It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy food??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Puppy food?? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy food??   Puppy food?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 5:03 pm

I have access to a lot of great dog food, however, a lot of times, I will order them online because the discounted price makes up for the shipping. The website I order from has stores in Florida and a couple of other southeast states. If I have coupons for Ginger's food, I'll use that to support my local pet store, but otherwise, I can save some money ordering online.

Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food??   Puppy food?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 5:16 pm

Not disputing anything you have said. Just relating my experiences with my dogs, and that I have had positive results with Innova Puppy. I think the book I read said their were diarrhea issues in nonworking dogs due to high protein levels in EVO???? Also I don't think EVO has a puppy formula, but I could be mistaken. I'm still of the opinion that if it isn't broken, don't mess with it, so for now I will continue to feed Innova puppy. I actually have thought about Orijen but can't justify the increased price when my dogs are doing so well at this time.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food??   Puppy food?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 7:31 pm

SabakaMom wrote:
I'm still not convinced that grain-free food containing potatoes as a filler is worth the price difference that many of these manufacturers suggest. I, too, have thought that Acana might be a good choice, but have found Acana to be one of the foods I cannot find in my area. I have 3 great little pet stores, each specializing in brands different than the other ones. One store has the "If you want it and we don't stock it perhaps we can order it" sign on the dog food wall.

I'm currently feeding a Merrick puppy food. But Merrick is a VERY new company and I wonder how long it will survive. I really should think more positively Neutral

Have you looked online as an option? I typically order my dog food online since it's almost always cheaper than buying it locally, even with shipping included!

Merrick is not bad, they have some good formulas. They've had some recalls last year but otherwise have been okay. I sometimes buy Merrick canned food and I also buy the Merrick treats like dehydrated liver and lung.

beck3465 wrote:
I think the book I read said their were diarrhea issues in nonworking dogs due to high protein levels in EVO????

Evo is a very rich food and it can be too rich for some dogs, I think Tori tried Evo with her dogs and it was too rich for them. Hopefully she'll jump in and clarify. Knowing that it is a rich food, it is very easy to overfed which will also result in diarrhea. I know with my sibe he ate 1.75 cups of Evo daily, if he ate 2 cups of Evo he got diarrhea...it was a very fine line to walk.

beck3465 wrote:
Also I don't think EVO has a puppy formula, but I could be mistaken.

Nope, there is no puppy formula for Evo. Now Evo is labeled as an all life stages food but due to the calcium to phosphorus ratios and high protein it really is better suited for adult dogs, not puppies. But again, you will find many people out there who fed their dogs Evo throughout puppyhood and their dogs developed just fine. Of course where you're more likely to find issues with growth on such a food would be more with the larger/giant breeds.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food??   Puppy food?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 7:41 pm

beck3465 wrote:
I think the book I read said their were diarrhea issues in nonworking dogs due to high protein levels in EVO????
The book isn't wrong. There are a lot of dogs who do not do well on Evo because it is too rich. It depends on your dog's sensitivity. However, Val is simply stating that there are plenty of non-working dogs who do well on it.

Every dog is different, and it's best to keep that in mind. Just because a dog does well on a food doesn't mean that every owner feels comfortable remaining on the formula. Dog food is a personal choice between the owner and the dog, because it doesn't matter how "good" a food is for a dog if that particular dog doesn't do well on it.

However, personally, I like to feed the best quality food that I can afford and that my dogs do well on.

Puppy food?? - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food??   Puppy food?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:42 pm

When we were on our kibble hunt we tried EVO. Everyone LOVED it, but they had the most horrid gas ever. So that was that. But we didn't have the diarrhea issue, thankfully Smile

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food??   Puppy food?? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy food??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2