It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New Puppy, Quick Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
manonfire387
Newborn
Newborn

New Puppy, Quick Questions Empty
PostSubject: New Puppy, Quick Questions   New Puppy, Quick Questions EmptyWed Nov 16, 2016 7:11 pm

Hello, My name is Denzel and I just got a new baby boy Siberian husky. Unfortunately I was put into a situation by the breeder and had to pick him up at 6 weeks of age because the other prospective owner's wanted their puppies as soon as possible. Anyways after a week of freaking out, screaming bloody murder until we got a noise complaint he's finally settling in and doing much better at 9 weeks. Little buddy is smart as a whip as he can already sit(especially when crossing the street), come, stay, go to the bathroom outside and let me know when he needs to go as well as allowing me to place his food inside his crate before he goes eat. I'm just wondering what else I should be teaching him at this rate and how to keep him from developing a sort of smug "I'm so smart" complex. Because dude is 2 months old and he listens and pays attention like he's much older. Also when would we be able to go jogging? These walks are getting a little long and he'd be dead tired in 10 minutes if we jogged but I don't want to risk hip displasia/give him a micro fracture from the concrete. We also stay on the sidewalk and I'm very diligent about keeping him out of trying to pick up things in his mouth. Second round of shots are next week!

Here's some glamour shots of little Riku!

The last photo is from today when he couldn't figure out why his kong was in the crate but he was locked out.
New Puppy, Quick Questions Unname14
New Puppy, Quick Questions Unname15
New Puppy, Quick Questions Unname13
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: New Puppy, Quick Questions   New Puppy, Quick Questions EmptyThu Nov 17, 2016 6:30 pm

hi, welcome to the forums. adorable fur baby, i would wait until he is at least a year or until the growth plates close before doing any vigorous exercise. you could try food puzzles that dispense treats.
Back to top Go down
Mark Grubbs
Teenager
Teenager
Mark Grubbs

Male Join date : 2016-01-10

PostSubject: Re: New Puppy, Quick Questions   New Puppy, Quick Questions EmptyFri Nov 18, 2016 12:52 pm

That is one cute pup you have there. Welcome aboard!
Back to top Go down
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: New Puppy, Quick Questions   New Puppy, Quick Questions EmptyMon Nov 21, 2016 1:46 pm

Re: teaching commends, just google dog tricks, but I would rather keep the basic. As sometimes they can be too smart and that cause problem. Like open door to escape room to room.

Re: Walkie, I would wait until they are fully jab before meeting outside. It can pick up something not just though eating something funny, e.g. Giardia

Back to top Go down
manonfire387
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New Puppy, Quick Questions   New Puppy, Quick Questions EmptyTue Nov 22, 2016 12:50 pm

Alright, Thank you all for welcoming us! Any suggestions on feed? Right now we're on purina pro lamb but I've seen a lot about taste of the wild.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New Puppy, Quick Questions   New Puppy, Quick Questions EmptyTue Nov 22, 2016 1:29 pm

Denzel, three things to consider:
1) Is the little monster allergic to any food components.  The only way I know of to determine that is trial and error.  Some dogs (mine) can and will eat anything, others come down with diarrhea if they even see chicken, for example.
2) Availability: what you can buy in your part of Georgia (license plate) or order from Chewy, again for example, will determine what he (you) has available for options.
3) Quality of food: Consider availability and then look at DogFoodAdvisor to see how the food ranks and why.
4) (did I say 3?) Your pocket book, some of the best foods on the market make the cost of our human food look skimpy. We have to do the best we can with what's available and what we can afford.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Mark Grubbs
Teenager
Teenager
Mark Grubbs

Male Join date : 2016-01-10

PostSubject: Re: New Puppy, Quick Questions   New Puppy, Quick Questions EmptyTue Nov 22, 2016 3:27 pm

manonfire387 wrote:
Alright, Thank you all for welcoming us! Any suggestions on feed? Right now we're on purina pro lamb but I've seen a lot about taste of the wild.

I go with Merricks Grain Free kibble and make my own wet food. It is much cheaper in my opinion and I know exactly what goes in it.
Back to top Go down
manonfire387
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New Puppy, Quick Questions   New Puppy, Quick Questions EmptyTue Nov 22, 2016 3:45 pm

Yea the little gemlin doesn't seem to get sick to much, he's had chicken (both feed and cooked), turkey (cooked), lamb (feed), peanut butter, salmon (treats). I guess I'll continue with what I'm doing now as it's difficult to cook and watch him at the same time.
Back to top Go down
WolfeTX
Newborn
Newborn
WolfeTX

Male Join date : 2016-11-21

PostSubject: Re: New Puppy, Quick Questions   New Puppy, Quick Questions EmptyTue Nov 22, 2016 4:10 pm

Wow he's adorable, love his markings!
Back to top Go down
GenaG
Puppy
Puppy
GenaG

Female Join date : 2012-02-09

PostSubject: Re: New Puppy, Quick Questions   New Puppy, Quick Questions EmptyWed Nov 23, 2016 10:41 pm

I feed my adults Taste of the Wild. It works wonders! Their coats are as soft as a puppies, I find the shedding isn't nearly as bad and they hold their weight beautifully. Highly recommend it.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: New Puppy, Quick Questions   New Puppy, Quick Questions EmptyWed Nov 23, 2016 11:14 pm

I feed taste of the wild.

Now...about those walks with a pup who has only 1 puppy shot. Not a good idea - he should ONLY be on the ground in an area where you absolutely know that no unvaccinated dog has pee'd. No free walking on the ground until all shots have been had.

Jogging? Not until he's 1 year of age. Walking guidelines - for continuous walking no more than 5 minutes for every month of age so at 2 months, on concrete...that's no more than 10 minutes at a time.

He is just about the cutest thing I've ever laid eyes on. Major jealousy, here Smile

As for the training...keep it up but do NOT be surprised somewhere between 7 months to around 18 months when you find yourself with a major, mouthy, independent SOB of a teenager who "forgets" everything you taught him (you do remember being a teenager, no?)

Enjoy your puppy, he is on super cutie!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Puppy, Quick Questions   New Puppy, Quick Questions Empty

Back to top Go down

New Puppy, Quick Questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1