It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How soon can you use the furminator????

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GumballzMama
Newborn
Newborn
GumballzMama

Female Join date : 2016-07-18

How soon can you use the furminator???? Empty
PostSubject: How soon can you use the furminator????   How soon can you use the furminator???? EmptyMon Aug 08, 2016 4:47 pm

My little one is 11wks and she is shedding like crazy!
I know that whats she's suppose to be doing but what should I be doing???
Is it time to start the furminating or wait it out?!?!? Shocked How soon can you use the furminator???? 1625187496
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/gumballthehusky/
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: How soon can you use the furminator????   How soon can you use the furminator???? EmptyMon Aug 08, 2016 5:55 pm

People either tend to Love or Hate a furminator.  Since opinions tend to be a bit extreme, I'm kinda surprised that no one has commented on this yet.  

*My* tools of choice are a metal comb and a slicker brush.  The slicker brush gets most of the surface fluff ( the undercoat that's being blown )  while the comb lets me get a little deeper to work on the tangles and the undercoat that just doesn't want to come loose (yet).

I am a little surprised that she's shedding that heavily at only 11 weeks.  While that may depend on where you are, I don't think most Huskies blow their coats until 6 months or later.   On that note, anyone, does a Husky puppy have an undercoat at that age?  If not then what is she shedding?

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
AryaGirl
Puppy
Puppy
AryaGirl

Female Join date : 2016-05-20

PostSubject: Re: How soon can you use the furminator????   How soon can you use the furminator???? EmptyMon Aug 08, 2016 6:30 pm

If you haven't bought a furminator brush yet I would look on Amazon for a generic version because I think furminators run quite expensive, imo.

This one has great reviews for large/med dogs:  https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Deshedding-Brush-Dogs-Cats/dp/B00GSEVVA0/ref=sr_1_25?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1470691498&sr=1-25-spons&keywords=double+coated+dog+brush&psc=1

I think you can start whenever you want, I just use a cheap double-sided brush from the grocery store and my girl has an excellent coat Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: How soon can you use the furminator????   How soon can you use the furminator???? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 12:41 am

I find it odd that a very young pup is shedding, I am wondering if it's loose hair and possibly from playing? Trust me when they shed you will most certainly know, and most of them shed in clumps. Regardless if she is shedding or not, please do not buy a furminator, it does terrible things to a husky coat, I have a rake for Miya, and her short hair it works great, and for Sofie who has a double coat also, and btw, she will be a year old on the 10th and has not done any shedding as of yet, I use the double sided brush, so a brush on one side and I think a kind of rake on the other, similar to this got it at the grocery store for like $4.99 http://www.petsupplies4less.com/Andis-Premium-2-Sided-Brush_p_4952.html?preselopt=13188&gclid=CN2nv720s84CFY4AaQod1LYM4g that is what I recommend. Good luck, even if she isn't really blowing coat, brushing now will make it easier on you when she is older, at first puppies do not like it, but as they get used to it, they end up loving it, feels good to them. Smile
Back to top Go down
TigerCzarina
Teenager
Teenager
TigerCzarina

Female Join date : 2015-09-11

PostSubject: Re: How soon can you use the furminator????   How soon can you use the furminator???? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 12:51 am

We use the furminator on our adult dog, and she does just fine with it. Our pup isn't shedding much yet (almost 6 months) but as long as he reacts well to it well use it on him too (he just barely sheds yet). We've tried the slicker brushes and whatnot but Mia gets scared of them. The furminator is nothing to her for some reason. Granted, Mias scared of lots of things so I take it with a grain of salt...

That being said if you do decide to use a furminator, make sure you use it correctly-a lot of people just go to town and can ruin their dogs skin and coat. Go gently thru the fur, don't rake it they with abandon, etc. (I think there's a thread somewhere on here I read when I first joined that discussed the pros and cons of the furminator.)

I agree with Al though, that seems odd your pup is shedding THAT much at such a young age... Our vet said they shouldn't even have a full coat until they're 6-8 months old at the earliest. Id venture a guess maybe it's the food she's eating? Mia came to us with a thin scraggly coat on a poor diet, but once we got her on a steady diet she thickened up. That's just my guess.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: How soon can you use the furminator????   How soon can you use the furminator???? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 11:25 am

Often if you are moving from a low quality food to a higher quality food your dog will shed excessively to get rid of the malnourished fur. When I got my boy he had been on the cheapest food available and I moved him to a high quality. He went nearly bald for a bit and the fur he put back on was super healthy. A far cry from the straw for fur he showed up with.

Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: How soon can you use the furminator????   How soon can you use the furminator???? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 5:37 pm

I do not, and will not ever recommend a stripping blade (aka Furminator) for a double coated breed. I agree with the above, it is odd to have such a young pup shedding unless there is a dietary change (significant change) or health problem. Typically you won't see a true coat blow until closer to 1 year of age-

How soon can you use the furminator???? 5587_410
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Kae
Newborn
Newborn
Kae

Female Join date : 2016-07-04

PostSubject: Re: How soon can you use the furminator????   How soon can you use the furminator???? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 8:58 pm

I bought "The Desheddinator " and use it daily on Jehra (10 weeks). She's too young to be blowing her coat but we can already see undercoat hairs piling up on the living room furniture and we can see them falling off when we pet her.
I probably don't need to use the device every day but I want her to get used to it so that's why I started early. She doesn't whine or anything so I don't think it hurts her, all she wants to do is play with it. I bought the biggest one (too big for her, medium would've been fine) just because I know she's growing quickly. Here's the link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L70C5KA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: How soon can you use the furminator????   How soon can you use the furminator???? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2016 11:21 am

Skip the furminator and get a good undercoat rake and comb. It will take out the loose, dead coat but leave the guard hairs alone, and will help prevent any matts from building.

I swear by this rake and this comb.
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: How soon can you use the furminator????   How soon can you use the furminator???? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2016 12:29 pm

Never.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: How soon can you use the furminator????   How soon can you use the furminator???? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2016 1:26 pm

Deonna, remember back in my first response to your message where I said "People either tend to Love or Hate a furminator. Since opinions tend to be a bit extreme."

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Kae
Newborn
Newborn
Kae

Female Join date : 2016-07-04

PostSubject: Re: How soon can you use the furminator????   How soon can you use the furminator???? EmptyFri Aug 12, 2016 9:44 am

Interesting info, I'm gonna buy what AnyaLuv mentioned but I'll wait till my pup actually starts shedding
Back to top Go down
Gina R
Newborn
Newborn
Gina R

Female Join date : 2015-03-25

PostSubject: Re: How soon can you use the furminator????   How soon can you use the furminator???? EmptySun Apr 23, 2017 9:42 am

I'm just going to chime in and encourage you to got the rake/comb route -- especially on a puppy! I tried a furminator before I read the negative comments, and I agree that it isn't the best for a husky -- or any dog, as it is harsh and can do damage. In terms of getting rid of excess hair, the rake does a much better job anyway. I also love those rubber brushes like the Kong Zoom Groom,

https://www.amazon.com/KONG-ZoomGroom-Grooming-Brush-Raspberry/dp/B0002AR1A0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1492951096&sr=8-8&keywords=dog+grooming+supplies+brush

its a gentle way to start grooming your pup. And never, ever use a pin brush, which I've been told can damage your dog's skin.
Back to top Go down
FURgirl
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2017-03-22

PostSubject: Re: How soon can you use the furminator????   How soon can you use the furminator???? EmptyTue Apr 25, 2017 12:51 pm

Hi Gina,

I definitely agree a good undercoat rake is the better way to go rather than the furminator. We use the Paws Pamper Undercoat Rake at our spa and clients love the results. It has rounded ends so the dogs don't get bothered by it either and it doesn't cut the coat all up. For a puppy, the zoom groom may be ok in some areas but will definitely need something better for those thick areas like the butt, back legs and neck :-)

Hey, what part of VA are you in? I am from Richmond, Va but have been living in Costa Rica for a little over a year now :-)
Back to top Go down
VTHokieHusky
Puppy
Puppy
VTHokieHusky

Male Join date : 2017-01-06

PostSubject: Re: How soon can you use the furminator????   How soon can you use the furminator???? EmptyThu Apr 27, 2017 4:47 pm

Yikes, I guess I need to put away the furminator and get some new tools, I had no idea.
Back to top Go down
Gina R
Newborn
Newborn
Gina R

Female Join date : 2015-03-25

PostSubject: Re: How soon can you use the furminator????   How soon can you use the furminator???? EmptyFri Apr 28, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi back to FURgirl -- I'm in northern va, Warrenton, about 1 1/2 hours from Richmond. I also have a brush similar to the zoom groom in that it is rubber and fits in your palm, but it is very flexible and has more "bristles" and they are much tinier and pointier. It's a great quick all-over tool. The grooming does get overwhelming sometimes, luckily my girl absolutely loves to be brushed and she will stretch, roll and contort into crazy positions to let me get every little spot!
Back to top Go down
Vanessa
Newborn
Newborn
Vanessa

Female Join date : 2017-10-17

PostSubject: Re: How soon can you use the furminator????   How soon can you use the furminator???? EmptyThu Nov 16, 2017 5:08 pm

VTHokieHusky wrote:
Yikes, I guess I need to put away the furminator and get some new tools, I had no idea.

I think I'll do the same! Normally I go to Petco to have them bathed and brushed but with the furminator and I bought one because teh bulldog absolutely loves it when shedding, unfortunately the links for most of the brushes don't ship to Mexico Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How soon can you use the furminator????   How soon can you use the furminator???? Empty

Back to top Go down

How soon can you use the furminator????

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1