It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Timid husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vinnie2015
Newborn
Newborn

Timid husky Empty
PostSubject: Timid husky   Timid husky EmptySat Dec 31, 2016 2:12 pm

I have 14 month husky that doesn't like going for long walks,just like to be in close proximity to home,he gets very scared and freezes then turns back on himself this happens all of a sudden with no warning as soon as he's home he's fine again,I haven't tried walking him with other dogs that's next.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Timid husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Timid husky   Timid husky EmptySat Dec 31, 2016 5:46 pm

Vinnie, always with the questions - I am. While all dogs are different, I've never seen a Husky who didn't want to go as far for as long as their master would tolerate.

That makes me wonder if maybe there's something that he's afraid of that you're not seeing? A dog might do fine crossing 6 streets until you get to one that's a little busier or maybe has an alarm on the cross walk or ...

Would you mind giving us some idea of the surroundings when you're walking him? Is he afraid as soon as you start out or do you have to get a certain distance away from home? Have you tried varying the route you travel?

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Timid husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Timid husky   Timid husky EmptySat Dec 31, 2016 8:39 pm

Kohdi was like that as a puppy, I don't remember how long it lasted though. He wouldn't want to really leave the house and when we'd get to the half way point of the walk, then he'd start walking faster, almost pulling, til we got home. I think it has something to do with leaving the comfort and security of their home and goes away with time and realizing they always get to return to home. You might try taking more, but shorter walks so he gets used to walks more and gets used to knowing home is always at the end. I also think your idea of walking with other dogs is a good one, huskies love interaction with other dogs so it will make his walk something to really look forward too.

How long have you had him? Has he always been like this or is it something new?
Back to top Go down
Vinnie2015
Newborn
Newborn

Timid husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Timid husky   Timid husky EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 9:29 am

Yes thank you for getting back to me yea vinnie is ok when we start out after 10,15 minutes he starts to get anxious looking around and tail between legs then he decides to stop and wants to go back opposite way we do live in town suburbs with buildings cars people activity and he does get walked in built up areas but it not always same route but same area.the other thing we've noticed his two of his k9 teeth are starting to turn grey now this wasn't noticed until he was at his vets 28/12/16 which she noticed immediately now this could be related to his stress when he has been out for a walk so this is getting to be a big worry,he's only 14month old and we've had since he was8 weeks old this anxiety stress thing has only started 4months ago we've had tablets for him but even this doesn't help.
Back to top Go down
Mark Grubbs
Teenager
Teenager
Mark Grubbs

Male Join date : 2016-01-10

Timid husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Timid husky   Timid husky EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 12:25 pm

Oh man, that is sad. Maybe start walking him in the exact same area/blocks and at lower traffic times. Maybe a solid routine will help in that area.
Back to top Go down
jmscott
Puppy
Puppy
jmscott

Timid husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Timid husky   Timid husky EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 11:05 pm

Have you spoken to his breeder about this? Its possible this is simply his temperament.

I would play investigator on this one. On your next walk bring a notepad and write down EVERYTHING. From the minute he starts to show signs of stress to the wind blowing to turning a corner. Even better, video tape it. This may help you catch something that you know is totally normal, but a skittish puppy may find an omen of the apocalypse.

This article has a nice rundown of things to consider when walking EXCEPT for the section on socialization. You don't want to force a scared puppy into a situation and have him simply shutdown.
http://www.fidosavvy.com/a-scared-puppy.html

This piece by Patricia McConnell is good too.
http://thebark.com/content/reducing-fear-your-dog
http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/fear
Back to top Go down
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

Timid husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Timid husky   Timid husky EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 1:37 pm

I had a Australian Cattle Dog that was the same way. He did not want to leave home. You'd have to drag him several blocks before he'd finally give up on returning home and walk normal. But that is something that would make more sense for an ACD than a husky who should be willing to run so far from home he may never find it again.

Spend a lot of time analyzing what is happening and why. If you can find the problem, you might find the solution. Is it distance? Noise? Other dogs/animals? Amount of people? Smells/odors? Busy streets/lots of cars?

Some ideas:
Routine is always a good thing for dogs. Start by walking a path that the dog is very familiar and comfortable with. If you are restricted to only a couple blocks, walk the safe path several times to get the distance your dog needs. After several safe walks, extend the path by 1 block. Gradually build up that distance from home as your dog adapts to this new distance.

Reward the dog with things that make them enjoy going further from home. Giving some treats when the dog is in that uncomfortable area may start to get them to actually look forward to going farther.

Having a positive experience at the end of the walk is good also. Do you have any parks that you can walk to? Or a nature trail area? Or a dog park? Or a pet/farm store that allows dogs inside? If that long uncomfortable walk ends up in a place where he can have a ton of fun, he'll be more willing to take those longer walks. This worked for our ACD. Once we started taking him to a nearby park on our walks, he was no longer skittish about leaving home.

Dogs latch onto ideas in a very concrete way. If a dog has a medical issue in a particular spot in a house, they will avoid that spot forever. If a puppy gets startled by a child jumping out of a large pile of leaves, they will likely always fear piles of leaves. My husky is deathly afraid of black garbage bags. No idea why or how it started, but not something I plan to correct as I have another dog that used to jump the fence to get into the neighbors garbage.

The idea is to identify the issue, and help him overcome that issue by rewarding the courageous behavior, and re-associating the issue from fear to reward.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Timid husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Timid husky   Timid husky Empty

Back to top Go down

Timid husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1