It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

The Desert Pack - Page 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 30 EmptyThu Dec 29, 2022 5:20 pm

aljones wrote:

Tried to get his collar off so I could 'expand' it a bit and found that it had gradually worked its way so that it was already at its limit.  Before I brought him home I bought another larger collar (and matching leash) but couldn't find the collar and gave that up as a lost cause - he either ate it or stashed it under something so he could eat it later ... finally found it, on the counter where I left it and of course that was the last place I looked.

lol! I'm still looking for the spare incan of S&B Oriental curry powder that I'm sure I saw in the back of the pantry closet. Husband says - but another one and put it away, that when you will find the other can🙄
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 30 EmptyThu Dec 29, 2022 8:22 pm

Not too much to ask of a puppy. Spider had sit, down, heel and dont chase the horse down by that age. But she had also developed a what do i get out of it attitude.

Im glad its been our nice normal cold. Denver got nailed again. And i get texas issues with heat but seriously why did all those new yorkers who should have known better go out and freeze to death?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 30 EmptyFri Dec 30, 2022 2:16 pm

A few were making last minute quick runs to the store before the storm was at its height - at least two were recent transplants from warmer climates, one African man trying to get milk for his pregnant wife due next week and the second from north Carolina coming home from work. Some were people with medical emergencies who died in their homes because EMS couldn't get to them. A few heart attacks shoveling snow. One man, who survived with his kids in his car, was a single parent who couldn't afford to pay a sitter overnight for 4 kids so picked them up to take them home. Then there are the homeless...

Stories are heartbreaking. And many are humbling and fill the great with goodness - like the man who got a call from a friend stuck in the snow, EMS couldn't get to home so he went. He got stuck, knocked on 10 houses asking for shelter and all turned him away. In the meantime, he came across 2 other people stranded, have them shelter in his truck. When the truck tran out of gas, he realized realized he was near a school and broke into that for heat, bathrooms and food. He ended up saving almost a dozen people bringing them into the school.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 30 EmptyFri Dec 30, 2022 10:38 pm

When the front range got hit there were several deaths related to the power outages but you saw parties snd bonfires in the interstate. And im not 100% sure in my particular case what is worse. I have a fire pit rock area and if we lose power and heat i can start a bonfire. Still not sure if bonfire is better then inside with no heat and getting the extra blankets out.

And yeah if it was risk a break in charge or freeze, id break into a school or hunting cabin or vacation home
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 30 EmptySat Dec 31, 2022 3:24 pm

I wrote a note in the local Terlingua group about the hazards of weather in the northcountry.  It's a yearly event that we'd lose at least one house to a 'chimney fire' that turned into a house fire.  My uncle was the fire chief of the small volunteer fire department and was always cussing the folks who waited till late fall to fire up the stoves full blast and burn themselves out.
'Course the summer fires were okay by us kids, we'd get earn a few dollars "mopping up" the hot spots with an Indian Pack full of water. (( Wait, can I say 'Indian' pack now?? )) 
There were the bad days of heavy lake effect snow that'd come through and eventually a snow plow would find a car that'd gone off the road, buried in a snow bank, that didn't get found until the thaw.  Or if someone knew they were traveling, they were able to follow the road looking for the 'odd bumps' where a car was.

I was really pleasantly surprised that our EMS didn't get called out for any cases of frostbite or worse (but then we haven't had anyone searching the desert for migrants who got lost) nor did we have the fire dept called out - a real surprise considering the temperature and the things folks down here will do to keep warm.  (( BBQ grill in the house is a real dumb move but folks will leave a window cracked and stoke the grill ... ))

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 30 EmptyWed Jan 04, 2023 12:30 am

Lets see i have seen diy wood stove made out of cambells soup can in an rv that melted the first time it was used. Family was fine rv was total loss. Ive seen people put the outdoor fire pits under a
stove range hood in a living room. Lots of wood stoves that started as steel barrels. Sometimes just steel barrels. For us after 25 hours of no heat last winter i burned brush and some old pines and aspens in my driveway.

And lots of house fires
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 30 EmptyWed Jan 04, 2023 5:09 pm

We've had a couple house fires lately that have killed a few people. Not sure started from anything dumb per se but smoke detectors in the houses didn't work which is what ultimately got the folks killed. Strange design I've noticed for houses in our area is that most only have one detector in the hall and that's it for the whole house. When we lived at the lake normal design was two, one at end of hall and one near kitchen area, though not directly in kitchen since that's a recipe for ending up with people popping the batteries out of them when cooking. We added detectors in our dining room near kitchen and out in the garage when we moved in.

I have a large inverter. If the power goes out for extended period I can run a radiant electric heater off my battery bank I have on the greenhouse and cycle out our car batteries if need be. It won't run anything else but we shouldn't freeze. I guess the new truck could be plugged into to run heaters too. I don't think about it but that's like standard issue setup on the new ford trucks.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 30 EmptySun Jan 08, 2023 10:11 pm

Silly puppy! I had a steak for dinner and tend to cut off the grisly edge to 'serve' to the dogs later. I gave A the biggest chunk (since, at the moment, he's the biggest dog Smile) gave Sky and Zeus a couple of the smaller chunks, gave A another one and then decided that since Sky had been hanging back I'd give the last three - four pieces to her.

Held the plate down for her and Avalanche reaches in, grabs the plate and heads to the other side of the room. What he "forgot" was that when you jerk a plate away all the contents pretty much drop. So he had a plate with lots of flavor and Sky and Zeus got the leftovers.

Some times I just have to laugh --- even though Avalanche really does know better than to grab something from me.

Corey Ford
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 30 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2023 12:02 pm

I've never really been one to let them have anything from a plate. If they get any level of leftovers it goes in their bowl at the next feeding. Kye does like that aspect of kenzi being diabetic since she can't have fat chunks anymore.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 30 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2023 3:26 pm

With me it really depends. I use paper plates to conserve our precious water (and because I'm just lazy.) If it's something that sloppy it goes in their bowls; if it's something that I'm aiming to give to just one of the monsters, I tend to let them eat from my plate since I can, generally, make sure the one I'm intending to get it does.

My grandmother (and my aunt) would have a fit when their husbands put their plates on the floor for the dogs. Their responses were invariably "You're going to let them have it anyway and anyway, it makes washing the plates that much easier."

I'm finding I'm having to watch the youngest monster, he's gotten to the point that he can almost reach the counter top. Doesn't mean that he won't swipe something off if I've left it near the edge and am not there to watch it. That's gonna stop SOON!

I've always been able to leave things and not worry about them. Avalanche and Sky have not surfed (at least not more than once!) My last lab ... well, I had a friend over; broiled a couple of steaks and set them on the coffee table when I went back into the kitchen. "Aren't you concerned she'll take them?" Not in the least. When we went back to the living room, Kalah was setting about 6-8 feet away ... looking at them but I don't think it would have crossed her mind that she could have them. Takes time and some effort but it's worth it in the long run ... for all of us. And of course she got the scraps.

Corey Ford
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 30 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2023 3:39 pm

We let the dogs lick the plates. And the pots and pans. If there's any amount of fat, I wipe most of it up with paper towel before giving the dishes to them. They then clean my pans through and it keeps crap out of my septic system. Down side is I feel compelled to always use the sani cycle on my dishwasher which, now that our old, super cheap electric contract has ended is gonna cost. I am not liking what our new rates are looking like but when I see that son number one is paying .28 KwH and CT and and ME of about the same, ours doesn't seem quite so bad now. But I'm a lot more stingy with the electric baseboard these days.

Maybe having Archer for the end of the week. He is my counter surfer. Butter it's his specialty🙄
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 30 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2023 11:33 pm

Must be a desert thing. We use paper plates and so do alot of people here, all about the water conservation. Spider is a horrible counter surfer.

And mine get random things by hand but not off plates or out of the pots and pans. One of two things happens. One there is a dog argument or two someone walkes away with said plate/pan and it is retrieved with teeth marks in in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 30 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 30 of 30Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30