It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hit by a car - new fear

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Maverick88
Newborn
Newborn

Hit by a car - new fear Empty
PostSubject: Hit by a car - new fear   Hit by a car - new fear EmptyWed Dec 13, 2017 7:33 pm

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping maybe someone has had experience with what I am currently dealing with. My 3 year old husky got hit by a car last month. We have no idea how it happened but whenever he is outside he is on a long lead, has been all his life because we live on a busy road. He's not a runner and he's great off leash but as a precaution I always put him on his chain when outside the house. Long story short my hubby was out working in the garage and as usual brought maverick out with him on his chain to hang out. All of a sudden his lead was there but he wasn't, it didn't break, his collar didn't break either, not sure what happened. We found him in our neighbours drive way with a broken leg and luckily after rushing to the vet nothing else was damaged somehow...people do at least 90km on this road, very lucky. Now it's been 4 weeks since his orthopedic surgery so I'm allowed to start walking him. But he is absolutely terrified of moving vehicles which makes perfect sense as to why he would be. Otherwise he is a very outgoing, confident dog but he wants to dart from the cars and i would like to slowly build his coconfidence back up so that we can walk comfortably but I also dont want to rush him. Does anyone have any advice? I've been taking him to a quiet trail to walk but to get there there is at least 1 min of walking on the side walk. Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
IamtheAlpha
Puppy
Puppy
IamtheAlpha

Female Join date : 2017-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Hit by a car - new fear   Hit by a car - new fear EmptyWed Dec 13, 2017 8:49 pm

Oh no! So sorry to hear that. I am glad he is doing better. Hopefully his fear goes away soon and he can get back to normal. But as I was told, Huskies don't forget. Sad Good luck.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Hit by a car - new fear   Hit by a car - new fear EmptyThu Dec 14, 2017 3:23 am

I'll bet your not did what mine did when we first got him...he was tethered a lot at first. Disappeared one evening, when I went out to get him. He was gone, the tether was laying in the snow with intact snap, no footprints to indicate someone took him...just gone. He came back, collar intact. A few days later, off tether. Mystified. Until I saw him lying down, slowly, persistently working at the snap with his teeth. He learned to undo the snap!!! I put a second snap on the tether and that solved it.

As for his fear, I would slowly, using treats and small birds of time, walk him on the sidewalk then being him back to ", safety" gradually increase the time out as he tolerates. Try not tho exceed what he can tolerates at any one time.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Hit by a car - new fear   Hit by a car - new fear EmptyThu Dec 14, 2017 3:35 am

Hey Maverick, welcome to the world of Huskies!! and sorry your guy got hit ... that's the pits but, as LoAn already said, I'm glad that he's getting better.

Your confidence level is going to help a lot with his new and understandable fear. And it would be quite understandable if you were a bit nervous.  As you said, you don't want to push him - in the first place that could be bad for a healing leg, in the second place he needs to build up his confidence again to be able to be around the vehicles - - but maybe a little reticence to go there might be a good thing.

What you might consider, as other members do, is to use a second connection between his collar/harness and his lead.  A carribineer<sp> between the lead and the collar in addition to the clip on the lead. That does two things, first it provides a solid backup if the first connector breaks or comes loose; second, it really forces you to make sure the connections are in place.  I have a squirmy husky and there have been a couple of times that I've missed the connector on the collar and stood there with a "damn!" watching the silly dog run off - my saving grace is that I live in the remotest country I could find and there's almost no traffic on the dirt road that runs by my place.

ETA: Hi Amy!! Posting at the same time!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Hit by a car - new fear   Hit by a car - new fear EmptySat Dec 16, 2017 11:57 am

Sounds like you should a find a good trainer in your area to help. I would start by teaching him a "look at me" command, and practice it a lot inside the house, then practice in your back yard and move to the front yard, well away from the road. The goal would be to eventually get him to the point where if you see a car coming you can give him the command and he will be more focused on you than the vehicle. Also, make sure you are putting yourself between him and the car, you become a sort of barrier. But definitely look into a trainer to go work with you and your pup, and remember there is no one way, so if one way just isn't working then talk to your trainer about trying a different method.
Back to top Go down
Maverick88
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hit by a car - new fear   Hit by a car - new fear EmptySat Dec 16, 2017 11:59 am

Thanks for the advice I will definitely give this a try!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hit by a car - new fear   Hit by a car - new fear Empty

Back to top Go down

Hit by a car - new fear

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1