It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Potty training issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
melissa89
Puppy
Puppy
melissa89

Female Join date : 2016-12-11

Potty training issues Empty
PostSubject: Potty training issues   Potty training issues EmptyMon Dec 19, 2016 12:26 pm

So My 9 week old pup isn't doing so well in the potty training area. He will go outside but will also come inside and do his business. He does go on a puppy paper most times but not always. With my other puppy (3 month old american eskimo) she did great with potty training. I did have to go outside with her every time for about 2 weeks and praised her up when she went. Ive tried that with Balto but he doesn't get excited like she does. My 2 pups are part of a dog club and she suggested crate training. How do you go about crate training? All my dogs sleep with me, and I am home 95 percent of the time, so when would I put Balto in his crate? And how would it help? Any other suggestions on what I could try?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Potty training issues   Potty training issues EmptyMon Dec 19, 2016 5:39 pm

Firstly most girls potty train faster than boys. Secondly he is 9 weeks old, you can not have that high of expectations for a baby, and really your eski either has or could possibly have accidents, most puppies can not be 100% trustworthy of 0 accidents until minimum of 6 months old. Puppy pads are huge no nos because it confuses the puppy into not understanding he has to go outside. crate training is effective, because most puppies will not potty where they sleep. there may be a sticky in the training section of the forum on how to crate train, or use the search function and type in crate training. The only other thing I can suggest is to have him tethered to you at all times and watch for cues as to when he has to potty. At 9 weeks old he can hold it for 2 hours, at 3 months 3 hours, and normally after eating, sleeping, drinking and playing will have to potty.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Potty training issues   Potty training issues EmptyMon Dec 19, 2016 8:16 pm

Melissa, let me emphasize a bit one comment Renee made - meaning no disrespect of Renee btw - by allowing your puppy to use puppy pads you're actually giving your puppy permission to "go" inside, the exact opposite of what you want.

Now, every dog is different - you're finding that out, right? - your Eski is definitely the exception to the rule.  Some puppies do understand the "potty outdoors" routine and for some it takes longer.

Since you say that you're at home 95% of the time, it's (supposed to be) fairly simple.  Take the pup out every hour, no play time - she's out there to do one thing (okay, maybe two) but playing with her while you want her to potty is again confusing the issue.  If she goes potty during play time, that's great; if she wants to play when it's potty time, not so great.

I have a relatively new 5 year old who was apparently never house broken and if you think that potty training a puppy is rough, try it with one who's older - and the older they get the more difficult it becomes.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
melissa89
Puppy
Puppy
melissa89

PostSubject: Re: Potty training issues   Potty training issues EmptyMon Dec 26, 2016 10:14 pm

He's 10 weeks now, so we've had him for 2 weeks. I know it takes a lot of time and patience potty training a puppy. I've been pretty lucky with the american eskimo, I guess I was hoping I would be just as lucky with the husky! He has days where he does well (yesterday we were gone for about 4 hours and only 1 accident) then there's days (like today) where he is going often. I literally cleaned up 6 puddles of pee within 2 hours.. and that's with going pee outside. Maybe he's drinking too much water? It's hard to control as my 2 puppy's, my cat and and my 10 1/2 year old shih tzu all drink from the same bowl. Also, about the puppy paper, my shih tzu was trained with those and of course still uses them. I didn't want to to paper train at all with the new pups because I know what happens when you do. You end up with a dog that pees on any kind of rug because they think its another paper. But anyways, the husky peed on the paper all on his own, I didn't teach him.
Back to top Go down
melissa89
Puppy
Puppy
melissa89

PostSubject: Re: Potty training issues   Potty training issues EmptyMon Dec 26, 2016 10:19 pm

aljones wrote:
Melissa, let me emphasize a bit one comment Renee made - meaning no disrespect of Renee btw - by allowing your puppy to use puppy pads you're actually giving your puppy permission to "go" inside, the exact opposite of what you want.

Now, every dog is different - you're finding that out, right? - your Eski is definitely the exception to the rule.  Some puppies do understand the "potty outdoors" routine and for some it takes longer.

Since you say that you're at home 95% of the time, it's (supposed to be) fairly simple.  Take the pup out every hour, no play time - she's out there to do one thing (okay, maybe two) but playing with her while you want her to potty is again confusing the issue.  If she goes potty during play time, that's great; if she wants to play when it's potty time, not so great.

I have a relatively new 5 year old who was apparently never house broken and if you think that potty training a puppy is rough, try it with one who's older - and the older they get the more difficult it becomes.

So here we have a fenced in yard and I just let the pups out to go to the bathroom. They always go out together. They do their business and play while out there. Should I have them go outside separately instead until Balto is doing better with going outside? I let them out every hour. I was doing an hour and a half but am doing less now to see if that helps. We also put up a runner for Balto but haven't used it yet. Would it be better to use that for now instead?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Potty training issues   Potty training issues EmptyTue Dec 27, 2016 1:25 am

Al, no disrespect at all, I said No to puppy pads too, Smile
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Potty training issues   Potty training issues EmptyTue Dec 27, 2016 1:51 am

Melissa, I am going to be blunt and honest with you, please do not take offense...........I have no idea how other breeds are, I have only experience with gsds and huskies and the mix of the two, and those 2 breeds require clear consistent training. You give far too much freedom for a 10 week old husky. I understand you have other pets and children, but huskies are about as close to a human child as you can get with a breed of dog. So they must have rules. Letting them out to play only makes it so they have to pee again when they are done playing, and that is why he goes in the house. You have not set any rules, nor any schedules for him. Huskies thrive on schedules, they do not do very well with a lot of changes. Seeing the older dog pee in the house invites him to pee in the house. I would have 2 options with him and only 2: 1) When you are home he is tethered to you 100% of the time, when he gives you a cue that he has to potty drop what you are doing and take him out. 2) if you can not have him tethered to you because you can not be distracted or you are not home he needs to be created in a size appropriate crate, one in which he has enough room to turn around and lay down, where he can not pee in a corner. You need a set schedule, it is not about how much water he consumes, he needs structure. When he goes out put him on a leash and ask him to potty, for me "go potty" was for pee and "finish potty" was for poop, and I praised when they did their business. I stayed out on leash until they did so. Play time is for play time and that is it, it is not for potty and play, these 2 things need to clearly be separated. Curious, was he an inside litter or an outside litter? In my experience puppies born outside tend to have a much more difficult time learning not to potty whenever and wherever, my 2 girls are a great examples of that. My husky girl was born outside, and a tough time training, my gsd was born inside and overall was easier, neither one was a safe bet until 11 months old for my husky and 5 months for my gsd. If they potty inside you or the adult watching is at fault not the puppy, not because of too much water. Lastly, the runner idea, if you do not hate me yet, surely you will now......runners are ok for an adult dog for an occasional outside time when they can not be supervised. They are not safe for a puppy and if you have neighbors they will complain, because a husky puppy will howl, they prefer to be with their pack. If you have no neighbors you will expect howling, digging holes to Siberia and choking themselves because they do not want to be on the runner and will pull to the end continually and if there is a tree it will wrap itself around it and again choke itself. You are better off to invest in a wireless e-fence and train him to it when he is an adult, for the next 10 months he needs to be with you and his pack, left outside with supervision, adult form of supervision, and he needs to be training and learning leash manners, he needs exercise beyond having his eski friend and their play time.

I know what I said is harsh, but I have been around high drive dogs for my entire life, that is 48 years, and what is going on now is mild compared to what your husky will be like in another 2-4 months, huskies take advantage every chance they can get, it is not because they are dumb, it is because they lack proper enrichment, and think 2 steps ahead of their owner. Far too many huskies end up in rescues, shelters and rehomed because people do not take the time to properly train and exercise and give proper structure. I apologize if I seem mean, crass, not friendly, but without my words, you will be fighting an uphill battle with your boy, with out setting rules even with potty training.
Back to top Go down
melissa89
Puppy
Puppy
melissa89

PostSubject: Re: Potty training issues   Potty training issues EmptyWed Dec 28, 2016 12:03 pm

MiyasMomma wrote:
Melissa, I am going to be blunt and honest with you, please do not take offense...........I have no idea how other breeds are, I have only experience with gsds and huskies and the mix of the two, and those 2 breeds require clear consistent training. You give far too much freedom for a 10 week old husky. I understand you have other pets and children, but huskies are about as close to a human child as you can get with a breed of dog. So they must have rules. Letting them out to play only makes it so they have to pee again when they are done playing, and that is why he goes in the house. You have not set any rules, nor any schedules for him. Huskies thrive on schedules, they do not do very well with a lot of changes. Seeing the older dog pee in the house invites him to pee in the house. I would have 2 options with him and only 2: 1) When you are home he is tethered to you 100% of the time, when he gives you a cue that he has to potty drop what you are doing and take him out. 2) if you can not have him tethered to you because you can not be distracted or you are not home he needs to be created in a size appropriate crate, one in which he has enough room to turn around and lay down, where he can not pee in a corner. You need a set schedule, it is not about how much water he consumes, he needs structure. When he goes out put him on a leash and ask him to potty, for me "go potty" was for pee and "finish potty" was for poop, and I praised when they did their business. I stayed out on leash until they did so. Play time is for play time and that is it, it is not for potty and play, these 2 things need to clearly be separated. Curious, was he an inside litter or an outside litter? In my experience puppies born outside tend to have a much more difficult time learning not to potty whenever and wherever, my 2 girls are a great examples of that. My husky girl was born outside, and a tough time training, my gsd was born inside and overall was easier, neither one was a safe bet until 11 months old for my husky and 5 months for my gsd. If they potty inside you or the adult watching is at fault not the puppy, not because of too much water. Lastly, the runner idea, if you do not hate me yet, surely you will now......runners are ok for an adult dog for an occasional outside time when they can not be supervised. They are not safe for a puppy and if you have neighbors they will complain, because a husky puppy will howl, they prefer to be with their pack. If you have no neighbors you will expect howling, digging holes to Siberia and choking themselves because they do not want to be on the runner and will pull to the end continually and if there is a tree it will wrap itself around it and again choke itself. You are better off to invest in a wireless e-fence and train him to it when he is an adult, for the next 10 months he needs to be with you and his pack, left outside with supervision, adult form of supervision, and he needs to be training and learning leash manners, he needs exercise beyond having his eski friend and their play time.

I know what I said is harsh, but I have been around high drive dogs for my entire life, that is 48 years, and what is going on now is mild compared to what your husky will be like in another 2-4 months, huskies take advantage every chance they can get, it is not because they are dumb, it is because they lack proper enrichment, and think 2 steps ahead of their owner. Far too many huskies end up in rescues, shelters and rehomed because people do not take the time to properly train and exercise and give proper structure. I apologize if I seem mean, crass, not friendly, but without my words, you will be fighting an uphill battle with your boy, with out setting rules even with potty training.

Lol, no I don't hate you. I asked for advice.

I never said I don't have any rules or am not training him whatsoever. He's a smart pup and I've taught him to sit, shake his paw, and leave it. Also to give kisses instead of biting. Obviously we are still working on all of these things and we still have a lot to work on. So far I have taken him out on a leash a few times but with a driveway that is a sheet of ice, well it is kind of hard to take him for a walk. I do put a leash on him while in the house and walk around a bit to get him used to it.

And yes the 2 puppies play together but I also play with them as well. We have lots of toys and balls. They're favorite thing is when I throw the ball and they chase it together.

So yesterday I tried the tethering thing you mentioned. He didn't seem to mind. So far it's not helping (as I brought him out on the leash, he went potty, then within 10 minutes peed twice next to me). It all takes time, I know that.

The good news is that so far today there has been no accidents and he asked for the door to go out and he went potty outside.
Back to top Go down
melissa89
Puppy
Puppy
melissa89

PostSubject: Re: Potty training issues   Potty training issues EmptyWed Dec 28, 2016 12:09 pm

The reason I mentioned something about drinking too much is because I had a dog that passed a few months ago and she had diabetes. Well the reason I found out she had diabetes was because she was drinking so much and peeing a lot.

Back to top Go down
melissa89
Puppy
Puppy
melissa89

PostSubject: Re: Potty training issues   Potty training issues EmptyWed Dec 28, 2016 12:12 pm

Also, yes I know that a lot of dogs are dropped off at shelters all the time. But one thing that I have never liked, even as a little kid, is when people would get an animal and then get rid of it. My friends' parents did this a few times. Animals are for life. And my babies are all here to stay, no matter what, until the day comes that they pass.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Potty training issues   Potty training issues EmptyWed Dec 28, 2016 12:53 pm

If you are worried that your puppy is drinking too much water or is peeing excessively then you should go to the vet and rule out a uti. If your puppy has a uti potty training will be extra difficult because the urge to pee will come on fast with nearly no warning for you to see to correct.

On potty pads...If your Shih tzu is still using the pads and the pads are still in the house so is the smell and your husky is without a doubt wondering why that dog gets to use the pads and pee in the house but I have to go outside. As he gets closer to sexual maturity the need to mark will grow stronger and you could very well see a relapse in the training you will achieve, especially if the shih tzu is an unaltered male.

On crate training...in your case I would crate him at night, when you are in the shower, when you go to the store or to pick up the mail. As he grows I think you will appreciate having him crated at night and not in bed with you. He is going to get decent sized and you have multiple dogs. I have a california king sized bed and one normal sized husky and there are many nights where she tries to push me and my husband out of that huge bed. Having two to three dogs in, I couldn't imagine ever sleeping comfortably again.

Frankly, a crate/tether combo is your best bet. When you can't watch him like a hawk put him in a crate just big enough for him with no real extra space. When he is out have him on the tether and really watch him. If he looks like he is going to squat or hike, if he looks like he is getting eerily still, give the correction and snap him out of the mindset that he is thinking about peeing then immediately take him outside. It's going to be time consuming. It's going to have frustrating moments. That's part of having a typical puppy. There's no peace, no moment where you can relax and just wash dishes and forget about them.

PostSubject: Re: Potty training issues   Potty training issues Empty

Back to top Go down

Potty training issues

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1