It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Huskies in a trio?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Petlovers13579
Newborn
Newborn

huskies - Huskies in a trio? Empty
PostSubject: Huskies in a trio?   huskies - Huskies in a trio? EmptySat Oct 14, 2017 10:01 am

Hi everyone! It is my first time using this fourum and accordingly do not know if this is the right tread to ask this question on (or if i am doing this right). I am planning to get a beautiful husky pup/s in a month, I would like to know if it would be okay to get a trio. I am fully aware of the huge commitment I am making and all the work and teeth grinding i am in for. I have a commited partner and housmate who will happily run/exersize them sepratley. We all jog and ride every day and go hiking on dog friendly trails 2 times a week. We have a huge back yard with fences that no husky could jump. So back to the topic, can huskies be kept in a trio and is there anything I should be aware of. Also, should there be 2 females and a male or 2 males and a female (also pups). Thankyou, I hope you can help. Bye!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in a trio?   huskies - Huskies in a trio? EmptySat Oct 14, 2017 11:43 am

Well, this being the weekend and most of our folks are off doing doggy things with their dogs, I'll respond and hopefully not get to ... off topic?

I'm going to get right to the grit of my concerns.  There are so many things that you don't mention and a few that you skip past that I'm going to have to ask.

First: are either you or your partner experienced with dogs in general or Huskies in particular?  If you're not then your comment that you're "fully aware of the huge commitment" doesn't carry a whole lot of weight, if you don't have some extensive experience with dogs I don't think you are.

Second: are you aware of the challenges of raising even a pair of siblings - when you add in a third sibling, I'm betting that you will at least double those challenges.  Individual training of each pup is a requirement otherwise you end up with pups who "enjoy each others company" to the point that they virtually ignore you.

Third: (and please don't get too upset, I have to ask the question) why are you specifically desiring to get male and female and omit the obvious question of neutering?

That you're an active family while beneficial for an adult dog raises the concern that you'll try to get the pups out and about (exercise) before their bodies are really ready - and that can lead to bone/joint problems in later years.

*My* suggestion to anyone thinking about getting more than one pup at a time is that if you don't have a lot of experience with the breed then get one, see how that goes and you can always add in others. Adding pups from a rescue helps the problem of people who see the breed and think it's so great, only to realize that they are in no way ready to take on the challenge of even one Husky.

You're beginning to ask the right questions and I hope you're not too upset with my answers.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in a trio?   huskies - Huskies in a trio? EmptySat Oct 14, 2017 11:58 am

I wouldn't, but that's just me. Two can be manageable but not advisable, but three is a pack. There are many days I don't like having three adults much less three puppies that all need their own crates taking up most of the house. You seem to have thought about keeping exercise separate but also be aware of the costs of spaying or neutering three at the same time. Puppies also shouldn't be heavily exercised until a year so if you usually do one run a day you will need to multiply that by at least 6 until they are closer to being done growing to protect joints. So each dog would get their own walk twice a day at age appropriate length.

Reputable breeders often won't let you buy multiple Pups at the same time so if you find a breeder that will make sure you get a lot of information on health. Lower quality breeders often don't health test so you could be getting three Pups who will all have costly health problems. Really know the lines you are getting.

Warning and disclaimer out of the way, huskies can be kept in large groups. We have members who have whole teams they work. The dogs are their lives. Most worked up to that many though and you have to be rock solid on training and exercise. Emphasis on training.

Whether to get two males or two females, that depends on the temperament of the dogs. In general females seem to like to rule the roost so you may see more tension between two females but it really depends on the dogs.

Newborn
Newborn
Doray

Female Join date : 2017-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in a trio?   huskies - Huskies in a trio? EmptySat Oct 14, 2017 10:32 pm

We are the same age~! May I ask why three? You don't need to stress yourself with all this "work and teeth grinding" the puppies will surely find a good home. If this is an impulsive thing you're doing I would strongly advise you to hold off on buying the trio.

My husband and I have been around dogs all our lives and are currently raising our two litter mates, they are both boys and almost 1 yo. We never planned on getting two. You do need to be experienced with dogs before deciding on getting a husky. It definitely wasn't easy and all the cuteness of having lil puppy love around the house is soooo not worth it if their social/financial needs can't be met.

We had to be extremely careful while we were raising our two. Littermate symptoms are a real thing, and it can be time consuming and expensive to work around and thankfully we have had no problem with ours. Here are the following things we have done. I am a bit of a worrier so I sent Cody and Jasper to different day cares on alternating days when we were going to work so they became more socialized with other dogs and humans at early stages as well. Socialization and exposure as pups is crucial.

They do need to be trained individually, they will each have their own learning curve. Just like children. They are not going to learn the same tricks at the same time. Walking with three is going to take a ton of practice. You need to be very physically strong to control three dogs. I will be honest and say that there is nooo way I can ever achieve that, they are young pulling dogs after all. Travelling with three can be a nightmare, again we only take them to parks/places etc when we are both available and one car is just designated to them because of the messiness and damage.

What has worked for us was deciding from day 1 that Jasper was going to train with his dad and Cody would train with me and be my biking/snowboarding/walking partner.  They will have a ton of energy to destroy your house if you aren't prepared for random play pen escapes ( I wasn't I thought they were good boys and I have had to replace the flooring, curtains and trims in kitchen/living room) If you're on a rental property its a disaster waiting to happen.

It is expensive. Vet visits, day care, microchips, crates/ play pens, flee prevention for three dogs can pile up. There will be an insane amount of husky hair everywhere, I am not joking about this. I have bought a K9 III blower and a botvac and there is still a ton of husky fur  in my house but I haven't given up on a clean house yet~!

And lastly what will happen to these dogs if something were to happen to you? This is something that I am personally struggling with after learning my rescue dogs story. I know you are willing to give your full commitment, but you are a single person. Huskies are high energy dogs with their own needs

Huskies can be kept in a trio no problem, the bigger issues are the owners. It isn't just a little extra work here and there. You will need to be proactive in order to give them a good quality of life. In my case males have been more tame and pretty laid back/dopey (please do neuter/spay your pups). However, I have read that same gender mates are advised against to avoid hormonal squabbles through the years and reduce rank drive issues.
Back to top Go down
Petlovers13579
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in a trio?   huskies - Huskies in a trio? EmptySun Oct 15, 2017 2:00 am

Firstly, me and my partner grew up with dogs and have owned our own and bred a few in the past. We have partial experience with huskies having kept alaskan huskies in the past.

Secondly, as i said i am fully aware of the challange and am up to it i have witnessed litter mate syndrome. By being active i mean exercicing them when they are old enough to exercise.

Finaly, I will be able to train them separately and are fully aware of the cost. I will be spaying/neutering all three

So, I think I will go for a female and two males based on what twisterll said and will make my finnal decision when seing the pupps in person.

P.s. I am not on a rental property.

Regards, pet lovers
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in a trio?   huskies - Huskies in a trio? EmptySun Oct 15, 2017 2:51 am

I would not do it. I LOVE having multiple Siberians. However, Siberians are a commitment. Don't take this as me questioning your resolve, but theres been plenty of people who get a Siberian and have to live with it 10+ years and find that the breed does not suit them, and they may regret it. To live with x3, is not something I would ever suggest. Thats only a minor concern. Theres the fact that littermate syndrome poses a huge risk when raising puppies together, theres the fact that puppies play off eachothers bad behaviors which can make training across the board harder, and adjusting to life with a Siberian is just overall harder when dealing with two or three instead of one. Also, you cannot jog/run them right away. So having someone committed to exercise them is great, but I do not run my pups until 12 months old, mushing is not until 18 months old.

So, my advice? Start with one. Give it at minimum one full year, preferably two. Survive the puppy stage, and the teenage stage. Feel confident, feel like this is your breed? Then look for another.

Also make sure you're dealing with a reputable breeder - breeders who would be willing to sell three puppies to one new home is not someone who is looking out for their puppies, but moreso their checkbook. Make sure your breeder has OFA scores for both hips and eyes, and ensure they are pairing a complimentary pair. Hows the parents temperament? Their working ability? How are they proven? All things you want to think about for a breeder, especially for pets.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in a trio?   huskies - Huskies in a trio? EmptySun Oct 15, 2017 10:22 am

Hey PetLovers, I saw where you had been on earlier in the day but hadn't responded.

Please don't be offended, we're always concerned about the dogs and how they'll manage. People are generally able to take care of themselves but dogs, puppies especially, need that extra TLC.

If you're certain you can do it, go for it and keep us in the loop, please. I'd love to know how it goes since you do have a challenge ahead of you and once you've gotten the pups maybe you can get some "moral support" on the days when it's not going so well and maybe you can keep us amused by the "puppy events" that you're going to encounter.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in a trio?   huskies - Huskies in a trio? Empty

Back to top Go down

Huskies in a trio?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: General Discussions-