It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Vitamin Deficiency (?)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Vitamin Deficiency (?) Empty
PostSubject: Vitamin Deficiency (?)   Vitamin Deficiency (?) EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 7:13 pm

Bodhi has been blowing his coat the last two weeks.
His breeder recommended a comb-out, bath and forced air dry from a groomer.
I've always washed my huskies myself before this, but I must say having someone else do it was great.
There's almost no hair floating around my house now.

The groomer said that Bodhi had a vitamin deficiency.
She said his coat was not supposed to come out in clumps.
Earlier, I had noticed when I brushed him his fur had some white flakes, like doggy dandruff.

My vet is out of the country for a month, so I can't ask him.
But he said my last two huskies had a zinc deficiency.
He explained that historically huskies had eaten a diet that was mostly dried fish.
On this advice, I had given both dogs a couple spoonfuls of tuna every other day.
Then I switched to fish oil capsules, and their coats were fine.

I am feeding him Taste of the Wild Pacific Salmon dog food.
He likes it, and does a little excited twirl around before I set his food down.
I think I am going back to adding fish oil for now.

Have any of you have experienced similar probs with your husky?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Vitamin Deficiency (?)   Vitamin Deficiency (?) EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 7:20 pm

huskies coats don't come out in chunks/clumps?.... that's news to me, i just spent the last month with jack having clumps of under coat coming out! (has your groomer ever dealt with a husky blowing their coat before?)
TOTW salmon is what sierra got b4 her diet and she loved it. i would do the fish oil if you want, can't harm them, i think its Val that gives all her pups the oil.

Senior
Senior
jalepeno

PostSubject: Re: Vitamin Deficiency (?)   Vitamin Deficiency (?) EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Yeah, that comment did concern me.
My other huskies just seemed to be in permanent shedding mode.
This guy I didn't think ever would shed, then three weeks ago - OMG!
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Vitamin Deficiency (?)   Vitamin Deficiency (?) EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 7:32 pm

Surely you don't mean like this?
Vitamin Deficiency (?) IMG_20110310_152832

Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Vitamin Deficiency (?)   Vitamin Deficiency (?) EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 7:38 pm

embrys blowing his coat right now, and i have clumps of tuffs of fur everywhere Shocked
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

PostSubject: Re: Vitamin Deficiency (?)   Vitamin Deficiency (?) EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 7:39 pm

Exactly like that!
Back to top Go down
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Vitamin Deficiency (?)   Vitamin Deficiency (?) EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Yeah... the clumps are totally normal. All of my huskies and my German Shepard all had those nice little tufts that just "came unglued" EVERYWHERE. I'd say find a new groomer...
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Vitamin Deficiency (?)   Vitamin Deficiency (?) EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 8:27 pm

I don't think your groomer knows exactly what they're talking about. It is perfectly normal for huskies to drop clumps of fur and even have uneven, ugly patches when they're blowing coat.

Dandruff and dry skin can be easily taken care of too if Bodhi has it. Did you notice the dandruff before he went to the groomer? I'm thinking most likely, but if it was after I'd seriously wonder how good a job they did on him.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with supplementing if you think you might have a dry skin issue leading to the dandruff though. I'd disregard the deficiency and clumping comments. If you want to supplement for the coat I would suggest either fish oil or cold-pressed virgin coconut oil. I am about to start my pack on coconut oil as a supplement. It has a lot of health benefits and can be used both internally and externally. Externally it can be used as a wrap that will leave your dog's coat oh so soft...so I hear anyway. I know a lot of people who use coconut oil and rave about how great it is, better than their experience on fish oils. It's high calorie but it can help boost the metabolism and help overweight dogs slim down. The saturated fat content tends to bother people too and that is addressed well in the second linked site below.

Here's some good reading for anyone that might be interested in learning more about coconut oil:
WDJ Crazy About Coconut Oil

CocoTherapy FAQ

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Vitamin Deficiency (?)   Vitamin Deficiency (?) EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 9:53 pm

Very interesting, Val. Thanks for those links. Going to have to try that with my group Smile

Clumping like that is normal for most double coated breeds.

I'd try adding some oils into his diet. We do fish oil and vitamin E daily. Rarely ever see dandruff except for when the temps dipped down real low (for us, anyway) a month or so ago.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
friesianet
Puppy
Puppy
friesianet

Female Join date : 2011-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Vitamin Deficiency (?)   Vitamin Deficiency (?) EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 5:15 pm

arooroomom wrote:

I'd try adding some oils into his diet. We do fish oil and vitamin E daily. Rarely ever see dandruff except for when the temps dipped down real low (for us, anyway) a month or so ago.

Yeah, we feed Nut fish oil 2x a day. When we first got her, her coat was thin, dry, and she was itchy. I expected a big coat blow (NORMAL, BTW ) Laughing this fall and she just had a few clumps here and there.

Just gave Nut a bath last night and thanks to the Nupro supplements we've started, the fish oil, and her last food change her coat is shiny, good oil, and soft. It took some time, though. She's been on fish oil for about 2 months now and we're just starting to see the difference.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Vitamin Deficiency (?)   Vitamin Deficiency (?) EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 6:23 pm

I don't have anything else to add except that I agree on all accounts. Clumping is normal. Even the dandruff. Val made some great suggestions Smile

Vitamin Deficiency (?) Hailey10
Back to top Go down
SiberianHuskySibhee
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Vitamin Deficiency (?)   Vitamin Deficiency (?) EmptySat May 07, 2011 5:57 am

Do you supplement the dog with Vitamin E? My Sibhee had hair loss on the past and her vet said that she has vitamin E deficiency and recommended me to supplement her with Vitamin E.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vitamin Deficiency (?)   Vitamin Deficiency (?) Empty

Back to top Go down

Vitamin Deficiency (?)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1