|Husky of the Month|
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Thanks to all for this month's entries!
|1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.|
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Our current rescue spotlight is:|
Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!
8th month old rescue husky need help
Join date : 2016-12-14
|Subject: 8th month old rescue husky need help Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:20 am|| |
Hey guys. We recently got Spyro, an 8 month siberian husky. We took him out of a 'friends' home who turned out was neglecting the dog for days. He looks very nice and seems playful, but there are some serious issues:
1, he poops and pees all over the house. this may just be because it's new, but I let him out like 5 times a day, well over 2 km per walk.
2. he wont sleep at night. we live in an appartment ( I know, what idiot takes a dog in an apartment, but couldnt let him stay there, plus we have a huge park right in front of our doorstep) but anytime I leave the room he howls like its full moon and tries to bash in the door. We cant keep him in the bedroom because of 2 birds he tried to eat already. he only sleeps if im with him in the living room, but not being able to sleep in bed with my wife is frustrating. can't ignore the howling either because neighbors. Probably it's part seperation anxiety, but we must find a solution.
3. he is a male and seems to be a bit alpha. growls and bites when you try to take his toys, have to put a thick coat on and push in order to get at it. he does listen for treats, but otherwise he ignores me
4. wont walk next to me. pulls me forward like a sleigh. I know this is something that takes time and patience, but he nearly dragged me off the stairs a few times already, so some tips here are great.
Again, I know this is not a great situation but it is better than the situation he was in. We will rehome him in a few months if we cannot resolve these issues or if he is not happy here. please give us constructive feedback we can do something with. Thanks a lot!
Join date : 2013-06-14
Location : Missouri
Join date : 2014-06-26
Location : west Texas
|Subject: Re: 8th month old rescue husky need help Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:12 pm|| |
Welcome to the forum and I can't add anything that Jenn has mentioned, excellent advice. The one thing I can offer up in addition is check and see if there is an obedience class you could take your pup, this will help in bonding, and will give some added structure. Pics please, we love pics here!
Join date : 2016-12-14
|Subject: Re: 8th month old rescue husky need help Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:35 pm|| |
Thanks for the extensive help and feedback! will try to put pictures up soon. So, partly good news, we figured out the pooping and peeing. Appearantly his feeding times were very exact. contacted old owner. Still agressive when we eat though, keeps jumping/biting. Every day is a struggle and by the time he gives up my food is usually cold.
having him in the bedroom is not an option, we also have a cat that's hiding upstairs mostly, and since spyro didnt grow up with cats he is aggressive towards them. I can't change them around every night along with older equipment. For now 1 of us is sleeping in the living room, but you can figure out thats not a long term solution. we shall figure out a way to crate train him. Just howls as soon as you put him in for now or if you leave his room even a second. suppose it will resolve with time.
We took him to a vet and he is perfectly healthy. Also we feed 3 times a day (organic kibble for now with a bowl of water, he won't eat raw meat) and take him on a walk 4-5 times a day on walks 2-4 km each. We try wearing him out, but he's mostly wearing us out at the moment:P
|Subject: Re: 8th month old rescue husky need help || |
8th month old rescue husky need help
|» The Desert Pack|
by Lostmaniac Today at 5:39 pm
» Leo's Scrapbook
by amymeme Yesterday at 10:20 pm
» Apollo Scrap book
by Lostmaniac Tue May 04, 2021 10:47 am
» Recall Information
by Lostmaniac Mon May 03, 2021 1:11 pm
» Storm scrap book.
by TwisterII Mon May 03, 2021 11:36 am
» Bolt Scrap Book
by Lostmaniac Sat May 01, 2021 5:34 pm
» Togo's Life Yason Spark
by Lostmaniac Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:04 pm
» Cataract help please
by aljones Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:31 pm
» Kavik and Tulok's Scrapbook (Tulok starts page 4) updated 4/13/20
by Kavik_the_Havoc Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:46 pm
» Neighbor's cat.... a disaster waiting to happen!
by Lostmaniac Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:50 am
» Mechta (and vicariously Bella's) place of picture holding
by Liv_Skye Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:34 am
» PSA: what to do with foof
by amymeme Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:30 pm
» Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures
by Lostmaniac Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:01 pm
» Fur regrowth
by jalepeno Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:08 pm
» How much to feed rice and something
by Liv_Skye Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:11 pm
» The complexities of Diabetes
by TwisterII Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:27 pm
» Hair Loss - a lot
by amymeme Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:54 pm
» Please...we need advice when it’s time to euthanize our sweet guy
by sibhus Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:26 pm
» Killing contest
by Lostmaniac Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:12 pm
» Not husky but quite amusing...
by amymeme Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:50 am