It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Best Anti-Pull Leash

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
andybaby7
Newborn
Newborn
andybaby7

leash - Best Anti-Pull Leash Empty
PostSubject: Best Anti-Pull Leash   leash - Best Anti-Pull Leash EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi!

I feel as though I have tried every trick/leash/harness/collar to deter my baby girl from pulling me. However nothing has worked, especially when she knows we are on our way to the park or the pet store. Usually when its' just her and I it's not SO bad, but if there are multiple people or dogs I feel as though I am being dragged around and it is extremely frustrating. So far I have tried:
1. the halti (which I read can be very dangerous for their necks/trachea)
2. easy walk (which snapped and fell right off, luckily it was at the park and not an intersection, but I am quite nervous to use harnesses with buckle snaps now, i've also read they can be dangerous for the spine.)
3. i've read that harnesses that are anchored on the back are even worse for pulling because they entice their pulling instincts.

Has anyone found another great option that i've missed? Or if anyone has any tips to deter her pulling I would really appreciate it. Smile
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Best Anti-Pull Leash   leash - Best Anti-Pull Leash EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 10:29 pm

I used a prong collar for the first 3 years. But you need to know how to fit it and how to use it... not to be yanked v on, mostly self correcting, maybe just a flock of the wrist if you need to correct.

Ami has now "graduated" to a harness, long line and ecollar, again, something that needs to be properly fit and used knowledgeably.
Back to top Go down
TigerCzarina
Teenager
Teenager
TigerCzarina

Female Join date : 2015-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Best Anti-Pull Leash   leash - Best Anti-Pull Leash EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 10:40 pm

We recently switched to using martingale collars for walkies. Our older dog doesn't really pull, but our 8 month old pulls like crazy. I will say the martingale hasn't completely stopped the pulling, but it's brought the level down from having to seriously worry about getting pulled over and dragged to manageable shoulder workout. It's the only thing that's worked for Luka. Again you'll have to be careful to use the collar correctly but it might be worth a shot. We use the lupine brand... a little more expensive but they're nice quality. PetSmart sells them as well for just a couple of bucks tho.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
andybaby7
Newborn
Newborn
andybaby7

PostSubject: Re: Best Anti-Pull Leash   leash - Best Anti-Pull Leash EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 10:41 pm

I honestly feel as though my "flick wrist" corrections barely make a dent with her because she is so strong lol! When we're at the intersection for her favourite off leash dog trail, she is so low to the ground and practically walking sideways lol! Oy vey.

Ps. what a beauty your dog is <3
Back to top Go down
andybaby7
Newborn
Newborn
andybaby7

PostSubject: Re: Best Anti-Pull Leash   leash - Best Anti-Pull Leash EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 10:46 pm

TigerCzarina wrote:
We recently switched to using martingale collars for walkies. Our older dog doesn't really pull, but our 8 month old pulls like crazy. I will say the martingale hasn't completely stopped the pulling, but it's brought the level down from having to seriously worry about getting pulled over and dragged to manageable shoulder workout. It's the only thing that's worked for Luka. Again you'll have to be careful to use the collar correctly but it might be worth a shot. We use the lupine brand... a little more expensive but they're nice quality. PetSmart sells them as well for just a couple of bucks tho.

Good luck!

thank you I will definitely look into it!! Smile
Back to top Go down
andybaby7
Newborn
Newborn
andybaby7

PostSubject: Re: Best Anti-Pull Leash   leash - Best Anti-Pull Leash EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 10:48 pm

has anyone tried the "Freedom No Pull Harness" by 2 hounds design?

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Best Anti-Pull Leash   leash - Best Anti-Pull Leash EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 11:40 pm

andybaby7 wrote:
I honestly feel as though my "flick wrist" corrections barely make a dent with her because she is so strong lol! When we're at the intersection for her favourite off leash dog trail, she is so low to the ground and practically walking sideways lol! Oy vey.

Flick of the wrist on the prong collar. When we first got Ami, walking with a regular collar, a harness or front clip collar was... really not possible. Leash surfing at its finest lol! As well as face plants in the ditch. Whoopdy woops on my butt....
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Best Anti-Pull Leash   leash - Best Anti-Pull Leash EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 11:42 pm

andybaby7 wrote:

Flick of the wrist on the prong collar.  When we first got Ami, walking with a regular collar, a harness or front clip collar was... really not possible.  Leash surfing at its finest lol!    As well as face plants in the ditch.  Whoopdy woops on my butt....

And thank you. We like him Wink
Back to top Go down
Jrodjenn
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Best Anti-Pull Leash   leash - Best Anti-Pull Leash EmptyThu Nov 10, 2016 1:33 am

Have you ever looked into a harness called the Wonder Walker? It's a great harness that has the option of putting the leash clip in front (on the chest) or on the back normal harness clip. It is supposed to fit very snug as well, so I think it is definitely tough to get out of.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Anti-Pull Leash   leash - Best Anti-Pull Leash Empty

Back to top Go down

Best Anti-Pull Leash

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1