It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat   Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 08, 2017 4:11 pm

I knew this post would get interesting. Thank you Amy for finding that information!

A picture really is worth a thousand words. Seeing this beautiful coloring is one thing but seeing in the last pics, the close up of the guard hairs, that's just wow. You really can see something isn't quite right in that pic.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat   Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 08, 2017 4:49 pm

@aljones- yes I'm basing health of the overall coat on the complete color change. I know it's not uncommon for Siberians to change as they grow, we've all seen that to one degree or another. What we do not see is an otherwise healthy animal decide it's going to become a completely different color (this is not the same as a dark red turning light red or a buffy puppy resulting in a grey adult). It would be impossible for a dog to re-write it's genetics to become a completely new color. It is not remotely natural for a black coat to change color to this degree- this indicates there is either something very deficient in diet (that would be extreme and you'd expect other side effects), damage, or something impacting over all health of the animal. Black hair turns red when it dies. Sun damage, dietary deficiencies, and overall health of the animal (remember that healthy coat starts from within) speeds the process. Ultimately though what is being seen is a broad spectrum coat death. That shouldn't occur in an otherwise healthy coat. Reading the posts FD should also be looked into, but I wouldn't completely rule out thyroid. Siberians thyroid levels are already one of the lower levels of dog breeds, running a breed specific thyroid panel couldn't hurt, you may not see other symptoms but you are seeing something rather concerning.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat   Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 08, 2017 4:56 pm

HuskyMom09 wrote:
To further illustrate-  this would be a dark sable coat
Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat - Page 2 10984510
Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat - Page 2 13227110

The above dog as a puppy, you can see from birth this would not have been confused as a b/w-
Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat - Page 2 30198810
Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat - Page 2 38633510
Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat - Page 2 39204110

A light sable coat
Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat - Page 2 11023210

Close view you can see how the sable coat is a red/tan base to a black tip (vs a true 'red')-

Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat - Page 2 13349010

This is in effort to illustrate Sable is not a 'red coat with black pigment'!!

Are these yours, Lani? They are beautiful.
Back to top Go down
arkentect
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat   Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 08, 2017 5:14 pm

Thanks everyone for the posts and comments, they have all been a great help. I actually had already reach out to Kato's Vet for some answers since I assumed maybe it was something I did or didnt do that cause his coat changed. He already scheduled for testing for the three things mentioned in the op (cushings, thypothyroidism, and alopecia). I figured I would come here because someone would have either seen something like this before or know what is happening and I think we def have a lock on the FD diagnosis.

I just hope my poor boy doesn't lose his fur as a result of whats causing this. I will continue to keep everyone updated and have a phone call scheduled in the morning with the vet to discuss the follicle issue
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat   Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 10, 2017 12:17 pm

I think this thread has been interesting for several reasons:
It's common knowledge that none of knows everything. We all know some things and some of us don't know as much as we'd like to think (that, BTW, is NOT directed at anyone in particular). My lack of understanding about an agouti led me down a path that also educated me - thanks @HuskyMom09 for all you did to teach me. Your experience is invaluable!
@amymeme did something that irritates me with "Check out follicular dysplasia", I didn't know enough about the subject for google to be any help, I didn't know what I was looking at / for. She saved herself, for me, when she provided a link later that put the spotlight on the issue. I very much appreciate that reference - even if I did feel like "Duh, I'm dumb!" after reading it.

I really hope @Arkentect follows through with diagnosis / prognosis and current state as time passes, I'm intrigued by this whole situation as she presented it.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat   Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 10, 2017 2:06 pm

Al... When I'm on my phone, keyboarding, copy paste etc exceedingly burdensome. And Chuck full NB of steps. See. Should say chick full of errors :p
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat   Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 10, 2017 2:31 pm

Yeh, tell me. I have a "keyboard" on my tablet and I still won't respond to anything on it 'cause my fingers are too fat for the little keys there, I can imagine what it's like to try to type on a phone - NOT!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
meg1995
Puppy
Puppy
meg1995

Female Join date : 2016-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat   Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Woah! That is seriously crazy. His puppy pictures remind me of my pup because she has reddish/brown spots in some areas of her coat but dang!! I've never seen anything like that, this thread was really interesting to read. Hoping you get a clear diagnosis from the vet and that everything will be ok!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat   Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Complete Color Change and lack of Guard Coat

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2