It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Dog bite~Human Arm

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Dog bite~Human Arm Empty
PostSubject: Dog bite~Human Arm   Dog bite~Human Arm EmptyThu Sep 14, 2017 6:58 pm

Hey Everyone,

So today i received the worst dog bite i have ever had. I am dog sitting for a friend and have 6 huskies at the house right now. they have been over since Sunday night and i was taking them back home tonight. We have had 2 issues (fights) with the one picking on Finn where i have used water to break it up and the other time loud yelling worked.
So this morning, everyone had been walked and i was walking over to the crates to collect food dishes for breakfast and that's all it took, the boy got worked up and attacked Finn in the mix of the other 4 dogs so going low (legs) to break it up was not gonna happen, so as he jumped up i reached over and grabbed the top of his collar and as i did that Finn was jumping up to defend himself and latched onto my right arm just above the elbow.

if you want pictures i can attach but it was bad.

I cleaned them up the best i could, dial soap and spray saline solution and neosporin
Got myself into work and everyone here was telling me to go to a doctor as it was still oozing, well i went and now i have 6 stitches in 2 wounds.
everyone keeps asking me if im ok, and well yeah im ok other then 2 large bite marks on my arm with stitches in them, im more pissed off then anything.

so im glad i went to the docs as i think keeping them open would have been a PIA to heal with how active i am and how long they were, doc said they were not that deep but the skin was rough cut. i was also worried about going because i did not want a bite report taken and they did not do that, i think because it was my own dog in my home.
Just wanted to put this out there in case this happened to anyone else, if you think you may need stitches go and have it looked at, you mostly do need them.

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Dog bite~Human Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog bite~Human Arm   Dog bite~Human Arm EmptyThu Sep 14, 2017 9:47 pm

Ouch!! That sounds about like the last time that Sasha got me - 4 stitches and then butterflies on a couple that were to ragged to stitch.

Texas has a strict notification law - but it doesn't apply to being bitten by your own dog ... I guess that they figure that if you keep a dog who's been known to bite then you deserve what you get - I just thank the gods that she hasn't gone after me again 'cause each bite was more severe than the previous one.

At least, in your case, you know that it wasn't Finn intentionally going for you - that sounds like it was more a matter of the wrong thing (arm) being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'll repeat your comment about stitches, while the scars on my arm look bad, if they hadn't been stitched they'd look a lot worse - if you need 'em, go get 'em. (But also, in light of state laws, take a look and find out what happens if your own dog - or dog in your care - bites you.)

Jenn, I hate to do this, but you know I have to - don't you know better than to try to grab a collar in a dog fight? << go ahead, slap me for being a smart a$$ >>

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Dog bite~Human Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog bite~Human Arm   Dog bite~Human Arm EmptyFri Sep 15, 2017 2:30 am

Oy, Jenn...So sorry to hear this. Please be watchful for infection. I was quite surprised with my tiny bite, really not more than 1/4" though full skin thickness. The bite itself looked fine but the hand started to throb and swell with mild over all redness within 24 hours. Was not a bite site infection but cellulits progressing to lymphangitis within 36 hours. When Wayne examined, he suddenly got really serious (like deadly so) and said we're gonna' nip this in the bud and started antibiotics (he's not a pill pusher, more of a wait and see kind of doc so I take him seriously on this)

So - short answer. any heat redness pain surrounding the bite that gets worse not better, ESPECIALLY if you have red streaking up your arm, no matter how faint, get thee to a doc PDQ. From what I learned about lymphangitis, you can have lasting disability.

Happy ending - except for the skin peeling over the hand, everything is fine now.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Dog bite~Human Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog bite~Human Arm   Dog bite~Human Arm EmptyFri Sep 15, 2017 2:31 am

Oh - and Al. Mine was also reaching for a collar on a semi sleeping dog...
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Dog bite~Human Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog bite~Human Arm   Dog bite~Human Arm EmptyFri Sep 15, 2017 10:58 am

Good on you going to the doctor. I avoided going when I got bit because I wasn't sure about our dog bite laws and I didn't think it was that bad. Mistake on my part. Had one tooth puncture to the underside of my arm just above my elbow (Kye and kenzi were into it and I grabbed scruff but lost my grip on kye before he calmed down and he turned on me and bit into my bicep.) that was a little over a quarter inch deep. It oozed for 2 days. While I now have a hole that is somewhat heeled that looks like I got shot by a bb gun it's the muscle damage that happened that is really haunting me now. I'm going to have to go in. It's several months old at this point and there's a dent in my arm where muscle has either died or moved and some hard spots that are starting to form under the skin where things were torn. I still have shadow scratches on the upper part of my bicep where his top teeth went across my skin. It's surprising how much damage they can do pretty fast. Kenzi would cut the heck out of a person if she bit them but Kye is the first husky I've ever encountered that had the bite power to do muscle damage. Didn't think most had that kind of force.

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Dog bite~Human Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog bite~Human Arm   Dog bite~Human Arm EmptyFri Sep 15, 2017 11:44 am

Y'all might find this PDF interesting.

As hard as I tried, I couldn't find anything positive or negative, with one possible exception, of situations where it's your own dog that bites you. The exception is that once your dog has bitten you, your dog now has a known propensity to bite in certain situations which ups your potential liability if he bites someone else (I was told this by our local sheriff, btw, after Sasha bit me and I called EMS and went to the hospital for stitches.)

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Dog bite~Human Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog bite~Human Arm   Dog bite~Human Arm EmptyFri Sep 15, 2017 1:03 pm

That's a great PDF find. And YES i know better then to grab the collar, but it was the only option I had. The issue was with six dogs in a small space and two of them fighting I didn't really have a clear shot to get anywhere else of his body. I thought by nabbing him while he was jumping up in the air gave me a better shot of not being bit down near the ground.
Whiskey helped with the pain last night as well as I think helping me fall asleep!
Amy, I am keeping a very close eye on the sites the one on the underside of my arm is a little tricky to see up close so I got to get in the mirror or have can look at it
Jenn, sounds like we got bit and almost the same spot. Thankfully it seems to be just below into the inside of my bicep and the one on the outside is just below my tricep

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Dog bite~Human Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog bite~Human Arm   Dog bite~Human Arm EmptyFri Sep 15, 2017 5:20 pm

Medscape just did a slideshow on animal bites...here is excerpt on dogs.  Note the crushing force...

Dog Bites
Dog bites are the most common type of mammalian bite in the United States
(60%-90% of all mammalian bites)
[3,4,20] and account for an annual 1%-2% of all ED
visits for injuries.
[2,4,11] Children are the most common victims—frequently boys and
those aged 5-9 years—and typically suffer bite wounds to the head and neck.
[1-
4,7,10,11,20] Pet dogs are the predominant culprits.
Dog bites frequently cause a crushing and tearing type of wound, given the size and
rounded shape of their teeth as well as the strength of canine jaw muscles, which can
exert a tremendous amount of pressure per square inch (psi) (200-400 psi).
[3,7] Thus,
deep structure trauma (eg, tendons, joints, muscles, bones, nerves, vessels) and even
fractures may result.
[3,7]
In general, dog bites are thought to be at a lower risk of infection (except wounds to the
hands),
[7,10,13,20] as they are more typically open with exposed tissue beds, usually
allowing adequate drainage. Still, if feasible, dog bite wounds should be left open, with
consideration for delayed primary closure. Antibiotic prophylaxis should considered,
particularly for wounds to the hand.
[4,7] Common bacteria associated with dog bites
include Staphylococcus and Streptococcus species (spp) and Capnocytophaga
canimorsus, as well as Bacteroides, Fusobacterium, Pasturella, and Prevotella
organisms.

Last edited by amymeme on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Dog bite~Human Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog bite~Human Arm   Dog bite~Human Arm EmptyFri Sep 15, 2017 6:18 pm

Sorry to hear about this.
Hope you are on the road to wellness now.

Happened to me too with husky #1.
He was in a dog fight with a wolf-hybrid.
They were thrashing so much I couldn't get the feet.
So I grabbed for the collar with my left hand.
When I was bitten, my watch took most of the chomp.
The only puncture was where the teeth went past the watch band.
The band was metal and had a dent from a tooth in it for the rest of its life.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Dog bite~Human Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog bite~Human Arm   Dog bite~Human Arm EmptySat Sep 16, 2017 9:49 am

Glad you're okay Jenn, sounds like a nasty tear.

Speaking to the notification laws, I believe it is different where children are concerned. You may not have to report your own dog in an adult incident but you would if it happened to a child. Not that anyone would hesitate to take their child to the hospital for such a thing (I hope anyway) but it would go on record. My child cousin had to get stitches on her face when her Akita tried to take food from her. It was not an act of aggression at all but a report had to be made since she was a child. It happened a second time a year or 2 later and the poor dog had to be put down. For this reason I try to never allow Dakota to be near the children when food is around. Just adding to the tales of caution here.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Dog bite~Human Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog bite~Human Arm   Dog bite~Human Arm EmptySat Sep 16, 2017 11:30 am

Hope you are feeling better Jennifer! That sux Sad

I don't have any experience with hospitals and dog bites, fortunately, but I was VERY surprised last year when my mom was knocked down by my friends Great Dane and had broken her wrist. The hospital wanted all the info on the dog/owner so we ended up lying and saying a dog was loose and came out of nowhere and left just as quickly so we didn't have any information for them.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Dog bite~Human Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog bite~Human Arm   Dog bite~Human Arm EmptySat Sep 16, 2017 2:08 pm

In New York state hospitals must report dog bites, not sure about doctors offices.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Dog bite~Human Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog bite~Human Arm   Dog bite~Human Arm EmptySun Sep 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Oh man, Jenn! That sucks! Hope you're feeling better now. I had a very similar thing happen when we were still in Maryland, when I pulled the red boy from the shelter in Baltimore and couldn't get him to his full time foster for a few days. Denali picked a fight in a really tight space and my hand wound up in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was the foster who got me, and I was terrified about having to report it. Thankfully both the rescue AND the ER doc understood that it was mostly my fault and we were able to protect the dog. I wound up with a nasty case of cellulitis too, and it was my right hand which made grading exams that week a lot of fun. Hopefully yours heals quickly and you don't have any lasting issues.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Dog bite~Human Arm 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

Dog bite~Human Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog bite~Human Arm   Dog bite~Human Arm EmptyMon Sep 18, 2017 9:23 am

Oh man Jenn glad you got it looked at. Scary though I am sure. I have had to break up that kind of fight and when you are done you always seem to access what you did and what you did wrong being hard on yourself. Well life happens and no situation is perfect glad everything was not even worse. Heal up girl and hang in there.

jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Dog bite~Human Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog bite~Human Arm   Dog bite~Human Arm EmptyMon Sep 18, 2017 1:32 pm

thanks everyone. so my arm is all kinds of fun colors today and area is feeling better ( i do think i pulled something on that arm rock climbing yesterday though...). not seeing any infection, been keeping it clean and with neosporin on it so that is good. Just waiting on when the itchy faze will hit..... and i need to look into getting those scissors to take the stitches out when it is time.

Dog bite~Human Arm 20170911
inside of arm

Dog bite~Human Arm 20170910
back of arm

Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

Dog bite~Human Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog bite~Human Arm   Dog bite~Human Arm EmptyFri Sep 22, 2017 6:20 pm

sorry to hear, I'm glade you got it looked at and your feeling better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dog bite~Human Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog bite~Human Arm   Dog bite~Human Arm Empty

Back to top Go down

Dog bite~Human Arm

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1