It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

7 month old Husky plays rough with my older pit

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
godzilla90fan
Newborn
Newborn

7 month old Husky plays rough with my older pit Empty
PostSubject: 7 month old Husky plays rough with my older pit   7 month old Husky plays rough with my older pit EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 11:12 am

Hey everyone, this is my first post, never had difficulty training a dog until I got a Husky lol. Anyway, I have a sweet little Husky named Zero, and aside from the occasional gentle nipping of fingers as you walk by, he is a sweetheart. That is, until I let my other dog in the same room as him. My other dog is a large pit bull, again very sweet, never harmed anyone, but I think thats the problem. The smaller husky almost picks on him, and has several times left scratches near (not on) his eye, but close enough to make me me seriously worry if I should allow them to play together at all. My pit will just rub his head on him, put his paws on his back occasionally, toss around. But the Husky is grabbing chunks of extra skin and pulling on them (no bite marks or yelping) and it just looks like he is trying to fight him while my pit just wants to play, he refuses to fight back rough at all, its not in his nature. Any advice? Am I just being overprotective of my older dog? He is 2 and a half if it matters. Thank you for any input, they are both sweet dogs, I just want them to be able to play together safely
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old Husky plays rough with my older pit   7 month old Husky plays rough with my older pit EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 11:51 am

What you are seeing is typical husky play. That's just how they do. They also usually do it very loudly with growls and yips. It's like listening to bears wrestle. My girl will grab my poor gsd mix by the face and drag him all around the house. He's got some hound in him so that extra skin can really stretch. When she grabs my male husky though his skin doesn't have the stretch so he makes her work at pulling him around. he doesn't care for it but he puts up with it and growls back at her and tries to knock her down. If your husky is leaving marks then I would separate before the excitement gets high enough for him to bite that hard. Let them play but start capping the level of roughness you let them go to. When it starts getting too intense (ie. going to do damage) then just separate them, do something else with your husky or make them both sit for a bit to calm down and then release them to go back to playing.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old Husky plays rough with my older pit   7 month old Husky plays rough with my older pit EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 1:02 pm

Jenn is spot on - I always say "Husky play is NOT for the faint of heart" It looks like a pair of wolves in a fight to the death lol!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old Husky plays rough with my older pit   7 month old Husky plays rough with my older pit EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 1:47 pm

I had to laugh at "Okay guys, let's go!" yep, that got expected Husky reaction!!

For the OP, in addition to Ami's comment that "Husky play is NOT for the faint of heart" there's another phrase that makes the rounds "Huskies Play ROUGH!!" My two (Avalanche and Sky) will stand in the middle of the living room and box for a while before they get down and chew on each other.

I do agree with Jenn, when it gets too rough, step in and "take a break." With my two roughnecking dogs I use "Easy!" meaning bring it down a notch or five and "Enough!" meaning you're tearing up the house, STOP!!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old Husky plays rough with my older pit   7 month old Husky plays rough with my older pit EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 2:17 pm

aljones wrote:
I had to laugh at "Okay guys, let's go!" yep, that got expected Husky reaction!!

!!!

Yeah....I sort of settle for herding generally in the desired direction tongue
Back to top Go down
GlitzyPandora38
Newborn
Newborn
GlitzyPandora38

Female Join date : 2017-04-12

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old Husky plays rough with my older pit   7 month old Husky plays rough with my older pit EmptyFri Nov 17, 2017 12:20 am

I have an older mastiff/lab mix (about 9 years old). My 11 mo. old husky plays rough with him all the time. My mom gets scared every time they play. The older dog sounds like a bear on his own when he growls, so when they're both playing it sounds like they're fighting. If he looks like he's getting annoyed and no longer playing I just hold my husky back till she catches her breath and she usually calms down a bit. But yea, that's just the way his kids play. Some people at the dog park think she's aggressive when she just wants to play.
Back to top Go down
Cynthia N Bowen
Newborn
Newborn
Cynthia N Bowen

Female Join date : 2017-11-11

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old Husky plays rough with my older pit   7 month old Husky plays rough with my older pit EmptyFri Nov 17, 2017 12:55 pm

my 8 week old does the same with my boys lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old Husky plays rough with my older pit   7 month old Husky plays rough with my older pit Empty

Back to top Go down

7 month old Husky plays rough with my older pit

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1