It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Jill's Gums and Teeth

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Count Alexander
Newborn
Newborn

teeth - Jill's Gums and Teeth Empty
PostSubject: Jill's Gums and Teeth   teeth - Jill's Gums and Teeth EmptyThu Jan 05, 2017 4:47 pm

As I have stated before my husky has heartworms and will not get treated until next year due to certain anxiety related complications.

She is around 4 and a half.

2 weeks after adoption I started brushing her teeth every other day, and then 1 week later was told by the vet to brush them daily.

She has horrible gingivitis and to make things worse her teeth are yellowing, her secondary vet recommends a dental cleaning but with her heartworms that option is out of the question.
-Just the slightest touch of her gums gets them inflamed and red, gentle brushing results in blood pouring in her mouth and the vet said that it is the heartworms and if killing the parasite does not work, then the dental cleaning will be scheduled asap.

Oh and the vet said i was brushing to hard but when I told her to gently brush her teeth, she quickly changed her mind, because it was no different for her than it was for me.... (barely rubbing her gum with your finger causes inflammation and sometimes bleeding)

So my question is: What can I do to help get my huskies teeth and gums to stop bothering her so much (at home remedies), because we cant put her to sleep due to the worms (anesthesia) for her dental cleaning?

Oh and one more thing, her anxiety is fear that was trained into her by her previous owner, so I am currently undoing 4 years of abuse that the previous owner committed (If I meet him/her, well, you can use your imagination(NO animal should have to go though what she did!))
-The groomer and trainer gave me advice and says that she was probably fearful of him/her and since I am so nice and reassured her I love her, she does not want to risk losing me or me randomly abusing her and going through the same thing again.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Gums and Teeth   teeth - Jill's Gums and Teeth EmptyThu Jan 05, 2017 4:59 pm

If she's not food aggressive, you can try giving her a raw bone. Not the supermarket kind with no tissue left on and not the marrow bones - there's little to clean the teeth on those. I buy a bag of beef bones from the butcher - the neck bones and rib bones are best, at least in my opinion, for having bits of meat, and tendons to act as "dental floss" Her gums will probably bleed but should start to get better.

If you can't find bones, then buy bone in meat from the grocery store, cut out the bone leaving a thin margin of meat and sinew, eat the meat yourself, give the bone from the dog. Supermarket cuts available for this might be rib roast, spareribs, short ribs, porterhouse or t-bone steak, 7 blade chuck roast...
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Gums and Teeth   teeth - Jill's Gums and Teeth EmptyFri Jan 06, 2017 3:34 pm

Amy is right on, raw meaty bones are an excellent, natural way to keep teeth and gums clean and healthy. I have no idea if having heart worm if you have dietary restrictions, if no restrictions I would also add a teaspoon working up to a tablespoon a day of coconut oil, it has a ton of health benefits, can be added to their food. Just make sure no diarrhea, some dogs can have diarrhea because it is rich, so if the poop gets soft lessen the amount given. Starting off with the teaspoon and sticking to that amount for a few days, and then working upwards should cause no issues, since you will be doing it slowly. Best of luck to you and your pup. Smile
Back to top Go down
Count Alexander
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Gums and Teeth   teeth - Jill's Gums and Teeth EmptyWed Jan 11, 2017 3:29 pm

Sorry for the late reply, got sidetracked and I did try the raw bone, but she did not show interest, in fact unless she is nearly starving she wont put anything but kibble in her mouth.

To make things worse, her breath smells like metal and blood still.... (metal is from the iron in her blood)
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Gums and Teeth   teeth - Jill's Gums and Teeth EmptyWed Jan 11, 2017 6:18 pm

Getting coconut oil into her might be your best bet. If you could maybe even rub or brush it into her teeth. She has clearly got some serious bacteria and probably tooth infections going on and coconut oil is antibacterial. Even a little apple cider vinegar in her water could help kill some of the bacteria that is in her mouth if you could get her to drink it. I would start small and work my way up with that.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Gums and Teeth   teeth - Jill's Gums and Teeth EmptyFri Jan 13, 2017 12:48 pm

Ok, this may sound really stupid but...have you tried honey? Tons of antibacterial properties in honey.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15125017
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Gums and Teeth   teeth - Jill's Gums and Teeth Empty

Back to top Go down

Jill's Gums and Teeth

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1