It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky as a Running Buddy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tess Czulinski
Newborn
Newborn
Tess Czulinski

Husky as a Running Buddy Empty
PostSubject: Husky as a Running Buddy   Husky as a Running Buddy EmptyMon Feb 06, 2017 1:30 am

I have a 14 month old husky mix- we don't know what she's mixed with, as she was adopted from a shelter. She's very energetic and loves to run. I want to start training for a half-marathon and I want her to run with me to get some of her energy out. We would be starting from the ground up (as in, trying to run 1 consecutive mile) as I am recovering from a running injury. I prefer to run in the morning, when it's cooler so I don't think that would be an issue. I just want to pick anyone's brain that runs with their husky pup to see how long/how often/how many water breaks you need when you run with your husky. I'm also interested in paw hygiene- is there anything special I would need to do for her paws?

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Husky as a Running Buddy   Husky as a Running Buddy EmptyMon Feb 06, 2017 1:57 am

Tess, if I can, part of our answers are going to depend on what part of the county (er, and maybe which country) you're in.  So if you could give us a hint (in your profile?) as to where you are, that would help.  Generally nothing more than a state / province is sufficient.

A general comment I've gathered here - I don't run, I'm 70, shoot, I sometimes have a hard time walking! - try to keep the running to softer surfaces, that's better for you and her.  As for the rest of your questions, I'll let some of our runners answer them.  You should know, though, that we're very slow over the weekends when people are out doing things with their dogs.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Tess Czulinski
Newborn
Newborn
Tess Czulinski

PostSubject: Re: Husky as a Running Buddy   Husky as a Running Buddy EmptyMon Feb 06, 2017 2:08 am

aljones wrote:
Tess, if I can, part of our answers are going to depend on what part of the county (er, and maybe which country) you're in.  So if you could give us a hint (in your profile?) as to where you are, that would help.  Generally nothing more than a state / province is sufficient.

A general comment I've gathered here - I don't run, I'm 70, shoot, I sometimes have a hard time walking! - try to keep the running to softer surfaces, that's better for you and her.  As for the rest of your questions, I'll let some of our runners answer them.  You should know, though, that we're very slow over the weekends when people are out doing things with their dogs.

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, I should have been more specific about where we live. We live in Oregon, US. Pretty mild all the way around, although we've been getting hammered this year with some snow (which of course, pup loved!). Lots of rain for a good chunk of the year, otherwise summers aren't too bad and if you're out and running before 7, which I always am, temps are about 50-60 deg F. Falls are even cooler, and they're gorgeous! Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Husky as a Running Buddy   Husky as a Running Buddy EmptyMon Feb 06, 2017 3:54 am

Welcome to the forum Tess!! What a happy family you have. I don't really run per say, lol, my girls do while I brisk walk or we hike, but I imagine I can give you some advice. Soft surfaces are preferable, I only see your new pup's head, assuming she's the pup you are hugging, looks maybe a shepsky, german shepherd x husky ( her ears appear larger than standard husky), would have to see more pics, and the only reason to me guessing this mix is because gsd's are prone to hip and elbow issues and HD where as the husky really isn't. With that said hopefully she follows husky side and be great, but I would do heavy running on softer surfaces, less impact on hips and joints. The temps at 50-60 my girl probably does 10 miles before wanting to drink, my gsd girl probably 5. My rule of thumb and somewhere I read, if mouth open tongue out you're fine if tongue to the side you need to stop rest and get a drink. My husky mix is a camel, she will not stop I have to make her stop, so I watch for signs, like the tongue, she may disagree with me, but she will stop and reluctantly get a sip of water, haha. Starting with a mile on a fast trot or a good jog pace is where I would start, just to test her stamina, she may run around crazy unstructured, however a structured run takes more out, you will over time build that stamina and doubt it will take long at her age. If she slows down or appears to want to slow down, watch head down rather than up and observant, probably need a break. At one mile and 50 degrees you may not need water until back to wherever you start, if you can run and carry water you're better off. lastly the paws, some swear by mushers secret, or bag balm, idk, I have never really had to treat either of my girls paws, I check them and we never are on concrete or pavement, so never had an issue. My gsd did slice open her paw pad at around 6 months old and blood everywhere and she still ran around on the grass, didn't realize until inside she did something, with that I did clean it up real good and slathered coconut oil on it, it healed in less than a week. With that said, I would check for cracked paw pads and for abrasions, again coconut oil after cleaning works great or the other items I mentioned, some also use dog booties, so you can look for those as well. Can't wait to see pics of her and your other pup. Smile
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Husky as a Running Buddy   Husky as a Running Buddy EmptyMon Feb 06, 2017 12:50 pm

If you work them up slow and start at a good age, after a year old (which she is) they make great running partners for years to come provided you keep track of them. Look for uneven wear on the pads of her feet as you work up in miles to make sure she doesn't have an odd gate that might suggest joint issues. Things like Hip Dysplasia often don't show up until 2 years old. I always figure for running it is good to have supplements like fish oil and vitamin E in the diet to help with the shock the joints take. As she ages these things will help keep her your running partner longer. I have an 8 year old female who came from unknown beginnings and she already has arthritis coming on pretty bad for a dog her age and I suspect it is due to a previous owner not taking care of her body through all the things they did with her.

Newborn
Newborn
Ekoh

Female Join date : 2016-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Husky as a Running Buddy   Husky as a Running Buddy EmptyWed Aug 30, 2017 4:03 pm

Hey Tess, I'm just wondering how the running is coming along?
Back to top Go down
Windfishin
Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

PostSubject: Re: Husky as a Running Buddy   Husky as a Running Buddy EmptyMon Sep 04, 2017 3:44 pm

Ekoh wrote:
Hey Tess, I'm just wondering how the running is coming along?

Yes, me too. Our pup is just over 5 months. He loves to go on hikes, runs, and Mtn. bike rides with us but I worry about him over doing it. I've read repetition is the enemy so lately we've been taking him to the dog park more which he loves. But it'll be great when we can get our work out in at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky as a Running Buddy   Husky as a Running Buddy Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky as a Running Buddy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1