It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Night potty training advice for 12 wk old puppy!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
elledeew4
Newborn
Newborn
elledeew4

Female Join date : 2017-03-27

training - Night potty training advice for 12 wk old puppy! Empty
PostSubject: Night potty training advice for 12 wk old puppy!   training - Night potty training advice for 12 wk old puppy! EmptyMon Mar 27, 2017 1:06 pm

Hey Everyone!

I have a pup who turned 12-weeks old today, I've had her at my home for two weeks. She has potty training down pretty well. She will go to the door to tell me she needs to go out, hasn't had any accidents in the house/crate since the first couple days of having her in my house. My question is regarding training her to sleep through the night. As it stands right now, her last feeding/drinking is usually between 6-7pm depending on when I get home. I usually bring her out for her last potty around 10:30-11pm. Right now, she will wake up and lightly whine at around 1am-ish. I will take her out to potty, and put her right back in her crate and right back to bed i go. sometimes she will wake up again around 3 or 4 am to go out again, and then I do the morning feeding at 5:30am.

Is this schedule pretty normal? Is there a better way of going about the nightly potty routine? should I ignore the initial whining and only take her out mid morning and then again right before feeding? Will it just take time for her to grow and become more mature? I'm afraid that if I ignore the whining she will have an accident. Any experience, advice, life stories, words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

training - Night potty training advice for 12 wk old puppy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Night potty training advice for 12 wk old puppy!   training - Night potty training advice for 12 wk old puppy! EmptyMon Mar 27, 2017 2:13 pm

I'm betting that Sora is the pup and Lisa is the human Smile but "Hi!" to both of you anyway.

Even at 12 weeks old, you're still dealing with a little puppy, only having to get up three times during the course of the night is good, so I'd say that you're "on target". Like human babies, puppies will learn at their own pace ... some "never" (yeh, hah!) have an accident in the house and some don't learn "house training" till they're a year old.

As for taking her out when she whines, as long as you've got her set to let you know she needs to go out - and it's out to go potty and back in, no playing while she's out - keep that up. You don't want a puppy getting a UTI because she's had to hold it too long ... remember she's a little thing and her bladder is even smaller so it fills up faster ....

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down

Night potty training advice for 12 wk old puppy!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1