It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Skin problems

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Freya
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2017-09-23

Skin problems Empty
PostSubject: Skin problems   Skin problems EmptySat Sep 23, 2017 11:16 am

Hi all,

I've had Freya for 2 months now. Recently she has developed blister like rash around her mouth area (including her lips) and is moving up to her nose Crying or Very sad She has been rubbing her chin against surfaces around the house (eg. rugs, my bed covers, towels) and scratching at her face with her paws. I went to the vet last week and they have provided antibiotics for her presuming it was allergies causing the "rash", but she doesn't seem to be getting any better?

Any idea on what it could be? Any advice?

Skin problems Image11
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Skin problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skin problems   Skin problems EmptySat Sep 23, 2017 12:33 pm

Jess, I'm not going to suggest anything - I have a couple of thoughts - but the real experts have a tendency to take the weekend off to do things (with their dogs?)  If you don't get a response over the weekend, don't be too surprised.

ETA:
Since no one else has chimed in, you might want to take a look at Zinc Deficiency which seems to be more common with Huskies than thought.  Diagnosis and treatment initially will require the vet to take a scraping but after diagnosis, treatment seems to be fairly straight forward.

I have no experience with this, others on the forum have so take my comment with a gargantuan grain of salt.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Skin problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skin problems   Skin problems EmptySat Sep 23, 2017 2:55 pm

Looks like acne. An antibiotic ointment should help. For the most part it should work itself out if that's what it is. Clean her face, make sure her bowls are kept washed and it will hopefully start getting back under control soon. How old is she? Dogs are a lot like humans in this. Hormones, such as coming up on a heat or the teen phase, can bring it on.

Newborn
Newborn

Skin problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skin problems   Skin problems EmptySat Sep 23, 2017 7:25 pm

Hi aljones,
I have had a slight feeling it was zinc deficiency too, but like you said, will need to confirm with the vet to know for sure. We'll be visiting the vet again tomorrow.

Hi TwisterII,
I really hope it might just be acne. Freya is only just 4 months. What would you recommend we wash her face with? I have been doing a warm towel compress on her face once or twice a day to help kill the germs.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Skin problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skin problems   Skin problems EmptySat Sep 23, 2017 8:58 pm

I would just use clean water or an extremely diluted vinegar wash. And I mean extremely diluted. Too much will burn. At 4 months she is maturing and starting to get more adult hormones working through her.

Newborn
Newborn

Skin problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skin problems   Skin problems EmptySun Sep 24, 2017 3:53 am

Thank you TwisterII! I have been doing the warm towel compress for her the past 2 days. I will continue to do so until our next vet visit Smile
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Skin problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skin problems   Skin problems EmptySun Sep 24, 2017 3:57 am

Freya, what type of food bowls do you use? Plastic may be causing the issue, especially at her age and to me it doesn't look like ZRD, this is blistery type of look, or pimply. I had a cat allergic to plastic and she would literally get black heads, these don't look like black heads, but it may be a reaction to food bowl, or some type of toy.
Back to top Go down
Freya
Newborn
Newborn

Skin problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skin problems   Skin problems EmptySun Sep 24, 2017 5:11 am

Hi Renee,

I've given Freya a ceramic bowl for her food and a metal bowl for her water. I don't think it is necessarily what I use. I've recently changed her over to the Taste of the Wild puppy food, so I was thinking maybe it was that (which is a bit of a shame because it's probably the best food we've given her in terms of her gut). We also had a few very hot day this past week (in Australia) so I did make her an icy treat containing watermelon, coconut water, and a slight bit of honey.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Skin problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skin problems   Skin problems EmptySun Sep 24, 2017 6:32 pm

I would just make sure what you have stays washed. Oils on kibble tend to stick around. If she has any rubber toys/balls I would keep those washed. Keep the area clean and apply a topical antibiotic if she will let you, can also use coconut oil if she is a licker, and it should pass in time.

Newborn
Newborn

Skin problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skin problems   Skin problems EmptyMon Sep 25, 2017 11:46 am

Thank you all for the advice.
She is looking a little better today, however, my partner and I are still taking her to the vet tomorrow afternoon (only because the vet that saw her last week would be able to see the difference in the condition since last time) Smile Although, Freya has had a few problems already (first worms, then conjunctivitis, and an allergic reaction to the conjunctivitis cream, and now this in the space of two months), so hopefully this time it isn't anything too prolonging!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Skin problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skin problems   Skin problems EmptyMon Sep 25, 2017 1:46 pm

Freya, When going to the vet ask about puppy acne, it really seems like that is the issue, and have read it will eventually clear up. I would also withhold any toys that is made of plastic or rubber until your vet can get a good idea on what is going on. I would also be inclined to ask for a skin scraping, to rule out other issues. Dog food can do this, but often times it is more of a discoloration around the mouth vs the pimple/blisters that appears on your pup.
Back to top Go down
Freya
Newborn
Newborn

Skin problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skin problems   Skin problems EmptyWed Sep 27, 2017 3:29 am

Turns out that Freya has puppy strangles Crying or Very sad The vet has given us steroid tablets to use in conjunction with the antibiotics. She is already looking so much better! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Skin problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skin problems   Skin problems EmptyWed Sep 27, 2017 10:57 am

Glad they found what it was and that you updated us. Teaches us something new to look for and what it looks like. Hope she bounces back soon. Sounds like she's already on the road to recovery. Great to hear!

Newborn
Newborn

Skin problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skin problems   Skin problems EmptyThu Sep 28, 2017 11:59 am

Yes, apparently puppy strangles mostly occur in golden retrievers and labradors. Very rarely in huskies. We got her to the vet at the early stages of the condition development.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Skin problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skin problems   Skin problems EmptyThu Sep 28, 2017 1:15 pm

I had to go looking, since as Jenn said this is something new to us (well, at least me.)
Prognosis seems to be good from what I've read and, except in rare occurrences, is non-reoccurring.
Thanks for the information and especially thanks for the response so we have some idea of what it is should we ever see it again.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Skin problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skin problems   Skin problems Empty

Back to top Go down

Skin problems

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1