It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 34 ... 38  Next
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

The Desert Pack - Page 31 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptySun Feb 05, 2023 2:58 pm

Puppies. 🙄. Gotta love 'em. We have the 6 yr old granddaughter for the weekend. Not sure there's a lot of difference between puppies and granddaughters...

44⁰. Sunshine. Yippee 🌞🌞🌞
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptySun Feb 05, 2023 2:59 pm

Oh. Except you can crate a puppy... People frown on crating grandchildren lol!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptySun Feb 05, 2023 6:41 pm

I changed my last post with an addition but didn't see your responses beforehand ... why can't you crate kids?  Isn't that what those "play pens" really are?

Into the 70's here today and we'll be pushing 80° tomorrow ... gotta see if I can get Chuck to come over and get under the trailer to check for leaks while I fix one I know about.  Texas is a great place to live ... if you can put up with the weather!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2023 11:35 am

May hit 60s today. We were high 50s yesterday, though wind today, yesterday we didn't really have wind and it was gorgeous. I might actually get the open the sunroof on the truck on the drive home today. It's going to take a bit to acclimate back from being the 20s for so long. Not sure I could handle the 70s just yet. While the groundhog may say 6 more weeks of winter I'm thinking it's not going to be such. The robins were back in packs yesterday and my bluebirds are selecting nesting spots. Garden season is nigh.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2023 9:35 pm

First vet visit today for Zeus ... that little <??> idiot weighs in at 50 pounds (well actually 49.? 50 is close enough!)
My vets comment was 'He's gonna be a big dog!'

He travels well.  Was looking around as we went north, barked at a few things he didn't recognize - with his mouth right beside my head of course.  
He's now chipped, that went surprisingly well.
Headed over to the vet to get rabies shot and 'shots'.  It was funny, when the tech walking into the room Zeus was setting beside me, I handed her his leash so she could go get vitals and he wasn't having any of it!  Finally had to walk him to the door and then he went with her.  When Zach came in to give shots, Zeus was reluctant but a couple of strokes and petting behind the ears then Zeus was okay but still retreated to my side when given the chance.
A girl brought in a pit bull while I was checking in and they got into a barking match ... and Zeus has an almost adult bark (car ride / ears, yeh!)  I finally got asked to take him into the room to wait.

First times with a new(ish) animal are always interesting.  Oh, he slept most of the way home ... I'd say the experience wore the poor baby out ... but now he's out irritating Avalanche!

We were over 80 yesterday, high for today looks like it topped out at 65 ... blithering' yoyo!!

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptyWed Feb 08, 2023 2:53 am

Hmmm. Occurred to me as i was reading about your very trip, Zeus is a puppy and may need some deliberate, extra socialization given you're somewhat isolated. That would be a hurdle for us with both of us being somewhat a pair of curmudgeons. Want an issue with your other two- you got them as adults, right?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptyWed Feb 08, 2023 11:31 am

I've taken him down to the crisis center a couple of times, others bring their dogs with them so on a busy day (commodities distribution, etc) there may be 3-4-5 other dogs around and he's played with a few - rough play but play (he's as bad as a Husky for rough) Now that he's had his full set of shots (again) I'll take him out more. But I've got to make sure that the other two get time, too, and that gets interesting.

We have a fellow down here who let's his dogs run loose and another got run over. The bad part is that the fellow who ran him down is our UPS driver who has an uncle of Zeus and is great with the dogs around. The dog just ran into the road and he couldn't stop. Okay, it's a local joke that he drive pretty fast considering the condition of our roads. I saw him go by here Monday and he was going slow (for him) I presume it was because he knows Zeus is loose.
I feel sorry for the fellow whose dog it was but his opinion that it's wide open county and dogs should be able to run wherever they want is just going to get more dogs killed ... I feel much more sorry for Manny (UPS driver.) He's got a lot of packages to deliver and does a great job of that, when dogs appear out of the brush almost anywhere, IMHO, it's the responsibility of the owner to make sure they're safe.
On that note, Zeus doesn't go into the road here (he has one time that I know of but he was running with a loose Sky) and when he looks like he's heading that way he gets called back. So far, so good!

Both adults ... well they were both about a year when I got them. Avalanche is quite the sociable body, well, I'd call him a flirt when it comes to other dogs. Sky is much more the recluse, she never has played much - even with Avalanche; she will play with Zeus sometimes but she normally puts a stop to his antics.

The incident at the vets seemed to be more of an "I can bark louder than you can!" because neither were trying too hard to get loose. They did cause a holy ruckus though, not only were they barking, they started every other dog in the place going!

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptyWed Feb 08, 2023 3:09 pm

I'm laughing at the thought of all those dogs letting loose in a barrel great at the vets lol!

I absolutely believe the onus is on the owner to keep dogs safe from traffic. We don't get much but when we do, it's fast. People routinely go 50-70 mph on our lumpy, phone filled dirt roads. Absolutely no police patrols out get unless you call for a specific reason (which usually means someone hit a deer🙄). Which is number one reason we have invisible fence style containment. And their collars are set to significant correction. At least 2, maybe 3 dogs killed on the road just to the north of us. Enrages me that the owners do nothing to keep dogs contained. Thankfully, both families have moved (though one just left l one of their dogs to fend for itself. That really sweet me of when I heard about it. Fortunately, the neighbor across the road caught him and brought him to the shelter.)

Does sounds like you have your hands full, I'll say that. Better busy than bored 😜
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2023 7:54 pm

You know, I'm getting used to finding everything on my property on the front porch ... rocks, sticks, charcoal, small trees! But I let Avalanche and Zeus out this morning and found a small skeletal backbone ... maybe one of the cats I've buried out back? I have no idea.

It wasn't uncommon for Misty (my first Husky) to bring back all sort of skeletal remains, mostly bovine, I think ... sheesh!!!

I have an alert collar (shock collar) coming in tomorrow ... as long as he stays away from the road I'm fine with letting him run but once in the road is one time too many! I'm going to have to see if I can figure out how to use it to teach him 'Stay' ... that one's not working too well.

At the moment, "bored" is definitely not in my vocabulary ...

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptySun Feb 12, 2023 8:22 pm

Well, the collar came in Friday and a few attempts with the Tone got nothing. The vibrate got his attention and broke his 'concentration' on irritating Sky. I haven't used the shock but I have it set low (25 out of 100)
I don't leave it on him but I'll put it on him before we go walkies today and see if it helps stop him from attacking her. On the other hand Sky and Zeus have been having a great play time on my couch so if she doesn't object I'm not going to be a spoil sport.

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2023 10:22 pm

It's been a day and as the sun has set, I'm glad that it's over!

The wind's been blowing 90 to nuffin' all day long!  Dogs dinna want to go out and when they did go out they were back in quick ... don't know if they wanted in or if the wind just blew them in.

Chow time this evening and Sky does her normal "Nibble a bit, leave it and then come back for more." Dog fight on my porch when Avalanche decided he wanted to try what she'd left.

Zeus was playing with Avalanche and Av had had enough so he started to back up, his chain was wrapped around Z's leg and it sounded like he (er Zeus) was getting killed ...  I got them apart and unwrapped but Z kept looking back At Av with a "I ain't gonna play wif you no more!" which lasted about 15 minutes ...

I love my pups but damn man!!!!

A beautiful 80 today ... projected high tomorrow is 60 ... I am so tired of the yoyo weather!

ETA: (11:00 on Thursday) Ah, great, it's a balmy, cloudy, windy 44° ... don't think we're going to make our 60 today. Why do I hate yoyo weather???

Last edited by aljones on Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2023 12:17 pm

We've had a great run of beautiful weather communicating in 68⁰ yesterday. With sunshine🥰 I wanted to do some brush work up in the garden but the winds were 25 gusting to 40 and there's too many tall trees, some dead and all in very soft wet soil. Didn't want to play dodge 'em with falling branches or worse, whole trees coming down. So I vacuumed inside instead. Much less satisfying.

And, sorry to say, our heat wave is coming to an end. A very brief overnight tomorrow down to 17⁰, the rest of the week a bit warmer but low 40s rare, mostly mid 30s. Nice for February but a bit of a jolt after this lovely stretch of late spring we've had. Hopefully my peach trees haven't been bud yet. Lost all my bees. Replacing even some of them will be an ouch in the pocketbook. But at least now I can move that hive that was "temporarily" in the middle of my garden! That means I can now get hubby to cut down the huge hickory that is shading most of the garden at this point! Frankly, at this point, in ready to cut down every hockey tree within 1000' thanks to the damn squirrels in the attic. And to think we planted them all 35 we years ago. What were we thinking?!!?

Hope Zeus's leg didn't get injured. And Avalanche? May the force be with him while that youngster learns his manners!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2023 2:18 pm

Now this is no fair! I amended my previous post because no one had replied to it so you reply while I'm making changes ... this world is nuts!

He limped a bit as he was walking away, glaring at Avalanche but 15 minutes later he was not feeling any pain. His young bones may be more flexible than when he gets older but I'm still concerned when he tries to bend it to a 45 degree angle.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2023 3:54 pm

Is be more worried about severing a tendon or lament with a chain wrapped around the leg. But clearly he didn't since he's still ambulatory.

Our temp is currently 44⁰, supposedly gonna hit 52⁰ but it's cloudy so I'll believe it when I see it. Temp will plummet tomorrow through the day with a winter mess of rain, freezing rain, sleet and snow. And the requisite winds when temps drop 35⁰ in 24 hours🙄

Ami hates wind so he'll be inside mostly, I imagine.

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2023 5:29 am

We're on the up side of our yoyo, supposed to hit 80° today. Only got up to a chilly 70 yesterday (chilly because of a gusty breeze.) Maybe with luck we'll start to see some of our more normal temps ... sure would be nice!

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2023 11:20 pm

Send it this way. I am quite sick of blizzards and whiteouts and it not going above 20 with 80mph wind gusts and 60mph sustained winds.

Glad everyone is fine
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2023 5:30 pm

I don't know who turned it on, but I wish that whoever did would turn the blasted fan off!!  Our local Weather Service (a Wunderground Station) says the winds are gusting to 20 mph ... funny thing, the dogs don't want to stay out and I went out with Sky a while back and she stayed out for all of 2 minutes before she wanted back in.  I went around the corner of the trailer and got blown back a couple of feet before I got my balance.

Just hope my water catchment roof stays put ....

When you read the books about the history of the plains and the southwest there's always a story or four or five about the women who committed suicide because they couldn't put up with the days of nothing but wind.  We didn't even get our normal night break - from 2300 till about 0500 when the winds normally die down ... they didn't.

Silly puppy is out front chasing stuff blowing across in front of the house.  Everything from leaves to tumbleweeds (though they don't look like the 'classic' tumbleweed ...)

Our temp yesterday was in the low 80's; we got up to 85 by about 1100 and then it took a nosedive.  By 2:30 we were in the 60's and it's now 48 at 8:00 PM.  Have I mentioned out yo-yo weather before ... by the gods, I get tired of it!!!!

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptyFri Mar 03, 2023 8:19 am

I will have to use that term if you dont mind. Description fits here just as well. Yo yo weather. I love it. Spring we have wild temp fluctuations. But still nothing beat Alamosa setting both a cold and heat record on the same day last year. Never heard of wind driving people to suicide. Ive heard of it disorienting people and getting them lost. This was a dustbowl area and it looks like year 2 of the mini dust bowl.

Really trying to figure out how to keep my greenhouse up with the crazy wind. My dogs mostly hate the wind but it does make for lots of moving things for splinter to bark at. Also every once in a while it will howl through the canyon and spider and squirt will howl along with the wind. Its very cute.

So you have about another year till Zeus becomes a good dog. Soinds like he is going through the stupid teenage phase that lasts about a year with a gsd. Speaking of shepherds, we broke lyla of counter surfing using moustraps under things loke towles and sheets. Did have to pull them off her toe a few times and her nose twice but it cured the getting into everything.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptyMon Mar 06, 2023 10:55 am

We had 60 mph straight line winds the other night followed by a day with 40-50 mph gusts. My husband works for the electric co-op and they had 35 broken poles during the ordeal. Not as bad as many. We swap our poles out more often than some other co-ops. Spring is on its way though. Trees have hints of leaves on them.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptyMon Mar 06, 2023 11:46 am

For the moment our winds have stopped! It was a beautiful day out yesterday and looks like today is going to just as gorgeous.
So far my fig has buds swelling ... but that's the only thing that, so far, looks like it's alive. I'm hoping that the combination of cold and lack of water (the pump was basically inop for 2 months) didn't flat out kill them. The strawberries came back last year after getting snowed on and frozen - which I didn't expect - but so far this year, nada.
Our weatherman's predictions are really bad. The lows have consistently been 5° or so cooler than predicted ... supposed to be 55 overnight last night but got down to 48. On the other hand, his highs are likewise coming in at 5° or so low, but that's okay ... I'll take the mid 80's predicted for today.
I see a line of lows going past north of us and hope they don't decide to drop in for a visit!

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptyMon Mar 06, 2023 1:22 pm

Our wind stopped for a few hours yesterday and it hit 43. It was a nice day. Today the wind is already going. Thursday calling for snow though how much depends on what way it goes when it hits del norte peak. One forcast is for 3 to 5 inches, one is less then an inch and one is over 2 feet.

Got any tips for what im going to call a mystery hotel stay next week with spider? And i call it a mystery because we went through va travel lodging so no clue, could be aurora, could be near the airport and could be downtown.

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptySat Mar 11, 2023 7:55 pm

Well, I'm not sure what happened.  I heard Avalanche laying in to Zeus yesterday evening - maybe louder than normal but things were quiet when I went out...  Then this morning, Avalanche is limping on a front foot and has told Zeus to leave him alone more than a couple of times.  I'm thinking my old guy is hurting.  We went out and he walked down the ramp, looked at the stairs and I could almost see a "I don't think so ..." normally he takes the steps in two jumps so to not use them tells me he's hurting.

I'll wait to see if it's a sprain / pull / ???  I still have some galiprant and gabapentin, both are pain killers and gabapentin is supposed to take effect quickly ... if he's still limping this much tomorrow we'll do one and see if it helps.

'Course keeping the monster under control might do more ....

ETA:  Things are a lot better this AM, he still has a limp but nowhere near as bad as it was yesterday afternoon.  It's obvious he's not feeling too well and when the little monster comes over to play that lasts all of about 1/2 second and Avalanche is telling him to go ... somewhere!

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 2:40 am

We still run into that sometimes and mine are 8 and 10. Spider has really hurt shadow and i dont think it was intentional but it was one of the few times shadow has really stood up to spider other then when she was a puppy.

If it makes you feel better spider had a scar down the middle of her face from when shadow attacked her as a puppy. Shadow hates puppies. Once she grew up a little they became best friends.

Im having decent luck with gabapentin/carprophen combo galliprant was the next choice
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 2:37 pm

Avalanche is 12+ so it bothers me when he limps around. With the help of the monster he seems to be doing that more often. I know he has some hip dysplasia but it hasn't stopped him from getting around (he still likes to get out and run when I let him.)

Considering the weather in the northern half of the county I feel funny about saying "it's 63 here and I can't get warm!!" Really hope that @Amymeme and all are doing okay, they've had some rough stuff go through the southern tier.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 11:05 pm

Amymeme is sulking. The morning after the overnight dump of almost a foot of snow, granddaughter woke us at some ungodly hour before sunshine to tell us something was squeaking in the family room. After questioning and investigation, my third worst fear, after fire and carbon monoxide - my dog fence transmitter indicated a wire break. Now how the friggin hell am I supposed to find a wire break under an almost for of snow?!!? With another 8-12" expected from this nor'easter?!!? Though, not sure that estimate for us is valid - the center of this storm will be way out in the Gulf of Maine, east of the eastern tip of Cape Cod. We're considerably west of there, the only unknown is what direction the lake effect off of Erie and Ontario will take. Prog charts suggest it will be directly north south which should put us between the two bands.

Whatever. I've ordered 4 spools of direct burial wire with nuts and splices as replacing the whole thing seems easier than trying to trace and pull up the existing wire (tried that sand made another break 🙄) Still. Have no clue how I'm going to run that wire.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 31 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 31 of 38Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 34 ... 38  Next