It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

"You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kaeden Goodchild
Newborn
Newborn
Kaeden Goodchild

"You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue Empty
PostSubject: "You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue   "You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 3:26 pm

Tikaani is 1 year, 3 months old and lost a bunch of weight last august due to stress, and stopped eating.
He started eating properly again november-ish when i started him on RAW.

He eats a lot and even leaves a bit of food sometimes, but he doesnt seem to put any weight on, actually he's lost 4 lbs since Jan.

He weights 44.2 lbs, hes a little bit taller than most huskies hes met (i'm part of a husky club so he sees a lot)

No matter what i try he will not put weight on.
You can very easily feel his hip bones, ribs, backbone. I have taken pics but they don't show it very clearly :/
See below for pictures but tell me if you have any ideas thanks. Smile

"You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue 20170310
"You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue 20170311
"You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue 20170313
"You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue 20170312
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: "You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue   "You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 3:46 pm

Welcome to the forum Kaeden, what a lovely boy you have. My girl is like this and drops weight pretty bad. However, she has a reason for it, and altho huskies are great self regulators most only go a day or so with out eating. I would slowly up his overall amount of food. What % of body weight are you currently feeding? What proteins are you feeding, and what type and how much fat are you feeding? Does he experience frequent diarrhea and or throwing up? have you taken him to the vet to run tests? There could be several reasons why, let's start with my questions first before giving advice Smile
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: "You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue   "You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 3:47 pm

Kaeden, first the question: What are you feeding him, how much and how often.

Agreed from those two pictures this guy is severely underweight - what's your vet had to say?

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Kaeden Goodchild
Newborn
Newborn
Kaeden Goodchild

PostSubject: Re: "You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue   "You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi, yeah he went a couple days then ate a little bit and this went on for a few months. The vet said it was worms so i gave him me some stuff to give him. Took him back cause he was still underweight and the vet said to try changing the food and get him some goats milk to try help put on weight. that didnt work so then i got told about raw got him eating properly for a few weeks but then he went off it completey so i got trying all types of food in desperation and the only thing he will eat is the big tins of pedigree loaf stuff (yeah i know terrible, but he wont eat anything else). so that's 1200g per day.
He hasnt had diarrhoea in months, and he threw up a few weeks go so its not a regular thing.
He's booked back in at the vets next week and im guna see if they will run bloods like ive been advised.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: "You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue   "You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 6:01 pm

I would run specific tests for SIBO and EPI, both go beyond just pancreatic function. Thyroid tests and diabetes tests as well, and make sure they also go beyond the simple blood tests. All 4 issues I mentioned are fixable, but have to be tested individually beyond just common blood tests. For now yes the goat milk is highly recommended since it is high fat, and good for the gut. I would also consider trying raw again, and use a higher calorie protein like beef or lamb.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: "You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue   "You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 6:58 pm

Kaeden, I'm being my normally abrupt self - if you can't get better answers out of your vet than you're saying, then it's time to change vets (if you can)

I have a pup here who's typically underweight - on one hand he's apt to not eat for a day or so, on the other hand I have two females who hog the food bowl - I've been giving him some canned "stuff" on top of his kibble just to get him to eat. What you might want to try is something similar, if you have a decent grade kibble (which he doesn't eat) try mixing it with some of the Pedigree (which he does) - you might be able to entice him to eat more of a better food while gobbling up the trash ...

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: "You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue   "You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue EmptyThu Mar 09, 2017 4:09 pm

I would also recheck for worms and other bugs, feeding RAW there is a chance he could have picked something up.
Also maybe time for a new vet? hope your boy can get on the mend. We have a ton of people here that know there stuff on RAW and food that can help you!

PostSubject: Re: "You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue   "You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue Empty

Back to top Go down

"You need to feed your dog more!" Weight issue

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1