It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is she too small?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
meg1995
Puppy
Puppy
meg1995

Female Join date : 2016-09-29

Is she too small? Empty
PostSubject: Is she too small?   Is she too small? EmptyThu Jul 27, 2017 9:50 pm

So I take Finley to the dog park all the time since we have no yard and its great socialization time. The past couple weeks I've gotten MULTIPLE questions about whether or not she is purebred/a pomsky/mini husky, etc. A woman actually told me she "walks like a mixed breed" (what???) Lol I didn't know what to make of that one. Fin is 5 months old, female, and about 27 pounds. I felt like she was on track for her size, but I'm starting to worry she's not growing properly or something? Why does everyone think she's mixed with something because she's smaller? Side note, I wouldn't give a crap if she was mixed or not, I'd love her no matter what but I just find it so odd that I get these comments since she is still a baby!! Here's the little mud princess in the car today Is she too small? Img_3811
Back to top Go down
meg1995
Puppy
Puppy
meg1995

Is she too small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is she too small?   Is she too small? EmptyThu Jul 27, 2017 9:51 pm

Also, a lot of these comments come from other husky owners as well, otherwise I would just write it off as ignorance about the breed!
Back to top Go down
Husky911
Puppy
Puppy
Husky911

Male Join date : 2017-03-30

Is she too small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is she too small?   Is she too small? EmptyThu Jul 27, 2017 10:02 pm

Looks full husky to me!!! Echo is definitely husky because i have the papers and a genealogy of his ancestors and at 5 months he was only 22.6lbs. So honestly Finley is just fine =D. You can educate your park guests that huskies come in all shapes and sizes!
Back to top Go down
meg1995
Puppy
Puppy
meg1995

Is she too small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is she too small?   Is she too small? EmptyThu Jul 27, 2017 10:18 pm

Yeah I know shes full husky because I saw her parents I just find it annoying that anyone feels the need to tell me she's too small lol!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Is she too small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is she too small?   Is she too small? EmptyThu Jul 27, 2017 10:21 pm

It's amazing how many former husky owners think my female is small. She is top of standard at 21 inches tall and 50 pounds. People who don't ever see quality dogs have a warped sense of how big huskies are supposed to be. It's about educating. If you had a red husky people would tell you she can't be that color. I beg to differ.

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Is she too small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is she too small?   Is she too small? EmptyThu Jul 27, 2017 10:37 pm

He doesn't have blue eyes - he can't be a husky!
... etc, etc, etc ...

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
meg1995
Puppy
Puppy
meg1995

Is she too small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is she too small?   Is she too small? EmptyThu Jul 27, 2017 11:15 pm

Its insane! I mean she's only 5 months old, I wouldn't expect her to be much bigger than she is. When do they usually hit a growth spurt? and lol aljones, its unreal how many people don't know the basics of huskies.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Is she too small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is she too small?   Is she too small? EmptyThu Jul 27, 2017 11:35 pm

Growth spurt - any time now ...

Ya know, I don't mind the folks who don't know and admit they don't know ... It's the one who apparently know everything there is to know about Huskies and then make asinine comments - she's too small / big; she's pure white / black; she mist be blind with those blue eyes?  These are the one who really irritate me.  I'll teach someone who doesn't know and is trying to learn more, the fools who know it all and don't want to know any different ... well, let's just say they irritate me.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Is she too small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is she too small?   Is she too small? EmptyFri Jul 28, 2017 12:06 am

The "walks like a mixed breed" comment...*could* mean (and she'd probly have to be really up on her knowledge of the husky breed to take notice) is that when huskies walk, they are very light on their feet, it's almost a prance like movement. I'm guessing that Finley is more purposeful in her walk, as I would think they are at such a young age. I realize I'm a husky owner, lol, but when I look at Finley, I see husky. And yeah, with Mishka I got/get the Pomsky comment. The girls are often just tiny, just makes them all the cuter, haha. just enjoy your pup, when she is fully mature, the comments will probly go away anyways Smile
Back to top Go down
huskybaby
Puppy
Puppy

Is she too small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is she too small?   Is she too small? EmptyFri Jul 28, 2017 9:50 am

Love the dog!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Is she too small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is she too small?   Is she too small? EmptyFri Jul 28, 2017 10:39 am

Don't listen to the vast majority of underinformed comments from random strangers on walks and at the dog park. I find that MOST huskies I meet are much larger than breed standard which I think lends to the common misconception that a normal size husky is "small". I once met a 9 month old husky puppy at a pet expo who was noticeably larger than my adult sibe who is within but close to the top of the breed standard for size. And I know said puppy was not done growing!

Most people still think my 12 year old sibe is a puppy because they think he is "small" and not full grown. Rolling Eyes

Is she too small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is she too small?   Is she too small? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is she too small?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1