|Husky of the Month|
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Thanks to all for this month's entries!
|1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.|
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Our current rescue spotlight is:|
Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!
Join date : 2017-01-18
|Subject: 10 Week Training Help! Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:47 pm|| |
Hi there, so I'm having trouble training my 10 week old female husky and my husband and I just got her a week ago. She's a great puppy and is already learning basic commands but we can't get her potty trained at all! The entire time we've had her, she hasn't gone outside once even tho we take her outside constantly. When she pees inside the house it's always quarter sized but we don't think she has an infection (she goes to the vet in a few days to make sure) we've tried almost everything to potty train her such as the potty pads, taking her out every 20 minutes, time outs, pressing her nose in it, saying "no" when she tries to go. We can't put her in time outs because she just starts crying constantly and the neighbors complained and she doesn't care about us pressing her nose in it or saying no in a form voice, she actually seems to enjoy it. Today she even went so far as to drop a turd on the floor, then I firmly said no and took her outside to go for almost 20 minutes with no luck, so I brought her back in and not 5 minutes in the door, she just finished right in front of me. Honestly any help or suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated! I know huskies are stubborn and hard to train but I'm out of ideas.. thank you
Join date : 2014-08-18
Location : Terlingua, Texas
|Subject: Re: 10 Week Training Help! Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:46 pm|| |
Hey Amanda, first, welcome to our little piece of madness - you have to be at least a little mad to live with a Husky, right??
Let's more or address the options you've tried so far:
- Potty pads - with very few exceptions (a sick dog, for example) potty pads are a really bad idea. What you're doing is actually training her to go in the house - I don't think that's what you want.
- Taking her out -- I'll get back to this.
- Time outs - unless you actually catch her 'in the act', time outs aren't going to work. She has to know that the punishment is for urinating in the house and that's difficult to make them realize.
- Pressing her nose in it - very counter productive. All she's going to get out of that is that you're angry at her which will cause her to withdraw from you.
- Saying "No!" when she tries to go - that joins "Taking her out", I'll get to that in a second.
You first have to realize that she's just a little puppy, and her bladder is smaller than she is. She's going to have to "go" more often now than when she gets older because she just can't hold as much.
Now to get back to those items I skipped. It's safe to assume that you'll need to take her out, at one month old, every couple of hours - regularly
24/7. The general rule is that they can 'hold it' for one hour per month of age +1, so a one month old puppy can be expect to wait two hours between trips out. (BTW that DogTime link has a lot of useful ideas.)
Any time you see her squat, of course you're going to say "no", but you also have to take her out - right then. Help her draw the "I gotta piss = I gotta go out" equation.
Two other notes: Keep her on a leash with the other end tied to you, if you do that then there's no way - short of you not paying attention - she can do a quick squat and run. If you can't keep her leashed to you then it's time to consider crating her - but crate training is an art all it's own with plenty of discussion here about how to do it.
“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”
|» Way more stressful then I thought! |
by Cheyenne0100 Today at 12:07 am
» Systemic Marking
by aljones Yesterday at 8:22 pm
» 2 year old Husky has mouth sores and patch on leg
by amymeme Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:49 pm
» Max and Mika's scrapbook
by amymeme Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:52 pm
» Aggressive 8 week old puppy
by aljones Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:32 pm
» Rest In Peace Bodhi
by Windfishin Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:22 pm
» Apollo Scrap book
by Liv_Skye Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:18 pm
» Storm scrap book.
by aljones Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:42 pm
» Bolt Scrap Book
by Liv_Skye Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:14 pm
» The Desert Pack
by aljones Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:35 pm
» Dry Eye in Huskies
by jbealer Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:52 pm
» Fur loss... and it's not only seasonal
by amymeme Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:58 pm
» Recall Information
by aljones Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:36 pm
» Please...we need advice when it’s time to euthanize our sweet guy
by mav1016 Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:59 pm
» Memories of Sasha RIP
by jbealer Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:40 pm
» In Memory of Raven
by jalepeno Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:36 pm
» are puppies purebred?
by Sara668 Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:34 am
» Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist?
by sibmom Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:42 pm
» Leo's Scrapbook
by RedFlashFire05 Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:06 pm
» Cruciate ligament
by hush Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:58 pm