at over 1,000 feet that gets expensive.  Saw one newbie watering his lawn!!  What these idiots don't realize is they can't use water like they do in the city - most of us don't have wells, we use water catchment and in the drought that's been rough on us.  My tanks are full and I have enough to carry me for a couple of years - literally - but a 1000 gal tank might last 3-4 months or less the way they're trying to use it.  ( I have 6 1,500 gal tanks - about 9000 gallons )

They paid stupid prices for their 5 / 10 / 20 acre tract (land should go for $500-750 an acre) and there's no way that they're going to get their $7,500 per 5 acre tact back out of it!  I just saw one place offered through an agent for $1,000,000 for 40 acres - 40 bare acres!!!!!  Oh we have a great view, but you can't take a bath in or drink a view!

Thankfully we do have some county / state rules in place.  We're an international Dark Sky area (yeh, you should see the Milky Way from here!!) so the newbies can't just go sticking their sodium lights up to light up the desert.  I knew it wasn't going to be the city (THANK GOD!!!) when I moved out here and I have no interest in making a city out of it and wish that those who want city would just go back to the city!

(( Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now... ))

I saw this so I stole it, please don't report me but this is what it looks like:

The Desert Pack - Page 19 Starga10

We have stars like you wouldn't believe!!!!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 19 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 10:19 pm

We're not as remote as you, Al, but definitely rural. County has 17000 people, our town, only about 300. We have our own septic system and well, hire someone to pick up trash weekly (or drive it to the"dump." AKA transfer station. Or a parking lot where someone else drives it to a transfer station.

I still laugh - my older son prefers an urban/suburban environment. He does this spiel for checklist on house buying : where does the water come from? Oh, it comes in from the road? Cool. And where does it go? Oh back to the road? Good. And trash? Put it out by the road? And it's gone? Cool!

The irony of it all? When he bought his house in the Boston suburbs? Yup. Well. Septic.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 19 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 11:12 pm

We had to make another trip up Christmas mountain so I took my Lumix Camera up with me and got some better pictures.
I added the first one just because. It's a massive piece of hanging rock ... and if you follow the road off the right side of the picture you'll see that it switches back to come right under this mass.
The Desert Pack - Page 19 P1000110

These next two are similar to the ones I removed from the previous post, just much better pictures.
The Desert Pack - Page 19 P1000111

The Desert Pack - Page 19 P1000112

And ... the repeater still isn't working. Before it wasn't working right, now it just isn't working! So that means another trip up there.

Corey Ford
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 19 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2021 10:03 pm

Sky is about to drive me nuts - or drive herself into living in her crate. Over the last few months that Sasha was here, she'd piddle in the kitchen overnight, I'm guessing she just couldn't hold it. It was easy enough to grab a mop when I got up - but that's pressed board and it's in need of being replaced. (( I should note that the woman who lived here before I bought it had dogs and her son said that it wasn't uncommon for them to mess in the kitchen ... ))

Sky, on the other hand will go out, mark everything in sight and then come in and piddle in the kitchen - damn, girl, you were just out, what's this??!!?? She hasn't done it when I'm around the kitchen - sneaky little B!!
I've mopped with vinegar but that doesn't stop her, I guess she holds her nose .... argh!!!!

Corey Ford
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 19 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2021 2:27 am

Have you tried nature's miracle? Really does work.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 19 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2021 9:05 pm

I've got a few problems with the kitchen floor.  First, it's been a porta-potty for more than one dog (and more than my dogs if I've been told right)  It's particle board (pressed board) so having gotten wet repeatedly it's beginning <???> to deteriorate.  Someone put down linoleum and someone else took it apart (neither someone being me!) so any water get through the scraps and onto the particle board.  I've left the back door open for air flow which results in condensation on the floor - doesn't help the water problem!

*I* have no idea how that floor is attached to what under the trailer, so don't just want to rip it up and find that there aren't any reasonable crosspieces to which I can tie new flooring.   There's a flooring company up in Alpine and I've been tempted to stop and talk to them but from what I see they do, mostly, carpet, lamination and linoleum - not sure about "whole floor" replacement.

Nature's miracle - any idea how that would work on particle board???

Corey Ford
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 19 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2021 2:01 pm

Off topic ('course a lot of my chatter is off topic)
Since the doctor doesn't seem to think there's any reason for me to be hiring a chauffeur for the hearse any time soon, I've been looking at things I need to do to this trailer beside the kitchen floor.

Since I like to leave the doors open for cross ventilation and don't have a screen for the front patio door I figured I'd look and see what was available - and got blown away!  Now if I had the frame, I could replace the screen to less than $25.00 but since I have to replace the frame as well even a kit is gonna run me around $125.  $125 for 4 pieces of aluminum plus corner pieces plus the rollers.  They's mighty proud of that frame!!

Corey Ford
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 19 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2021 8:43 pm

So i have used this on particle board. Followed by the no more marking line. Splinter no longer pees on the dryer but it did stain the wood. I didn't care because the wood was already discolored. And sorry ahead of time for even responding, i may be the only one here that has used natures miracle on unsealed wood.

The Desert Pack - Page 19 20211010
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 19 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2021 9:44 pm

Not a problem, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I didn't want to find that the enzymatic action went into the wood and destroyed what integrity it has left.

Corey Ford
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 19 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2021 9:59 am

We have habitat for humanity resale shops dotted around and sometimes you can find old screen doors there for super cheap. Used to you could put out a feeler to any nearby construction/window companies and nab tear outs from them but not sure they do that anymore with the price they can get for scrap. May have to look at the magnetic screen doors for the interim.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 19 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2021 10:11 am

The habitat for humanity re-store is a great place. Some are better then others. We also have a good will thats specifically used building supplies. Ok its all relative that the re-store is 50 miles one way or 120 one way to the really good one or 102 miles to the good will. Weird place to look but have you checked ebay?

I would probably build a screen door with wood. But in dry hot weather it can bow so not such a permanent idea. I have been trying to get my sliding door replaced because its held together with gorilla glue so my diy stuff may be a little too primitive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 19 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 19 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19