It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Sensitive Stomach

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stefanie Miles
Teenager
Teenager
Stefanie Miles

Female Join date : 2015-10-06

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 10:47 am

Evidently, I have been blessed to have a dog with both sensitive skin and a sensitive stomach. Hooray.

I have tried him on several different brands, switching gradually between them. He was on Blue Buffalo to start with, but within 15 min of eating, he has *explosive* poops. All. Over. Everything. I took him to the vet, where they gave him a full work up (that cost a fortune, for the record)....nothing wrong with him what so ever. I've tried different flavors, thinking perhaps it was a particular thing...same thing. I've tried FROMM, some kind of Hill's Science Diet that the vet gave me to try (that was a disaster from the word go), and Taste of the Wild. He really likes Taste of the Wild, but still with the explosive poops. It makes it almost impossible to keep him in the house. He has stained my carpet bright orange in several places (I have cleaned the carpet four times with a steam cleaner and I still can't get two spots to give up being orange). I can't leave him inside when I take the kids to school or go anywhere. He has a crate that he goes in when I leave, but he poops out the side of it...shoots it about a foot outside of the crate. I have no idea what to do with this dog. Sad

Another problem is treats. He cannot have any treats or any bones. All of that makes the problem worse. Artemis doesn't have any of these problems and could probably eat anything on this planet without any trouble. She also doesn't have problems with her skin. Any advice?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 10:58 am

Have you tried putting him on a bland diet for a week or two and then introducing him to something a tad lower in protein? Did the vet check for any kind of colitis? Has his liver been checked? What protein bases has he been on such as chicken, beef, etc?

Teenager
Teenager
Stefanie Miles

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 11:09 am

He first started this about two weeks after I brought him home. I thought at first it was maybe just stress, because Artemis was not very nice to him at first. They get along perfectly fine now, so I ruled that out. I then thought that it was worms, so I went and had him checked for worms, even though they are on a monthly treatment for that. Nothing. Artemis eats Taste of the Wild, so I switched him from Blue Buffalo to that, but he wouldn't eat it, and when he did....poop everywhere. I took him back to the vet, and they did a slew of tests. Checked his blood, checked for a blockage, rechecked him for worms and viruses. Nothing. Perfectly healthy, except that he is underweight, but not too much. They put him on that Science Diet, and that went over like a lead balloon. So, it's just been a battle of switching gradually with no results. I tried feeding him something with just chicken and just turkey instead of a mix of meats...nope. I finally found a Taste of the Wild that he will eat, and he has actually put on a little weight, but the pooping is still going on. I mean, it is BAD and it STINKS..I can't describe it.

I had an outside kennel that I put them in, because we decided against fencing the yard until the house remodel and landscaping was finished. (But I have had to buy another one to separate him and Artemis because of the pooping.) I take them for walks and we go to the lake often, and I thought maybe he was getting something from there and eating it when I wasn't looking, but I haven't caught him in anything. He won't get in the water at the lake either, so... I just really don't know. He's very playful and energetic. He is super sweet and loving. He just explodes and itches. I have no idea.
Back to top Go down
Stefanie Miles
Teenager
Teenager
Stefanie Miles

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 11:11 am

He has another appointment coming up on the 8th at the vet, and I plan to have them check him over again, and I will ask about his liver again, but it was fine he past two times. They did not mention anything about colitis, and I will certainly ask about that.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 12:05 pm

The itching would suggest some kind of allergy, whether it's to bird like chicken or turkey, or to rice or something else that is in the foods. An allergy could definitely mess up his system too but finding what it is will most likely require an elimination diet. If he has colitis though you will need to treat that during the diet and get the inflamation out of his intestines before he can really settle into a food because everything will just irritate him.

Teenager
Teenager
Stefanie Miles

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 12:14 pm

Thank you! I have been doing some googling on it, and most things I have ran across suggest an elimination diet. I will bring that up at this upcoming vet appointment. I hope that it gets resolved, because it is a huge hassle, and I know he must not feel all that great about it either. I feel sorry for the poor little guy, but I also feel sorry for me having to clean it all up.

I have literally had to duct tape a punch of puppy pads together and surround the crate if I have to leave him in it, just in case, but that doesn't help the smell in my house if it happens. And I hate to leave him out in the kennel in the afternoons when I go get the kids, because it is about 2 degrees shy of Hell here, even though he has shade, a pool, and a dog house. Blah!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 12:27 pm

Stefanie.............which TOTW are you feeding him, how old is he, and how much are you feeding? I had similar issues with both of my girls. When you go in for tests I suggest getting specific tests done for his pancreas, severe issues of the pancreas can produce these symptoms. It does sound like it may be allergies, which really is so much easier to fix than IBS or a pancreas issue.
Back to top Go down
Stefanie Miles
Teenager
Teenager
Stefanie Miles

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 2:01 pm

I feed him the High Prairie with Bison and Venison, puppy kind. I tried giving him the kind Artemis eats, but he won't have it. It is the Wetlands one with the Roasted Fowl, and he apparently doesn't care for that. He eats about 2 cups in the morning, around 8 am. I give him two cups at dinner (around 6), but he doesn't eat it most of the time. Usually only eats half of the dinner portion, sometimes not at all.
Back to top Go down
Stefanie Miles
Teenager
Teenager
Stefanie Miles

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 2:03 pm

Also, he just turned 4 months a couple of days ago.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 2:22 pm

He is so young Stefanie.....what I would do, is split up the feedings if possible to 4 times a day and lower the amount. My gsd girl is considered a large breed vs a husky medium breed, and max I think I fed her was 4 cups a day at around 6-8 months. So it may be you are over feeding, especially since he isn't finishing all of his food, maybe start at 1/2 to 3/4 cups per feeding 4 times a day. Sofie is also allergic to chicken in kibble and treats, itchy and pudding poop. have you tried pacific stream puppy? that has no chicken, where as the bison puppy does. If he doesn't like the fish puppy, then try the lamb Sierra Mountain or the venison Pine forest, they both are suitable for puppies, and is what I had to switch to and rotate between the two, and that way both eat the same food. Once I switched to those 2 flavors no more itching and no more pudding poop. I never go strictly on the feeding suggestions that the bags say, I use them more as a guideline. Sofie at a year old and Miya my husky both eat less than 2 cups of kibble a day, most huskies eat 20-25% less kibble than what is recommended on the package. Before lengthy tests, I would start trying what I suggested first. If you feel you need tests then I would start by ruling out giardia, that is the only parasite that comes to me in thought when it comes to smelly poop. Lastly as Jenn suggested, for a few meals, I would do a bland diet, if you need suggestions please ask, although I will not be back on until late tonight. I would either get probiotics from vet or use greek yogurt to help sooth his tummy, once they get into the constant poop issues, their tummies are all out of whack and need good gut flora. Good luck, I know the constant not knowing kills ya.
Back to top Go down
Stefanie Miles
Teenager
Teenager
Stefanie Miles

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 2:37 pm

He was eating one up in the morning and one cup at night, which was working fine for about three weeks. Then all of the pooping started and he just simply doesn't eat at night time often. I personally do not feel that he is terribly underweight. I had him at the vet last week, and he weighed 21 lb. They said he was too thin, and he needed more food to get his weight up to where they want it to be. He is a little skinny, especially compared to what fat little Artemis looked like at 4 months, but I don't know. His flank area is sunken in, but not really bad, which is why I first thought maybe it was worms...it is really annoying. I don't know. I have to go to the store tonight, and I will get him some yogurt and see if he likes it. He is a picky little brat about his food, which is no good considering the troubles we are having. Hopefully, something will get worked out soon.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 8:21 pm

I too would split up the morning portion, he would probly eat more in the afternoon then instead of barely touching it. You mentioned getting yogurt, and hopefully he will eat it because it's very good for him, my two get yogurt everyday. When my two had pudding poop as puppies (very early puppyhood though, the 2-3 month stage) I bought them Blue Freedom puppy, and it cleared up the pudding poop. Im not suggesting you change foods again though, and I think Freedom is chicken based, which I didn't care for but reading up on it before I bought it, I was comfortable with its "quality", im merely stating what had worked for me. I honestly don't know or remember what a husky puppy should weigh at 4 months, 23 pounds doesn't sound that bad though (I could be wrong) but if he's underweight, it's most likely cuz the food is shooting right back out of him, and I really do think splitting his morning portion could help that. Good luck to you! I know it's not pleasant Sad keep us updated on his progress.
Back to top Go down
AryaGirl
Puppy
Puppy
AryaGirl

Female Join date : 2016-05-20

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 8:40 pm

My lady is also on TOTW puppy. No issues for her, though. Maybe try those "limited ingredient" type dog foods? It's called "Natural Balance L.I.D". Or maybe try a fish-based dog food. TOTW has a salmon puppy one.
Back to top Go down
Stefanie Miles
Teenager
Teenager
Stefanie Miles

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 9:28 pm

They said he should be 29 lbs. I honestly feel like he is going through an awkward phase, because his ears are as tall as his body and his legs are miles long and it makes him look thinner than he is. I did get the yogurt, and he ate it with no complaint. Thank you all for the suggestions! Hopefully, he will get straightened out soon. Poor little guy.
Back to top Go down
Stefanie Miles
Teenager
Teenager
Stefanie Miles

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 9:29 pm

I meant 25-29 pounds. Forgot part of that.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach EmptyWed Aug 31, 2016 12:51 am

I scooted over to the weigh in thread....great resource by the way Stefanie....and at 21 pounds 16 weeks old he is of a normal and possibly a little higher than many of the pups here. I think 3 cups a day should be more than fine for the time being, so 3/4 cup of food 4 times a day. I gave a little tweak to the bland diet that Ronin recommended on Dave's thread recurring stomach issue update. the pumpkin helps firm up, and the yogurt soothes the tummy. I would do the bland diet for 3-5 days, he should have a solid poop by day 2. Personally on day 5 I would decrease the mash to a 1/2 cup and add 1/4 cup of kibble, see how he does the next day, if still solid on day 7 go 1/4 cup mash and 1/2 cup kibble. If on day 8 still solid, then try all kibble. If not go back to the previous amount that he was solid and continue with that for 2 or 3 days. And then try again on getting him on all kibble. I would not feed the mash for more than 14 days however, the link also says the same, unless you are at at least 1/2 kibble and 1/2 mash. I don't really think you will have to, you just need to get some solid poops, and get his tummy to feel better.

If this doesn't work, ask for a giardia test, it is a nasty parasite, that is hard to get rid of. with Sofie, she didn't have it, however my vet treated as if, and along with the above bland diet, and a probiotic they gave me, they also gave me metronidazole and I believe amoxicillin, why? I haven't a clue on the amox, but the whole combination worked, along with me not feeding any chicken that is in kibble or treats and lowering the protein in the kibble by going to the lamb and the venison. I wanted to feed a puppy food, but since I was wanting to feed just 1 type for both dogs I chose to go with the lamb and rotate with the venison, rather than going with the pacific stream puppy. I promise that the lamb and the venison is suitable for your puppy, it is an all life stage, or again you can feed the pacific stream puppy. So you do have 3 choices. I decided to just plain rule out everything, so I decided no chicken, and a lower protein percentage, and the meds the vet gave me, I have had no issues ever since. Good luck, because like I said earlier it really sucks seeing them so sick.
Back to top Go down
Stefanie Miles
Teenager
Teenager
Stefanie Miles

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach EmptyWed Aug 31, 2016 10:46 am

I just read that comment you left on the other post. I am going serious grocery shopping tomorrow, so I will get him stuff for a bland diet. I will make sure that I check everything for chicken and grain. I truly hope he gets straightened out, because I know it must be a really uncomfortable time for him.

I hadn't checked the weigh in post, but I didn't think he was too small. I don't remember how much Artemis weighed when she was Pasha's age, but her coat was a lot fluffier. She was really fuzzy and looked like a fat little lump. His has always been thinner, softer, and lays flatter so maybe that makes him seem smaller...in combination with his giraffe legs and skyscraper ears. I just love him.
Back to top Go down
Batosi001
Newborn
Newborn

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach EmptyFri Nov 04, 2016 9:30 am

My husky has loose stool from day one he is 13 weeks now on iams puppy. I see a lot of you using totw but I surch around the local stores and no one carry it. I want local in case we run out I don't have to wait. Is there any brand that is good local? I live in georgia.Sensitive Stomach 20160910

Last edited by Batosi001 on Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pic)
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach EmptyFri Nov 04, 2016 11:55 am

My boy had "pudding poop" while on Iams - grain free changed that. You can get 4Health grain free at Tractor Supply or you can order TOTW at Chewy.com - I've ordered early afternoon and had it on my door step the next morning before noon. You can also set up an auto delivery (which can be changed, delayed, accelerated, canceled at any time.) If you order 49. the shipping is free - order 2 30# bags at a time every 2-3 months (maybe longer with a puppy, don't know) and you meet the free shipping requirement.
Back to top Go down
Batosi001
Newborn
Newborn

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach EmptyFri Nov 04, 2016 12:43 pm

Thanks I didn't think of tractor supply I will go there today. Now you said there is 4 other choice rather than totw?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sensitive Stomach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Stomach   Sensitive Stomach Empty

Back to top Go down

Sensitive Stomach

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1